Help me finding a sulotion for my new headphones...
Feb 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Aviv

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
So I have finally got my new Superlux HD681 Evo headphones from Ebay, and I must say, I am disappointed, and not because of it's overall sound quality, let me explain.
First of all, on my iPhone, the headphones sound amazing, really, I have never experienced such a good quality of music (had my Sennheiser HD201), so I don't really have any claims against it on the quality side.

But, and a big but goes here, on my PC, it sounds bad. Exactly like my old headphones, lack of bass, and poor volume (even though everything is on max on my PC).
I understood that an ampfilier will solve it, will it? In case the answer is no, I would like to get any advices on what to do. And in case the answer is yes, I would really like to get any recommendations for the cheapest (don't need portable one) ampfilier possible. Preferable not on batteries, and under $30. I have already spent way much more money than my budget was for the headphones, so the situation is kind of problematic now :/

Thanks guys, and I hope to get a sulotion ASAP! :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 68
Sorry. I don't know what to recommend for $30 in an external dac/amp. If you want to save up for a while, the Fiio E10K would be a good choice.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 68
Sorry. I don't know what to recommend for $30 in an external dac/amp. If you want to save up for a while, the Fiio E10K would be a good choice.

Unfortunately the Fiio E10K is too expensive for me. What about the Fiio E6 ampfilier? That is pretty much in my price range and also available in my country, so i'll not have to wait for it to come from Ebay.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 68
If you want something that can be used with your computer and iPhone, the FiiO FUJIYAMA-E06 could come in handy. (I used to own it, but have a desktop amp now.) Not sure if an amp would help much with your computer, though. Sometimes it's hard to predict what the real problem is. Anyway, if you do get a portable headphone amp and want to potentially further enhance the sound quality with your phone, a line out dock cable (such as the FiiO L9) will enable you to bypass the internal circuitry of the device to feed a cleaner signal to the external amp.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 68
  Unfortunately the Fiio E10K is too expensive for me. What about the Fiio E6 ampfilier? That is pretty much in my price range and also available in my country, so i'll not have to wait for it to come from Ebay.

The E6 would probably help with getting more volume. Not sure about how much it would help the sound quality otherwise.

Gah. You said practically the same thing as me, and I didn't realize it until I finished my post. XD

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 68
Based on reviews it's not too bad.  Note it does run on Li-ion batteries which didn't want, but I assume you were talking about stuff like AA/AAA type of batteries, so that doesn't matter.  Try to use the line out from what I think is probably a realtek on board sound card, to avoid double amping to reduce noise/hiss.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 68
The E6 would probably help with getting more volume. Not sure about how much it would help the sound quality otherwise.

If you want something that can be used with your computer and iPhone, the FiiO FUJIYAMA-E06 could come in handy. (I used to own it, but have a desktop amp now.) Not sure if an amp would help much with your computer, though. Sometimes it's hard to predict what the real problem is. Anyway, if you do get a portable headphone amp and want to potentially further enhance the sound quality with your phone, a line out dock cable (such as the FiiO L9) will enable you to bypass the internal circuitry of the device to feed a cleaner signal to the external amp.

*Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't need an ampfilier for my phone, I need one for my PC.

Quote:

Gah. You said practically the same thing as me, and I didn't realize it until I finished my post. XD

Quote:
  Based on reviews it's not too bad.  Note it does run on Li-ion batteries which didn't want, but I assume you were talking about stuff like AA/AAA type of batteries, so that doesn't matter.  Try to use the line out from what I think is probably a realtek on board sound card, to avoid double amping to reduce noise/hiss.

Ok so according to you guys, the Fiio E6 will not solve my problem for sure, and I can't take risk spending that much money for nothing.
Do you have any other recommendation? I mean, is my problem caused because lack of an ampfilier or a DAC? If it is because lack of an ampfilier, I will buy the E6, if it's because lack of DAC, I will buy an external DAC etc'..

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 68
*Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't need an ampfilier for my phone, I need one for my PC. Ok so according to you guys, the Fiio E6 will not solve my problem for sure, and I can't take risk spending that much money for nothing.
Do you have any other recommendation? I mean, is my problem caused because lack of an ampfilier or a DAC? If it is because lack of an ampfilier, I will buy the E6, if it's because lack of DAC, I will buy an external DAC etc'..

What I meant was that an amp may enhance the sound on your phone as a bonus, even though your headphones don't need an amp.

Could be both. But if you can't even attain sufficient volume, you would at least need an amp.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 68
Ok so according to you guys, the Fiio E6 will not solve my problem for sure, and I can't take risk spending that much money for nothing.

My recommendation is to wait, save your money, and buy the E10K when you can afford it. That's a better dac/headphone amp unit than what is built in an iPhone, so you know you'll get better sound than what you have now. For $30? I don't know.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 68
My recommendation is to wait, save your money, and buy the E10K when you can afford it. That's a better dac/headphone amp unit than what is built in an iPhone, so you know you'll get better sound than what you have now. For $30? I don't know.

I really want the Fiio E10K but unfortunately that is way too much money for me and most likely I will not be able to spend it :/

Quote:

What I meant was that an amp may enhance the sound on your phone as a bonus, even though your headphones don't need an amp.

Could be both. But if you can't even attain sufficient volume, you would at least need an amp.

Oh ok I get it now, thanks for the clarification. 
So seems like i'm going in the direction of the Fiio E6 because as you said, my main problem is indeed the volume.

Any more opinions maybe?

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 68
  Oh ok I get it now, thanks for the clarification. 
So seems like i'm going in the direction of the Fiio E6 because as you said, my main problem is indeed the volume.

Any more opinions maybe?

Unless you have another headphone jack with higher output on your computer that you haven't tried yet, an amp seems to be your best bet. If it doesn't help, you can always return it.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 68

Unless you have another headphone jack with higher output on your computer that you haven't tried yet, an amp seems to be your best bet. If it doesn't help, you can always return it.

Yeah, so it seems like an ampfilier will be my best bet. Anyone else has experience with the Fiio E6 ampfilier or has any other recommendations before I will buy it tomorrow? The shop most likely won't let me return the amp, so I gotta be sure that it is the right thing to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back