Help me find warm SS pre-amp for less than $1000
Jan 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 23
Another vote for the GS-1 here. The GS-1 is both an excellent headamp and preamp. You also get some nice extra features like a high/ low gain switch, two selectable inputs, two headphone outputs, a loop out and the preamp output .... all in a small, attractive enclosure.
cool.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ght=sacd+lover

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 23
I think the Presonus Central Station tends to be a bit warm on the headphone amp side, but neutral from the passive preamp output.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 23
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Jazz: Have you received your opera yet? I'm very interested in it as a pre as I like the sound of my Aria, but didn't get any replies about it's pre-amp performance in the opera thread.

Impressions of the pre-head make it sound not warm enough for us, but if it sounds like the opera is a bit warmer, it might be what we're looking for, despite being a tad pricey.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #20 of 23
Sugden Headmaster
Not quite as smooth, warm, or organic as a good tube amp w/ NOS tubes, but pretty good for a SS and it's simply excellent in the PRaT department.

Doubles as a very respectable headphone amp (I assume that's a big plus if not a requirement, since you posted this in a headphone amp forum). Toss in 3 premp inputs, a preamp output, a remote volume control, and you should be able to find one from around $550-$700 used - pretty cool IMO. The company is based in UK so I'm guessing it should be available in 220V - 240V version. Here's mine:

DSCF0427.jpg

DSCF0431.jpg

I used to have the old Gilmore V2s and while they were not at all warm, they were very very smooth SS amps. They're said to make excellent preamps and the new versions are supposedly even better.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by onecm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jazz: Have you received your opera yet? I'm very interested in it as a pre as I like the sound of my Aria, but didn't get any replies about it's pre-amp performance in the opera thread.

Impressions of the pre-head make it sound not warm enough for us, but if it sounds like the opera is a bit warmer, it might be what we're looking for, despite being a tad pricey.

Hi onecm

Yes, I have it now, and today it has just passed the recommended 150-hour mark. Jan's recommendation is really valid -- the sound has changed dramatically the last 20 hours -- not in terms of quantity, but quality. It sounds (even) clearly clearer now, with more sparkle and air in the upper treble.

To my ears the Opera sounds warmer than the Prehead MkII, but also more detailed and transparent. So it isn't exactly less forgiving, which doesn't mean it's particularly unforgiving, though. Compared to my passive «pre-amp» it sounds very similar. If anything, it is slightly warmer, but not by much. However, compared to the other pre-amps I've auditioned (in different setups in the past), I'd say it's by far the most neutral and the least technical sounding, except for one tube amp (Conrad Johnson), and the most transparent. It's not a tube sound, but it's far from a typical edgy solid-state sound, instead it has a liquid-smooth quality without any coolish glare varnishing fine detail. I'm not going to use it instead of my passive pre, though (apart from the fact that I barely listen to speakers these days), because nothing can beat a wire with(out) gain when it comes to accuracy. But the Opera is very, very close.

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 23
Thanks Jazz,

You influenced my Aria purchase, and I was pleased to find it sounded much as you had described. It sounds like Jan may have you to thank again for another Opera purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back