Help me find the right headphones
Apr 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

1212magicman

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for something with very wide soundstage (suround) for gaming and movies, but also a lot of bass for the subwoofer realism. Also good quality.
I have already used Shure Srh 440 (not enough bass, but loved detachable cord) I have tried the Sony Xb series (did not like quality)
I've tried Turtle Beach's (very good bass but quality is lacking) I own Sennheiser 555's (good soundstage, comfortable, but not enough bass, and at loud volumes bass gets heavily distorted and starts clicking)
I'm looking for something with very wide soundstage (surround) for gaming and movies, but also a lot of bass for the subwoofer realism. Also good quality.
I’ve been looking into the HFI 780s which have S-Logic for natural surround and I have heard they have a lot of bass. Are these the ones for me? My price range is anything less than 170$ and right now the Ultrasone HFI 780 are at 160$.
I will be using a Fiio E5 amp and a Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 surround sound Amp

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't believe that you are going to find a phone that does what you want. You are basically asking for a Beats studio to mate with an Audio Technica AD-700.

Also not to burst your bubble but subwoofers are not realistic when it comes to the lower register. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply. And by subwoofer realism, I mean the vibrations you feel when in real life throwing a grenade, a subwoofer (or good bass) can simulate that, making the game seem more realistic. Also I hate the Beats Studio I don't see why they deserve to be mentioned... However I have tried the Ad700s and once again awesome, huge huge soundstage but no bass. So I thought perhaps there was a possiblity of a headphone that existed that was like that but with bass, I will get the HFI-780s and I will see if they have a lot of bass, good sound quality, and huge soundstage. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 9
So I decided to go with the HFi-580s and thats when I found out that the DJ1's were exactly the same but with a coiled cable. Now this brought up the question which one sounds better the Dj1 Pro or the Dj1's because I like the fact that the Dj1 pro has detacable cable.

May 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 9
I got my Dj1 headphones! They look really nice, and they look NOTHING like they did in the pictures. They are a lot bigger, the ear pads are a lot softer than they appear, and bigger as well. I see a lot of reviews saying the Hfi-580s are uncomfortable, quite the opposite, these are VERY comfy! ^_^ The cord is perfect length, not to long, not to short. It is sturdy, but can still fold.

After no burn in at all.

Bass: HOLY CRAP! These have tremendous bass. Without an amp they are okay, but when you plug it in to at least a E5, WHOLE NEW HEADPHONES. These thump hard, and don't mud the other parts of the song at all.
Middle: It was okay, but I liked the middle on the Shure SRH-440 better. Middle was slightly recessed.
Highs: OMG! Best highs in a head phone I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of headphones. These are brilliant highs, low sibiliance, it truly sounds realistic.

Soundstage: Well the S-Logic definitely works. The soundstage is almost comparable to the HD-555, and sometimes even better. The instrument seperation is out of this world, and the Demo CD it comes with, makes it seem like I'm not wearing headphones anymore.

Tested on Xbox 360. I could hear everyone from a mile away in all directions! ^_^ I could also FEEL the bass when there were explosions. These are the last headphones I'm buying. Headphone Obsession satisfied. My perfect headphone has been found

Users who are viewing this thread

Back