Help me, for I have sinned! (Snapped a can off)
Jun 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Photonik

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750s that I recently dismembered by accidentally snapping one of the cans off.  I'm wondering if anyone here can guide me through the best way to go about fixing them.  I have soldered before and have decent tech ability in general but am not entirely versed in wiring or audio areas.  What concerns me is that the sheathed  wire going through the headband to the can actually has two wires, a red and a bronze separated by nylon, running through it.  Do I need to resolder the disconnected end from each to the other?  I'm concerned that the remaining wire coming off the can may not be long enough.  Would it be better for me to find a wire of this type and completely rewire the headphones?  If so where do I find this type of wire?  Thanks in advance for any help.

(I'll try to update with better pictures soon)

[/size]

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 9
No, just what can we tell you?

"Oh, if that's the case, go call xxx-xxxx. and He'll send you over the supplies."

See if your warranty, if any, covers damages. You did keep your original box and papers, right?

If not, buy a new one, it will never sound or work the same if you try to fix it.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I did keep original box and papers but I had bought them on ebay.  I tried to call the company and e-mail them but as they're based in Germany I didn't have much luck.  Also, I dont see how I can't find that same type of wire and solder and rewire the can without quality loss.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd run a fresh wire through the headband as opposed to trying to patch the existing cable that has been severed.  Also, the cup itself has been separated from the headband, correct?  I'm assuming you're planning on using some epoxy to reconnect those pieces?  If so, they have some great epoxy gel that starts to set in about 5-6 minutes.  It's quite good to work with and should do a good job of holding the parts back together.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks wje. Yeah reattaching the can to the headband should be easy, I picked up a tube of 'Plastic surgery' which seems to work great.  Where would I find this type of wire at the correct gauge?  I've tried looking around fry's and online but haven't had luck as I don't really know what I'm looking for.  "Cable with two wires inside separated by nylon" doesn't turn up favorable results as you can imagine.  Thanks in advance.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Thanks wje. Yeah reattaching the can to the headband should be easy, I picked up a tube of 'Plastic surgery' which seems to work great.  Where would I find this type of wire at the correct gauge?  I've tried looking around fry's and online but haven't had luck as I don't really know what I'm looking for.  "Cable with two wires inside separated by nylon" doesn't turn up favorable results as you can imagine.  Thanks in advance.

Head to a Home Depot.  You should be able to find some security or phone wire in the bulk section that is in a nylon casing and sold by the foot.  Chances are, the type of wire you pick will have more than 2 conductors, but just buy what will seem to fit through your headband.  Then, just pick two colors of wire to use and avoid using the rest.  Some of these wires that are sold will be solid wire - not braided.  However, since it's essentially going through your headband, I wouldn't worry about using solid wire because it won't see any flex in that area like your regular headphone cable will.  Good luck!

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 9
So I finally found some time to mess with this project today.  Before moving forward with completely rewiring the headphones I decided to do a little test and unfortunately had some troubles.  

The left can (which you see without padding) works just fine as it's where the cable connects to the phones.  However running red->red and bronze->bronze of the same type of wire still doesn't get the right can working, short of the wires being disconnected to the driver in the right can why wouldn't this be working??  I'm worried that if I completely rewire the right can I'm going to have the same problem and be quite frustrated.  Thanks again for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back