Help me spend $10k (or more) on a kickass rig
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #31 of 94
HE1000se and Susvara are the headphones that I personally found does most things right at the same time as no aspects are annoying, not even after long time. In other words they have the most balanced sound as well as being one of the most comfortable to wear for a long time, IMO.

Like Readcarmoose I believe all components in the audio chain is of importance and not just the headphones.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #32 of 94
I love these philosophical debates. It helps to keep my mind open.

I'll mention also that I don't like streaming, or file downloads, or using a computer/phone/DAP as a music source. I deeply dislike that trend. I'm strictly an old-school disc-spinning guy who has a high-end player with an outstanding DAC and analog circuitry built in (Oppo UDP-205). I therefore am not considering the purchase of any outboard DAC or USB-related device. I firmly believe that no properly made DAC that supports the media being played should impart any sonic signature of its own, and should simply do it's technical job of conversion.

I was primarily a vinyl listener, but couldn’t take the room of vinyl where I was going. What I was left with was learning about computer audio or CD transports or CD player. For years and years I was anti USB. Later I found in my current system that CDs playing 16/44.1 Redbook discs are inferior to the digital source I get from the Walkmans simply acting as a digital source. Yes it’s USB but a far smaller and simpler computer. Going back to back the Rega Planet transport to the Walkmans was a big difference with 16/44.1 files. The only hassle is ripping all the discs. There may be a better transport disc player but I’ve stopped trying.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #33 of 94
I was primarily a vinyl listener, but couldn’t take the room of vinyl where I was going. What I was left with was learning about computer audio or CD transports or CD player. For years and years I was anti USB. Later I found in my current system that CDs playing 16/44.1 Redbook discs are inferior to the digital source I get from the Walkmans simply acting as a digital source. Yes it’s USB but a far smaller and simpler computer. Going back to back the Rega Planet transport to the Walkmans was a big difference with 16/44.1 files. The only hassle is ripping all the discs. There may be a better transport disc player but I’ve stopped trying.

I completely understand where you're coming from. But I rarely listen to CD. Nearly all my music discs are SACD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-ray Audio. So it's almost all high-res. And 90% of them have quad or 5.1 mixes. My source needs to be able to downmix multichannel into 2-channel in the digital realm before outputting a stereo signal. That's one reason why the Oppo will remain my primary source component.

Discussions of sources, DACs and the so-called "obvious front end shortcomings" are interesting, but irrelevant. I'm only interested in suggestions of analog amps and headphones to consider, because that's all I'm going to buy for the foreseeable future.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #36 of 94
I use the balanced headphone out of the UDP-205 to my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp about 75% of my listening. I also play many discs on the Oppo, SACD, Bluray, concert films you name it.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 94
I use the balanced headphone out of the UDP-205 to my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp about 75% of my listening. I also play many discs on the Oppo, SACD, Bluray, concert films you name it.

I assume you mean the balanced stereo outputs. The headphone output is single ended.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #38 of 94
So... Why is nobody talking about electrostats?

I'll recommend you either the lambda or omega series. The cheapest lambda is clearer than any dynamic or planar I've ever listened to. I can't stand anything other than estat now.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #39 of 94
So... Why is nobody talking about electrostats?

I'll recommend you either the lambda or omega series. The cheapest lambda is clearer than any dynamic or planar I've ever listened to. I can't stand anything other than estat now.

Just cuz nobody but you has suggested them until now. :) I dig what stats can do. I've owned electrostatic speakers and loved them. I couple years ago I listened to the Mr. Speakers Ether stats and was impressed. Haven't heard any Stax sets though. The 007 and 009 are obviously popular and well regarded.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #40 of 94
Yes, that's what I mean. That feeds from the same 9038 dac the onboard headphone amp uses. The other 9038pro is used for the HDMI and analog out connections. I use those connections exclusively for any multi channel discs. That is why I have the Marantz as well, it's hard to find a receiver with 7.1 analog in. And when I first discovered Oppo with analog out multi channel I was in heaven. That first one was the DV980-H. I have several more now , 103, 203, 205

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #41 of 94
I know, that's why I added if you're willing to go for used items. A used Susvara costs pretty much the same as a HekSE.
Otherwise I totally understand that the "price/performance" ratio of the HekSE is noteably better.

On the other hand, with the amount you're willing to invest it is possible to go for the very best.(for your music taste)
Either way, both are excellent headphones.

I rather take a used susvara over HEK-se to be honest, but prepare for repair cost out of warranty.
its warmer, and the bass is much better, I owned both but I would have a hard time getting rid of either. Guns to my head, HEK-se have to go.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #42 of 94
...I would have a hard time getting rid of either. Guns to my head, HEK-se have to go.

I'm sure the Susvara is better, but doubtful it's $2500 better. That's why I lean more toward the HEKse. But I may change my mind.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 94
Just cuz nobody but you has suggested them until now. :) I dig what stats can do. I've owned electrostatic speakers and loved them. I couple years ago I listened to the Mr. Speakers Ether stats and was impressed. Haven't heard any Stax sets though. The 007 and 009 are obviously popular and well regarded.

