Help me find a DAC
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RAZRr1275

500+ Head-Fier
So I'll be getting  Bellari HA540 soon and a new DAC seems like a good idea to get with it. I'm looking at the HRT Music Streamer II, the DAC Destroyer, ODAC and the Nuforce UDac. Which one would be the best? Source is the usb port of a laptop with mostly 320 kbps and flac music. Phones are Grado sr80i, Denon d2000 and akg k702. If I could get something under $100 that would be great but not the end of the world. What do y'all think?

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
So I'll be getting  Bellari HA540 soon and a new DAC seems like a good idea to get with it. I'm looking at the HRT Music Streamer II, the DAC Destroyer, ODAC and the Nuforce UDac. Which one would be the best? Source is the usb port of a laptop with mostly 320 kbps and flac music. Phones are Grado sr80i, Denon d2000 and akg k702. If I could get something under $100 that would be great but not the end of the world. What do y'all think?

I've got the DAC Destroyer, is powered by the USB connection, does sound good, $60 on eBay, ships from Canada.
Should be able to decently drive the Denon AH-D2000 without an add-on amplifier, but you would want to use one anyway.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Personally, I use whatever dac compliments my headphones. As for the AKG k702, I've used the HRT ms2 and it was actually really good, not as great as my other high end dacs obviously but it tames the treble of the akg's quite a bit and gives it more bass impact if that matters to you. Though it does get a bit muddy sometimes depending on your amp.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Advice please.  I have Sennheiser 700's and want to move from SS to desktop tube.  I am 99% I will go with a Woo WA6SE.  Still stumped on a compatible DAC.  

I will run iMac = DAC = Woo + Senn 700.

Any advice?

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 13
I've listened to a couple of those but owned the HRT and liked it. It's a nice simple no nonsense DAC that you can just through over the edge of your desk and hide it if you want.  It only does 24/96 but that should be ok given the price besides it is asynch which is a great technology for that price.  My biggest hesitation about getting one again personally is that it's only a usb DAC and it's usb powered.  I'd rather have the option of going COAX or optical, esp if it were my only DAC - but if that doesn't matter it doesn't matter...

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I've had the HRT Music Streamer II for about a year and I love it. The sound is great and the price point is palpable for almost anyone. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
i decided to give the dac destroyer a shot. Since i'm trying to stay sort of low budget getting the hand made things that swing above their belt price wise is helping out

The Seller on Ebay, hotaudio40, is the one I got my Dac Destroyer from.
Ships from Canada.
Can even power my 32-ohm headphones on it's own

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 13
I've owned the NuForce before and liked it alot. I'd recommend it. Having said that, alot of DAC's are out now that perform above there price point at first, but after listening, the differences come out. I think the NuForce is a standout even after extended listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back