Help me find a set of cans for 300!
Oct 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

morph2k4

100+ Head-Fier

I'm a newbie to high end audio, but I want to learn.  I need to find a set of headphones, but I'm finding it very difficult to do any real comparison shopping.  Money isn't really an issue, but I'd prefer to shoot for a $300 target, if possible.
Last week I picked up a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs at the apple store ($200).  It was an impulse purchase, contingent on the fact that I could bring them back if not to my satisfaction.  Suffice it to say, they are not.  The lows are amazing out of these things, but the other ranges suffer a bit.  The sound is by no means bad, but I think whatever custom tech they have in their to pump the bass harms the low/mid range in clarity.  These things sound great for the techno and trance portion of my library, but compared to my roommates seinnheiser 595HD, they just sound a bit muddy.  I would love to see this kind of base in a set of cans that could also handle the higher ranges, but I can live without the bass.  Also, the very hard surface on the inside of the earcups just presses against my outter ear.  Very uncomfortable over time.

The 595HD would be perfect actually, if not for the sound leakage.  I will be using these at work mostly, and sound leakage is absolutely out of the question.  Other people sit right near me, and need peace and quiet to do their jobs.  The complete lack of leakage is another reason i found the crossfades attractive.  

Comfort is also a major factor, since I plan to wear these for as much of the work day as possible, every day.  I have a pair of Grado sr-80s that I've been using for the past few years.  The sound was great, but the comfort and build quality were garbage.  After looking at the higher end Grado lines and seeing the same earcups, I think Grados are out all together.  What the hell is the deal with the ear cups on these things?  The SR-80s came with the inverted conical ear cups.  They are too small to go over the ear, so they just sit on top of it at a weird angle and apply pressure.  The lower end grado earcups are just flat foam, which is also uncomfortable since it just sits on your ear.  What I finally came up with was using the sr-60 earcups on the sr-80, and using a second set of foams off a different set of cans wrapped OVER the sr-60 foam.  A lot of work to get those things comfortable to wear for more than 15 minutes.  I also loathe the fact that the earcups could rotate all the way around.  Every time I hung them up, both earcups rotated a dozen times whichever direction they wanted.  Finally, they broke all together, which is not surprising based on the build quality, which leaves me in the market where I am now.  

So all of that said, help me find some good headphones!  I'll have to find a store that can let me see some different models, but none of the stores around here carry many brands, so comparison shopping is really hard.  To recap, here is what I want:

-Over the ear headphones in the 300 dollar range
-NO sound leakage
-High comfort

As for quality of the sound itself, I'll have to have a listen to some recomendations in stores that I track down.  Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 8
I forgot 2 important things.  First, I am completely unfamiliar with the world of headphone amps, so I'd prefer to stick with something I won't need an amp for.  That's not set in stone
wink.gif

Secondly, the music I listen to is a mix of rock, techno, and alternative.  I've never been good at classifying music by genre, so here are some of my favorite bands/artists:

-Hendrix
-Satriani
-Phish
-Cake
-Bare Naked Ladies
-Shpongle
-Infected Mushroom
-Daft Punk

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Hey, welcome to head-fi.
Based on your first 2 criteria ($300 & no sound leakage), I would have to suggest the Ultrasone HFI-780. They isolate very well, one of the best in this category I believe. Also, you can easily get them for under $200 used (250 new). The bass is great on these things and they are just sublime for electronic music (I was just listening to Deadmau5 - Strobe and Daft Punk - Aerodynamic and was amazed just like every time). However, They are not the most comfortable headphones out there: the head-pad found on the heavy headband just digs right through your skull (this is a hyperbole of course
biggrin.gif
) and makes the headphones quite uncomfortable within just 20 minutes of listening time; my suggestion for this problem is too rip it off and make yourself a new leather head-pad like I did. One more thing I'd warn you about is that the cable is 10 feet long; this is easily fixed with a shortening of the cable by cutting it at a desired length and soldering a new plug. Lastly, no amp is needed for the HFI-780s.

Oh yeah, this should help to narrow down your potential options: no sound leakage = closed headphones (a.k.a closed-back design headphones)

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks!  I didn't realize the closed/open back distinction mapped to sound leakage 1 to 1.  I'll definitely see if I can locate some Ultrasone's to try out.  The comfort does concern me though.

I was considering the Phiaton MS400's.  They look like a pretty solid prospect, and after owning the V-Modas, I definitely love the idea of a nice hard case for transport.  Unprotected travel is probably the cause of most degradation to my old Grados.

The other thing I was wondering is if Seinnheiser has a closed back offering comparable to the HD595's?  I really do love those phones, but the sound leakage is just brutal on them.

Any other tips?

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Well Sennheiser specializes in Open headphones I believe. Another closed one you could look at are the Beyerdynamic Dt880; you should choose the 32 ohm version. There are also the portable Audiio-Technica esw9 which isolate well and look great too.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:

The other thing I was wondering is if Seinnheiser has a closed back offering comparable to the HD595's?  I really do love those phones, but the sound leakage is just brutal on them.

FWIR the Sennheiser HD 25s are well thought of at $200.

P.S. Daft Punk FTW!

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Oct 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 8
The Ultrasone Pro 900s are about $320 on Ebay, and they are regarded as having amazing, almost speakerlike bass, in addition to great sound in the mids and highs. People do not really like them when they are stock, but you can Kees mod them, which most people say make them sound much better. They will sound good without an amp, and get even better with a good amp. I am saving for them and expect to purchase them shortly, so all this is just what I have read.

P.S. They are the headphone in my avatar with balanced cables. The headphone comes with normal cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back