I see! Well, as you can see in my sig I've owned a lot of headphones, and I have a pretty eclectic taste in music. Classical, pop, metal, acoustic, rock and so on. Stax does it all, except bass-centric music like hiphop and old school dubstep - these genres rely too much on sub bass, which is not something estats does nearly as well as planars or dynamics. But few headphones do those genres justice anyway.

My current system of L500 + 006t has been a long journey, but for my own tastes in music is truly the peak of audio fidelity, with one or two exceptions. I think the L500 is easily better than ANY of the planars or dynamics I've heard. That includes the well known Sennheisers (HD800 and HD650), the old Denons, Fostexes, LCD-series and so on. The top Stax are much less one trick ponies than the estats of yore - I'll say the L500, L700, SR-007 and SR-009 of the current lineup are excellent allround phones.

The key thing, if you are to go the way of the Stax, is to figure out what is the most important for you in terms of audio. To quickly compare the Stax phones I mentioned, I'll first say that any of the mentioned Stax have extremely good imaging, soundstaging, immense detail, speed and clarity.

SR-L500/SR-L700 - Almost identical, L700 a tad more forward sounding, giving the sound an ever so slightly more bright and analytical feeling. Far from cold, but a tad bit more in the analytical direction than the L500. I personally view the L500 as the more balanced simply because, while forward sounding, it isn't bright or fatiguing in the slightest, which I do find the L700 and L300 to be. Just a touch though, and far, far from as bright as HD800, for instance.

Stax SR-007 - I've only owned the mk1s, but the current in production is still very similar I am told. These headphones have a tad bit more immersive imaging, a bit more microdetail, but most importantly, more body. The key thing here is that these are the electrostats that have a more mellow/dark/laid back sound, which is excellent for long term listening. The amount of body in the sound make them more well rounded, making them suitable for even hip hop. The drawback is, to my ears, they lack treble energy for classical music - Violin, cello and so on aren't as satisfying as I personally prefer. The 009 and Lambdas does this better to my ears. I think it sounds more realistic or just more satisfying to my ears.

SR-009 - A lot more forward than the 007, and even the L700. Details and microdetails are pushed more forward in the mix, making them a bit more analytical sounding. The best imaging and soundstage of the headphones, and the technically best, with SR-007 in a very close second (mostly for soundstaging reasons). The major issue here is, it is too bright for many, including me.

For active, focused listening to acoustic/classical and similar genres, I'd go for the 009. For allround listening for hours, the 007 or the lambdas, depending on your taste in music. I think of course these headphones are awesome for active, focused listening.

I also want to say that the difference between these headphones really are very small. If I had to choose one headphone to own for the rest of my life, I would pick the L500. Not because its better, but because for my "neutral", its the closest. For other ears, that might be 007 or 009, or perhaps more likely the L700.

Since you have the money to spend, I would try to demo the 009 and the 007, and the 009S. If you like the signature of any of these three phones, the lambdas are just a tad step down in most aspects. If, however, you find the 007 too dull, or the 009 too bright, know that the technical differences are small, and the price jump large.

Another thing I'd like to add is that for some reason, I think Stax headphones sound a lot better tubed. Thats just my subjective experience, but going from SS to tube was quite a revelation, even though I really didn't expect any sonic difference.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #44 of 94
What do I like? Smooth, articulate, extended bass response (but I'm not a bass junky), clear, smooth midrange, silky, airy treble, great imaging and spacious soundstage.

This sounds like the Susvara's sound signature,hence id recommend a rig built around that . My suggestion will be Susvara out of a First watt/Pass labs amp. Reason for that is because my experience with first watt/pass labs amps is that theyre more on the musical end of things.

Just my experience,
Been there in the stax honeymoon , but went back to the traditional dynamics and planars after while
I use my dynamics more than my estats these days . MY 007s ( 007mk2 port modded , 007 mk1) and 009s along with my BHSE and KGSSHV Carbon has just been sitting there collecting dust.
I had no idea how well the HD6x0 and HD800 scale until ive heard them out of a true TOTL amp. I like them more than all the staxes .
The whole chain has to be taken into account when forming a good system
Ive misjudged headphones in the past by just considering the headphones themselves, without even hearing them in a rig that was made for them. For instance, i used to hate the HD800, but now i like them a lot now when paired with the DNA Stellaris. I used to think of it as a sharp , thin and boring sound signature, but with the right amp it turns into a musical, sweet and punchy sounding headphone while maintaining its strengths( imaging , resolution)

Bear in mind that these are just my based on my preferences. I can see one preferring the more ethereal, effortless presentation of the staxes but it got boring for me after the initial wow period.

Also for the ultimate fidelity, the top tier planars (Abyss TC/Susvara) on a good rig completely wipes the floor with any estat setup ive heard, even driven by the T2 which ive had for a month. This also includes the HE-1
The 2 planars have been popularly regarded as the 'endgame' for resolution/technicalities.
Theres also the sr1a but that sounds less like a headphone so im not going into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back