Help me spend $10k (or more) on a kickass rig
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #46 of 94
RAAL SR1a. ZMF Verite. And if you wanted the risk, add in garbage HiFiMan to really cover the audio spectrum.

For amps, building around a GS-X is versatile although I'd urge you to go down the DIY-route. You may not afford the patience.
I like the recommendation of an all-in-one. The Bartok is quite nice and a elegant solution.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #47 of 94
RAAL SR1a. ZMF Verite. And if you wanted the risk, add in garbage HiFiMan to really cover the audio spectrum.

For amps, building around a GS-X is versatile although I'd urge you to go down the DIY-route. You may not afford the patience.
I like the recommendation of an all-in-one. The Bartok is quite nice and a elegant solution.

funny how I said that two years ago, now I wont trade it for anything else.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #48 of 94

Can you share a link to the hifiman garbage?
Never heard of that Model before

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #49 of 94
Utopia + Arctic Cable silver
GSX mini
Rockna Wavelight (have not heard this myself but am wanting one..)
SOtM 200ultra neo
Farad Super 3 for the sotm + Ghent Audio dc cable
Finish off with some stuff from Triode Wire Labs (xlr interconnect, ethernet cable), Phasure (lush^2 cable), nice power cables (if you're into that).

Should be within your 10-15k budget. The rockna is the only thing I'm suggesting which is not something I already have.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #51 of 94
Utopia + Arctic Cable silver
GSX mini
Rockna Wavelight (have not heard this myself but am wanting one..)
SOtM 200ultra neo
Farad Super 3 for the sotm + Ghent Audio dc cable
Finish off with some stuff from Triode Wire Labs (xlr interconnect, ethernet cable), Phasure (lush^2 cable), nice power cables (if you're into that).

Should be within your 10-15k budget. The rockna is the only thing I'm suggesting which is not something I already have.
+1 Sotm 200 ultra neo
and good power

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #52 of 94
Allo DigiOne Signature and Shanti power supply - $725
Topping D90 DAC - $900
Benchmark HPA - $3000
Audeze LCD-4 - $4000
Blue Jeans digital and Audio cable - $150

You save about one grand.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #53 of 94
Allo DigiOne Signature and Shanti power supply - $725
Topping D90 DAC - $900
Benchmark HPA - $3000
Audeze LCD-4 - $4000
Blue Jeans digital and Audio cable - $150

You save about one grand.

Unfortunately I've had to cross the LCD-4 off my list due to the unacceptable treble suckout. I don't have the ability to fix it with EQ as my source is a desktop disc player.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #54 of 94
I love these philosophical debates. It helps to keep my mind open.

I'll mention also that I don't like streaming, or file downloads, or using a computer/phone/DAP as a music source. I deeply dislike that trend. I'm strictly an old-school disc-spinning guy who has a high-end player with an outstanding DAC and analog circuitry built in (Oppo UDP-205). I therefore am not considering the purchase of any outboard DAC or USB-related device. I firmly believe that no properly made DAC that supports the media being played should impart any sonic signature of its own, and should simply do it's technical job of conversion.

I had great analog rigs from the early 80's culminating in a Koetsu Rosewood Sig on a Clearaudio straight tracker, on a VPI TNT Jr in an isolated closet feeding a Pass Ono, Pass P, Pass X-150, w/ Verity Parsifals. I hated digital from the first TELARC LP onward. Then in early 2015 a Schitt Gumby and an old hi-end Sony CD player wandered in. I listened for 10 hours a day for weeks, and concluded zero fatigue, 2 slighty wrong notes (wish I could remember which), and maybe only 40 of my 12.2k records sounded better that this comparatively low cost option. I've only got about 260 LP/CD left to sell, and that crazy high end analog gear is long gone.

About 4 months ago I switched from CD to streaming TIDAL hi-res over my V-40. I've had to keep some SACD and enhanced CD's because TIDAL doesn't have everything. UAPP has a great parametric EQ as well, so it's hi-res or EQ all the way.

Don't miss my zerostat, ultrasonic stylus cleaner, fluxbuster, and VPI HW-17F - at all.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #56 of 94
Raal SR1A + JOTR ?

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #57 of 94
Someone recently asked "How do you know when you're at the endgame?"

I was tempted to reply "When you've run out of money"

I'm not out of money yet, so I want to make a serious shot at assembling some phones and amps that will satisfy me for years to come.

