Help me pick, please.
Oct 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Grackdor

New Head-Fier
Well, here's yet another  "Help me choose"  post.   I think I have OVER-researched this, and so now it's time for some advice from folks who know this stuff !

I need a set of headphones for 80% computer gaming and 20% music use.  The problem I'm having is trying to meet all these factors in one set of cans. 

---> Must be Closed (circumaural), as I'm in a fairly noisy area.
---> Must be real comfy for several hours at a time while wearing GLASSES.  (This part is a major concern)
---> Must have very good soundstage (I think that's the correct term)  for in-game sound positioning.
---> Preferably not cost more than $225-ish.

I keep coming back to the Audio-Technica ATH-A700's.  So many folks praising them, the problem is that here in Canada, I can't really find a good source for A-T  (except for a local chain-store that can special order them for me at $230.+ tax CDN with no returns if I hate them.)

Please "save"  me  (LOL) .....at one point I was about to buy the Sennheiser PC-350 headset and be done with it, but then I started to really read up on it and it's weaknesses.  Which brings me back to looking for nice headphones again and well....you can see how I'm being my own worst enemy!

Anyways, thanks much for any personal experience you might be able to share with me in pointing me in the right direction. This is a very cool community, and I have learned SO much since I found it.

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. I hadn't really considered E-bay. ( I want new rather than used.) I'll maybe go & snoop around there. 
  I will have to go check my homework, I guess I thought that the ATH-A700's were the "closed", and the ATH-AD700's were the  "open"  version.  Wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood what I was reading. HA!

There is SO much info at this one site that it's almost overwhelming.  For example, right now I've been searching and trying to figure out how the A700's compare to the ATH-M50 for comfort with glasses & soundstage.
    Off to read I go !

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 7
A new ATH-A900 can be bought in this price range - check Amazon.

Quote:
---> Must be Closed (circumaural), as I'm in a fairly noisy area.
---> Must be real comfy for several hours at a time while wearing GLASSES.  (This part is a major concern)
---> Must have very good soundstage (I think that's the correct term)  for in-game sound positioning.
---> Preferably not cost more than $225-ish.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, if I lived in the U.S. , this would be SO much easier.  Unfortunately, here in Canuck-land, we pay through the nose for stuff---despite our dollar currently about 2 cents away from parity !  
 Example......have found 2 sources now in Canada for the ATH-A700, for $230 & $232.    
The ATH-M50 (another candidate for me)  runs for $190 & $189 at the same stores.
 Maybe it's just Audio-Technica's pricing/wholesaling policies in Canada, but I kinda doubt it.   Amazon.ca didn't help much, sadly, but thanks for reminding me to check there....sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.
   (And hence the reason for my original post.......seeking ideas for comparable alternatives.)    

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I've had similar problems when looking for my headphones...  Most people suggested using the forums here, http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/, eBay, a friend/border service in the US.

There were a pair of new, but open box AD700s on ebay for $100 after all fees.  They are open though, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Just wanted to say "Thanks!"  for the ideas.  The link you included has tons of info, and I think I'll snoop around there for awhile. The Dealers section may turn up a source or 2  (fingers crossed).  I've even emailed the Canadian Distributor for Audio-Technica, but never get any replies.
   Makes me wonder.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back