Help me select a new IEM Vsonic GR07 MK2 or UE Triple Fi 10?
Nov 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

excalis

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to these forums. I have spent several weeks reading reviews of several members here and have narrowed it down to either getting VSonic GR07 MK2 or a UE TF10 (Blackbox not Logitech). I originalIy had Sony MDR-EX600 thrown into the mix but eliminated it as a choice since it has become harder to find and is now in the $200 range with few sellers.

I can get them about the same price online for about $160 which is within my price range. I have heard that the GR07 are an all around average performer  (iem-wise) that do not stand out in particular and are very accurate. I however want an iem that stands out a bit with wow factor. I currently own a Sony MW600 bluetooth with HPM-78 Headphones that came with it which has decent bass but nothing to brag about. I spent about $40 on them I feel they sound better than the Bose In-Ear Headphones (Old Version) I have used previously.

I usually listen to Classic 80's, Trance, DJ mixes and would prefer something that has bass and treble stand out a bit. I currently use my iphone as my portable music player. I  Set my EQ for Treble and Bass to stand out more than mids.

I have a preference on high fidelity and 3D spacious effects as well.

I haven't owned any real decent IEMs and the local stores only sell Beats and Bose for testing which I find more overated than my $40 bluetooth headphones.

I will use them mostly on my iPhone and switch to PC occasionally. I do not plan on getting an dac/amp any time soon either.

What would you guys recommend? 

Any input would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 14
The Both (UE TF10Pro, GR07) match well for these genres music and they are very detailed with wide soundstage but TF10Pro are more on neutral side and GR07 are slighly warm. TF10Pro offers good punchy bass and extended highs and GR07 offers tight punchy dynamic bass but overall are very balanced and highs are not that extended compared to TF10Pro but GR07 sound more wider and spacial with better midrange details.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 14
The Both (UE TF10Pro, GR07) match well for these genres music and they are very detailed with wide soundstage but TF10Pro are more on neutral side and GR07 are slighly warm. TF10Pro offers good punchy bass and extended highs and GR07 offers tight punchy dynamic bass but overall are very balanced and highs are not that extended compared to TF10Pro but GR07 sound more wider and spacial with better midrange details.

I would have a different opinion. I have both of thes IEM's and the GR07 has a neutral signature and the TF10 is v-shaped.

The GR07 has the much better bass reach of the two and will get to lower bass levels that the TF10 cannot manage at all.

The TF10, have a sparkly treble, and a tight, punchy bass and better detail than the GR07's, however, because of it's v-shaped sound signature, the mids are a little recessed..

In short, if you need extended bass reach, and with an otherwise neutral sound, then pick the GR07. If you want better detail and clarity, but with not as much bass depth and slightly recessed mids, pick the TF10.

Given some other reports on here about the T-Peos H100 Hybrid outclassing both the TF10 and the GR07 however, you might want to read that thread, because there is a head-fi special offer on that makes that IEM a very attractive price.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks guys for your input. I've decided to get the TF10s since I do tend to lean towards the v shape curves that do recesses mids a bit since I usually up the treble and bass higher than mids anyway.  Also, I was able to get the TF10 vi for the same $160 so I will be able to make use of the mic and control.

I will post what I think of them once I recieve them. Thanks.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Thanks guys for your input. I've decided to get the TF10s since I do tend to lean towards the v shape curves that do recesses mids a bit since I usually up the treble and bass higher than mids anyway.  Also, I was able to get the TF10 vi for the same $160 so I will be able to make use of the mic and control.

I will post what I think of them once I recieve them. Thanks.

You'll enjoy them I think, unless you listen to sub-bass heavy music. The TF10's have stood the test of time quite well, and despite their age, are a very popular IEM that many people here either own or have owned at some point. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 14
I just received the TF10's in the mail and wasn't too impressed. While it sounded great, loud, and crisp. The sound was comparable to my Sony HPM-78 Headphones. The only difference was a tad crisper sound, heavier treble, and minute details. While music sounds great, I found it quite lacking for vocals, easy to notice when playing a blu-ray movie. I purchased the unit new however I noticed it was used which was a huge factor in considering returning them.

Also, they are very uncomfortable to wear. The foam tips were the best but I didn't find the price worth the upgrade.

I have decided to return them for a refund. I might possibly buy a different pair, possibly of a higher tier. I have friend who works in Sony who could get me the Xba-4s brand new for about $170 tax free but I will probably try them out first and see.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I just received the TF10's in the mail and wasn't too impressed. While it sounded great, loud, and crisp. The sound was comparable to my Sony HPM-78 Headphones. The only difference was a tad crisper sound, heavier treble, and minute details. While music sounds great, I found it quite lacking for vocals, easy to notice when playing a blu-ray movie. I purchased the unit new however I noticed it was used which was a huge factor in considering returning them.

Also, they are very uncomfortable to wear. The foam tips were the best but I didn't find the price worth the upgrade.

I have decided to return them for a refund. I might possibly buy a different pair, possibly of a higher tier. I have friend who works in Sony who could get me the Xba-4s brand new for about $170 tax free but I will probably try them out first and see.

Too bad you didn't like it. One way to resolve the discomfort issues is to have it re-shelled via Unique Melody. Also you can sort out the sound by using different cables like djvkool suggested. Anyway, goodluck on your hunt to find another IEM.

Edit: Why don't you check out the UE900? It shares same qualities like the TF10 though I still have not auditioned it to give a testament whether it is better than the TF10's. Problem is it is out of your budget..

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 14
Just bought The Sony Xba-4's at the store today. Tested them out and overall wasn't too impressed. The sound signature was very similar to the TF10's, only slightly more recessed on the mids. The highs and lows are good but the mids are a bit muffled, it appears some cheap foam is used to block some resonance which seems to have severely impacted mids. The soundstage is very wide (wider than the TF10's) and all the instruments sound very layered and 3D like. I am returning these tomorrow, and would have probably kept them if the mids were a bit more pronounced. I'm not going to try the foam removal mod since it's a high price to pay to mutilate these headphones and be stuck with them if I don't like the results.

In the end I believe these headphones are very similar to the TripleFi 10's, but the TF10's had a stronger output from the iphone and slightly higher clarity and better balance. The only advantage I see the Sonys have is the super comfortable earpieces that seem to just disappear and are easy to forget they are there, which is perfect for on the go use. If I could combine the TF10's balanced sound + the XBA-4's fitting, I believe I would retire and keep that combination. I don't think the XBA-4s are worth the $350 price tag but is more fit for the $160 price range of the TF10's.

I might consider in the future buying the Gr07, but for the time being, I believe my HPM-78 Headphones with a combination of XBA-4 tips and a Electronic EQ setting on my iphone will be the best bet for now, albeit with slightly less detail than the other two.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Did you try Sony hybrids or monster supertips with the TF10s? Personally the comfort is amazing for me with the hybrids vs the bad stock tips. Hear the supertips are good too.

May 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
This thread is hilarious!  You started a poll.  1 person picked the TF10 and everyone else picked the GR07 and you picked the TF10 and didn't like them.

ROFL! I have been there before. You read something, it sticks, you just can't accept feedback, haha!

I've owned the TF10's and while I did enjoy them, they have never been worn again after hearing a pair of Grado 325i's. It never really dawned on me until I wore that headphone that I LOVE forward mids and the aggressive attack the Grados provided.

That said, I'm about to pull the trigger on the GR-07's. In the "rank the headphones you own" a poster listed the GR-07's above Allesandro MS-2's (which look like 325i's to me).

Thanks for poll guys, you helped me out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back