Help me find IEMS! Bassy, Dark, Removable cable, less sensitive required.
May 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 34
I own a lot of the iems mentioned here, except the SM3 v2. The W3 will probably be too sibilant for what the OP is requesting. I don't feel it is sibilant, my source for the W3 most of the time is also an iPhone5. I would still pick the IE80 as a good fit. UM3X is also good, but I don't really use it with the genres that the OP lists. UM3X is glorious for vocals and strings...but it is too close in soundstage/presence. You can also try the CKS1000, it gets very good reviews on HF. I have it, and it is a nice sounding IEM for those genres as well.

May 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 34
The ASG-1 rev 2 would have been PERFECT for you.  They match word for word what you are looking for.  The ASG-1 rev 3 should still work though.  I think the best IEM I've heard that matches your needs would be either the ASG-1 rev 2 or the UE 500. 

May 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 34
How about the Heir 5.0? I'm not sure how they compare to those already mentioned...but they have some of the best bass I have heard in an iem and are also quite dark.

May 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 34
Soooo I've ended up ordering 3 pairs.

- Aurisonics ASG-1 (121db/1mW (Freq not posted) and 32ohm, This is a bit worrying)
- Atrio M5 (Sucks they dont have removable cable) (112db@30hz/1mW and 32 ohm, these should be good)
and finally
- UE Super.Fi 5EB (These are hard to find!!, The mix of dynamic and BA looks neat.) (119db/1mW and 21ohms, hopefully these are ok).

I will likely keep all 3 to collect, hopefully I enjoy at least one pair.

The IE80 were really interesting but my current IEMs are 122db/1mW (16ohm) and the hiss is distracting using android devices (I've tried S3, HTC One and S4, I belive it has something to do with the ALSA drivers or analog output of the internal amplifier.)

Note: If anyones interested I can do a comparison later too.

May 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 34
FX700 is more V shaped to my ears. Heir 4.ai is more balanced and neutral. I love the Heirs for classical and jazz, female vocals and indie pop. I liked but not loved the FX700 for rock and hip hop, but just traded them away. Something in the FX700 signature was missing for me. They are a beautiful looking earphone though, that's for sure.

One possibility for the OP that hasn't been mentioned is the Mile Davis Tributes. Out of production but you still see for sale used. One of my all around easy to use favorites, rich and a bit bassy, and used can be a good value if you don't mind the appearance.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 34
Well to give everyone an update.....
I've had my ASG-1's upgraded to ASG-2, they have a massive soundstage and a really addictive sound. The bass is adjustable which is nice, only problem is that its mostly midbass. This means adjusting the bass just adds or removes the "boxiness" sound. I like these though, they just sound so huge.

The Triple FI 5 EB are what i was looking for, unfortunately the fit is ok, but the shape and feel isnt top notch on these.

Atrio M5 i can't get a seal for the life of me, terrible fit. Selling them.

I think i will take another look at the IE 80 and 3.AI.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Well to give everyone an update.....
I've had my ASG-1's upgraded to ASG-2, they have a massive soundstage and a really addictive sound. The bass is adjustable which is nice, only problem is that its mostly midbass. This means adjusting the bass just adds or removes the "boxiness" sound. I like these though, they just sound so huge.

The Triple FI 5 EB are what i was looking for, unfortunately the fit is ok, but the shape and feel isnt top notch on these.

Atrio M5 i can't get a seal for the life of me, terrible fit. Selling them.

I think i will take another look at the IE 80 and 3.AI.

Dale is looking to mod the ASG-2s to shift some of that midbass down to subbass. So even if that is a slight issue, it might be worth keeping them around for that mod when it happens. I have the same issue with them, though it isn't terrible. But if some of that midbass can be put down to subbass and make the bass a bit more even, I'll be a very happy camper. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Dale is looking to mod the ASG-2s to shift some of that midbass down to subbass. So even if that is a slight issue, it might be worth keeping them around for that mod when it happens. I have the same issue with them, though it isn't terrible. But if some of that midbass can be put down to subbass and make the bass a bit more even, I'll be a very happy camper. 

Couldn't agree more. I don't plan on getting rid of these quite yet, the soundstage is massive. It boggles my mind how such a dark sounding IEM can sound so large. I love them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #29 of 34
Also just ordered the IE80. I will like to see how they compare to the ASG-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back