Help me spend $10k (or more) on a kickass rig
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #76 of 94
I guess the Oppo DAC is available over HDMI. I'm not sure I understand your use case though unless you're considering an additional disc player.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #77 of 94
What does it do?

What?! Wait until Fried sees this post :wink:

P.S. No DSD no MQA no service :wink:

As far as the Oppo 205 goes it's pretty killer even for the stiff price we had to pay in Europe. I can't find fault with it except maybe it's more analytical with some recordings than I would like.

I'm surprised @dmdm didn't post in this thread; he has dumped a crapton of money on gear lately and probably has some helpful comments to make.

Improves the clocking / jitter of your source signal.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #78 of 94
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #79 of 94
I guess the Oppo DAC is available over HDMI. I'm not sure I understand your use case though unless you're considering an additional disc player.

I'm just saying that if I were to send a digital signal to an outboard DAC from the Oppo, it would have to be over HDMI or else the data would be down-rezzed to CD quality or close to it (basic Dolby Digital quality at best) if I were to use either of the S/PDIF outputs. Since there are hardly any outboard DACs intended for the headphone market that include HDMI inputs, my options are severely limited. And since I don't believe any of the viable options would be worth their price over the Oppo's very competent onboard analog processing, it makes the most sense for me to continue using the Oppo's built in conversion and simply feed it's analog outs directly to an amp.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #80 of 94
I'm just saying that if I were to send a digital signal to an outboard DAC from the Oppo, it would have to be over HDMI or else the data would be down-rezzed to CD quality or close to it (basic Dolby Digital quality at best) if I were to use either of the S/PDIF outputs. Since there are hardly any outboard DACs intended for the headphone market that include HDMI inputs, my options are severely limited. And since I don't believe any of the viable options would be worth their price over the Oppo's very competent onboard analog processing, it makes the most sense for me to continue using the Oppo's built in conversion and simply feed it's analog outs directly to an amp.

What is the point of using an external DAC with the Oppo? I just can't understand where you're going with this.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #81 of 94
I've definitely decided to go the multiple headphones route, and multiple amps, as I like variety. I only have one headphone so far (HD800S, with a ZMF Auteur on order), and it's already clear that for rock music they sound better with my GS-X Mini, whereas for classical they really shine better with my Mogwai SE. I like having multiple pairings to choose from, as it's more fun, as you say.

One major difference in my setup from most others is that I don't use a computer for streaming or file playing. 100% of my music is on disc formats, and 90% of that is high resolution formats (SACD, Blu-ray pure audio, DVD-Audio) which cannot be output from my player by any means other than HDMI or analog. That means that my DAC options are extremely limited. Basically I can use the extremely good DACs built into my UDP-205 (ESS 9038 Pro), or I can use an outboard DAC that accepts audio HDMI. The only two DACs I know of that have HDMI inputs are the Bryston BDA-3 and one or two of the Denafrips units. I like Bryston products, but anyone would have a hard time convincing me that any outboard DAC, aside from maybe the DAVE, would be an audible improvement over the superb performance of the Oppo. I'm certainly not going to spend $4k for the Bryston just to find out. I'm in the camp that says DACs make very little difference, if any, as long as they are competently designed. For that reason, my focus is entirely on just headphones and amps.

I really like the DNA tube amps, though I haven't heard them yet. If I didn't love the Mogwai so much, I'd be looking hard at a Stratus or Stellaris.

Great set up you have there. Like you, my priorities are always Headphones >> Amps >>>> Source. Seeing how you already have a solid state and tube amp that you enjoy I don't think I can recommend anything I've tested that can outright best your current setup. CDs are more prominent in the 90s so you might want to explore some older sonic frontier cd players to see if you prefer their tuning but other than that your source should be more than capable of supporting your downstream equipment.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #83 of 94
I'm very happy with all my gear and I wouldn't change a thing to answer you're question about what I would do differently. Check my sig for the gear list. The cavalli tube and abyss tcs show up this week, then a couple of audio sensibility statement silver cables and I'm done for a while. I have to take a break according to my wife lol.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #84 of 94
I'm very happy with all my gear and I wouldn't change a thing to answer you're question about what I would do differently. Check my sig for the gear list. The cavalli tube and abyss tcs show up this week, then a couple of audio sensibility statement silver cables and I'm done for a while. I have to take a break according to my wife lol.
You still need a full endgame tube amp like a primaluna or cayin.

Also your wife is very tolerant, considering your history of the past few months :D

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #86 of 94
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #88 of 94
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #89 of 94
What is the point of using an external DAC with the Oppo? I just can't understand where you're going with this.

I don't really think there is a point in doing so, which WAS my point :smile_phones: But there is so much talk on head-fi about this DAC and that DAC and this one sounds like this and that one sounds like that, that I began to wonder if there was anything to be gained by exploring an outboard option. But since there are no reasonable options that I think could be better than what's in the player already, I've stopped exploring.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #90 of 94
I don't really think there is a point in doing so, which WAS my point :smile_phones: But there is so much talk on head-fi about this DAC and that DAC and this one sounds like this and that one sounds like that, that I began to wonder if there was anything to be gained by exploring an outboard option. But since there are no reasonable options that I think could be better than what's in the player already, I've stopped exploring.

I have other DACs which I also enjoy either for the sound or features. You can never have too many. But, given you are playing SACD and the Oppo does not do a DSD bitstream for SACD you have no option aside from buying an additional rig. If I understand what you have written until now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back