Help me please
Jan 9, 2011 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cycro27

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I hope this is the right spot to post this. I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones and have no idea where to start. I currently own a pair of those Beats By Dre Solo HD headphones (please don't flame me) and am looking to get a better pair of headphones. I did like the beats, but I can tell there should be better headphones out there for that price. I am looking to spend around $150 to $200 max and am looking for over the ear or around the ear headphones. I prefer a pair that is somewhat portable and not too bulky as I will probably be taking these to school. Also, I prefer if they don't leak sound too bad as I'll probably be using these in a library also. The brand and what not doesn't really bother me as long as they are high quality. Thanks so much for all your help!

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Look into the Ultrasone HFI line. They are fairly easy to drive so you do not necessarily need an amp (though I always recommend one when it can be afforded) and they fold flat.

And yes they are closed.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, I remember looking at the HFI-780s, I listen to mostly hip hop and rap, how are the HFI-580s for these as the 780s are a bit out of my price range. Also, do Grados really leak as bad as everyone says?

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 10
I unfortunately only have personal experience with the PRO 900; from what I hear the 580's are great and have as much or even slightly more bass quantity than my 900's.

Grados are open-back and are basically as loud to everyone around you as it is to you, minus the detail and clarity. Definitely not suitable for portable and outside use, and will get you kicked out of a library.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Have you thought about Audio Technica's ATH-M50? I haven't personally listened to the Beats, but I feel like they'll be a nice transition, since M50 is also known for its slightly heavy bass, but better in everything else xP. Here, I think its considered a very good cost to performance ratio headphones. It's usually under 150 dollars. It's supposed to be portable, (it's collapsible) but it's a headphone, so it's not gonna be THAT portable...I suggest you google the images and judge for yourself. And since it's closed, it doesn't leak that much sound. I listen to it in the silent study rooms in the library all the time, and I don't have to lower the volume in fear that the sound might leak.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah I actually looked into these as well, but prefer the Ultrasones atm. Gotta find a place where I can actually listen to them for awhile and get a good feel for both of them =/ 

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 10
OP my listening genre consists of a lot of rap as well. The M50 are great all around phones, but when paired with rap, they are even better. Plus, they work FINE without an amp.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Oh really, alright I'll give them a more thorough look then, thanks for the heads up. Also, on a side note, in terms of amps I kind of have one in the fiio E5 portable amp.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Although m50 doesn't need an amp, I heard the bass gets a little more tighter with an amp. People say m50 only improves slightly with an amp, so I never bothered to buy one, but since you already have one, maybe you can pair them if you decide to buy it. I also have to agree with cdiss99 that rap sounds fantastic with m50s...I listen to eminem on them all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back