I want two or three headphones and two or three amps that will provide a variety of experiences, while staying close to what I like. What do I like? Smooth, articulate, extended bass response (but I'm not a bass junky), clear, smooth midrange, silky, airy treble, great imaging and spacious soundstage. Pretty much the best of all the attributes. I know that's difficult to achieve, and one must part with some cash to get it. But the most important thing is the fun factor. I'll accept technical flaws if the thing sounds musical and puts a permagrin on my face. I think a budget of $10-15k oughta be plenty.

I've had the LCD-X for a couple of years and I like them, but they don't do enough of the things I want well enough to stop there. I plan to keep them though. I've had a modded HD 800, and though it was impressive, it had no soul. I sold it after about a month.

I listen to about 50% classical, 40% prog rock, and about 10% acoustic jazz. I'm 55 so don't laugh.

I've assembled a working short list that I think would be appropriate for the kind of music I listen to:

Hifiman HE1000se - Tyll fell in love with the original HEK, and he was so pleased he said it made him suck his thumb while floating on a cloud. Or something to that effect. He declared it one of his desert island headphones. Given how much love they get from everyone else too, I simply have to try them. From all accounts they ought to be a stellar choice for classical, especially smaller ensembles.

ZMF Verite (open back) - reviewers describe these as though they're on a really good acid trip. Seriously, they're so good people are having seizures. Please, they can't be THAT good, can they? I want to find out what "3D holographic soundstaging" sounds like. And boy, they do look nice. That's important.

ZMF Pendant tube amp - made Apple TV 4by Ampandsound for ZMF, reviewers seem to universally love it. Apparently Zach chose the stock tubes to specifically complement ZMF headphones, so it seems like a good place to start. I've never had, or even heard, a tube amp. I've always been a SS guy. But this amp is reported to provide a mild tube sound, so probably is a good choice for me to get my feet wet in the toob pool.

Headamp GS-X Mini - One of Tyll's favorites, and is reported to be pitch black quiet and has all the great attributes of it's bigger brother, but in a single chassis with a more reasonable price tag. I want a neutral SS amp to serve as a benchmark when I start (inevitably?) playing with toobs. Plus, it will drive just about anything quite well. To top it off, it comes in a variety of candy colors.

I also plan to build a Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, just because it will be fun as hell to build.

Yeah I know, I know...get a Glenn OTL. I can't wait that long, and frankly they don't have the looks to match the performance. Maybe that's part of why they're so affordable. I might change my mind at some point, but for now I'm considering other options.

So, do you like my choices? Feel free to point me elsewhere if you have some better ideas. Don't suggest Abyss though, as I don't like those at all.
Keep your two phones (LCD X, HD800 SDR) add a Smith A16 Realiser, a THX headphone amp, and any of the 115+ Sinad DACS that have been evaluated on ASR. Also a tactile sub like the Sub PAC, and an LG OLED plus an Apple TV 4k.

All You'll get for your money is the ability to emulate any high end speaker, duplicate it in up to 24 channels, plus the lowest distortion electronics to amplify the audio feed from theA16 and a state of the art personal home theater system in the Apple TV and the LG OLED. Now isn't that a better use of money thana 5k tube headphone amp?

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #58 of 94
Keep your two phones (LCD X, HD800 SDR) add a Smith A16 Realiser, a THX headphone amp, and any of the 115+ Sinad DACS that have been evaluated on ASR. Also a tactile sub like the Sub PAC, and an LG OLED plus an Apple TV 4k.

All You'll get for your money is the ability to emulate any high end speaker, duplicate it in up to 24 channels, plus the lowest distortion electronics to amplify the audio feed from theA16 and a state of the art personal home theater system in the Apple TV and the LG OLED. Now isn't that a better use of money thana 5k tube headphone amp?
No

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #59 of 94

Nope. I'm a big fan of surround music, I have a large 5.1 and quad collection of music, and I've had my eye on the A16 for years. But it still has too many problems for it to be a viable product. The company has deplorable communication, every new firmware update contains more bugs, it still is a long way from supporting all the promised features, and the company is financially hanging on by a thread. If Smyth manages to stay in business, it will likely be years before the A16 is a stable, fully featured product that I would be willing to shell out $4k for. If that day ever comes, I may buy one.

IMO, a really good tube amp is almost unbeatable as far as headphone amplification is concerned. And 5k is not too much to pay for a really good one.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #60 of 94
MiniDSP SHD - $1.2k
Benchmark HPA4 - $3k
Focal Utopia - $4k
Hifiman Arya - $1.6k

You can use MiniDSP to EQ the sound so it resembles a tube amp, and it can stream whatever you want. No need to buy multiple Amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back