Help me please! Shure SRH750DJ
Jun 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kunearn

New Head-Fier
I just got 750dj today for 180AUD and the sound is quite clear and crisp as I expected. However, my friend offer me a pair of Dr. Dre monster studio second hand for only 300AUD which, the actual price is 499AUD. Besides, my 750dj's sound from laptop is very bad compared with an ipod. I heard that it can be improve by using amp?

So, the question is should I return 750dj with full refund and grab my friend's Dr.Dre studio or keep going with 750dj and buy an amp?

Ps. I've listened to Dr.Dre solo and I love it! So I think the studio might be even better!

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Keep the 750DJ and send the Beats Studio to me. :wink:

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 11
its your EQ on your laptop making it sound bad, the laptop is more than sufficient to drive the 750 dj

the 750s will sound better than the dres all day long regardless of what you use, 99.999% of everyone here will recommend you stay far away from the dre beats at all costs

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
the laptop is more than sufficient to drive the 750 dj

Disagree. Took a listen to my friend's pair over the weekend, and out of his laptop, it sounded horrific. Tinny highs, booming bass with no extension. Wasn't even close to a properly driven (with a decent source) pair of SRH840s, which are similar enough.

It might be acceptable with certain laptops, but the variations of laptops are too great. Give an amp/DAC to try, and if that doesn't pan out, the amp can always be used in some other capacity with different headphones.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Well again, its not the headphones, it IS the source.  The best source I've had in recent times was my Asus netbook, the little ones, it packed more warmness and punch than 250+ amps.  What concerns me is that the 750dj is immense EASY to drive.  Crappy mp3 players drive it well...so when i hear that a laptop drives it terribly and makes it sound awful,  i am not sure what to say.  

not sure what laptop you are using, but thats a dreadful thing to want the Dre Beats over the Shure 750dj that is regarded as a top 5 best under 150$  The dre beats wouldnt even come up as a top 5 best under 100$ >.>

lol but if thats what you want dont let anyone sway you, go with your gut

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey!
I'm new here, I've just registered me here coz of this thread.

Why are the Monsters by Dr Dre so crappy? I heard they brake very fast and are too expensiv (which I didn't care).
But I've decided to buy these Shure 750, coz I read just good stuff 'bout. But I'm still interested in the Monsters. Can someone share me a link or give me an explanation why they're not loved in the "scene"?

I can't understand how a laptop can be worse than an iPod. I've my MacBook Pro here and the sound is amazing and much louder than on my iPhone (even with the volume mod). I once tested my Sennheiser CX 500 on my MBP with max bass and max vol and I had the feeling my ears would explode...

PS: I'm a newbie at this topic Headphones, I only used In-Ears yet...

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 11
Most budget laptops probably cost less to make than an iPhone.  Laptops in general are not designed for SQ.  Many have very noisy and cheap components.  Things don't sound good by accident, an effort has to be made in the design somewhere.

Quote:

I can't understand how a laptop can be worse than an iPod.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Most budget laptops probably cost less to make than an iPhone.  Laptops in general are not designed for SQ.  Many have very noisy and cheap components.  Things don't sound good by accident, an effort has to be made in the design somewhere.

I'm going to have to agree to this. 

Just for fun, I tried to plug my M50s directly into my soundcard (cheapo motherboard integrated mind you...) and
they absolutely sounded terrible. No bass, highs were way too metallic. Overall, a terrible experience.
However, once I plugged it in to my amp (cheapo amp mind you...), it sounded A LOT better.
Awesome bass, a more pronounced mid (compared to before) and less metallic highs.

Quote:

Why are the Monsters by Dr Dre so crappy?

Personally, I don't think they craptacular; they are decent, albeit ugly, headphones that just so happened to be overpriced.
For the same price, you can get easily three times the better headphone.

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Personally I thought the Studios are a magnificent headphone that just happens to be overpriced, has poor build quality and has the fatal flaw of requiring batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back