Help me figure out what to buy?
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 27
I loved my old V6, but it surely doesn't stand up to the awe-inspiring sound, fit and build quality of the M50, IMHO of course.  Unless my memory is faulty... what were we talking about?  
blink.gif

30 years of using headphones, I've never had such a problem with the cable.  Now, the connector jack on the source units have gotten loose plenty of times.  But never the cable.  Anyway, unless you're pretty rough with it, I don't think it's a problem.  If my headphones aren't plugged in, I simply wind up the cord gently and hang them on their stand, or lay them carefully on my bed and leave them there.  You can also screw a bike hook into a stud in your wall, and hang them there.  Or, hang them on a coat hanger that you attach to your door.  Target sells those that require no tools: you simply hang one end over the top of your door, and then hang the headphones on the hooks.

Anyway, I would eat my shorts if you just didn't get overwhelmed with the awesome sound of an M50, and my shorts aren't so nice and clean.  Certainly, in that price range for a closed can, there's nothing better for everything you mentioned hands down:  durability, price, sound quality, looks, style, practicality (they swivel 180, and fold up, and work with any source without an amp), comfort, isolation, range of musical styles they sound good with, professional look, studio professional recommendations, hot looks from your girlfriend, etc.  Really, is anyone going to seriously refute this?  Honestly?  Personally I'd love to know if there is something that compares which I may not know about.

And again, the M50S has the long, straight cord vs. the curly annoying cord.

Have fun!  
beyersmile.png

Just look at her... remember your first time?

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 27
Kouzelna, I really like how they look and how you say they sound. How do they feel when worn, though?

For the sake of comparison, are there comparable sounding 80-100$ headphones that are open? I keep flip flopping back and forth between needing open and closed, but I think I've realized that open headphones trade-off leakage for comfort, which I suppose is more important.

I was looking at ATH-AD700s. I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I'm the most indecisive person I know of when it comes to shopping.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 27
I have had my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for... maybe 8-9 years. They have survived every day use at work, on the bus, being thrown into
bags and backpacks.

So as for sturdyness they get 10/10. The cable is pretty robust and has not gotten broke (unlike most other headphones I used for this purpose).

The sound is OK, and for many years I concidered them very good. But comparing it to the more high-end cans I use now they are lacking.

They are also foldable which might be a plus.

So if possible I would listen to the M50s (they should sound better than the HD 280) and check if they seem sturdy enough for your lifestyle.

Otherwise the HD 280 should be a safe bet for a very reliable headphone, with a sound that might be exactly what you like.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 27

Hi Byte, sorry for the long post:

That's OK - when you have limited money, and limited experience, it naturally takes time to make the right decision.

First off, a headphone is comfortable because it's comfortable - it has zero to do with being open or closed.  Open and closed differ, generally, because open headphones sound more spacious and open, but they leak sound in, and out.  Closed headphones have tighter bass and sound less spacious, but they don't leak sound as much.

On comfort:  I think the M50 is the most comfy headphone I've ever worn, along with the Beyerdynamic DT880 which was also nice but on a totally completely different level (it's so open, you can hear yourself think with them on).  

But that's my opinion, so let me explain what "comfy" means with the M50:

The DT880 feels like... well, nothing.  Like you're not even wearing a headphone at all.  Like a comfy kung-fu uniform.  The M50 is the opposite type of comfy - it's extremely snug and close-fitting.  Like a tight leather jacket you put on before riding your bike at night in the rain.  The immediate good part of this, is that they won't fall off.  My MD2000 would fall off as soon as I looked down at my keyboard, for example, and when I used them in bed I had to tie a bandana around my head to keep them from simply sliding off my ears.  The M50 won't move once you "strap it on."

The ear pieces are oval shaped, not round as most cans, so they fit your ears perfectly, without slack or extra space.  I love that, as it seems to make the sound more intimate and less "loose."  The grip is tight, but the pads are so thick and comfortable, that they feel great.  A lot of people complain about them getting sweaty over time, but I have never had this problem even with extended listening, although I can see it's possible in a hot environment.  

For me, when I put on an M50 I feel like a NASA astronaut getting belted in for the G-Force ride - ready for serious action.  Personally, I love it.  It makes the headphone totally sealed against outside noise, allowing you to hear ever nuance and detail of your music.  They won't fall off if you groove around, or get up to do something.  

Compared to the DT880 or my beloved K701, for example, those cans sound awesome... as long as you are in a dead quiet environment.  For example, when I'm in bed and my fridge goes on in the other room... I hear the thing through the music in my headphones!  And my fridge is not inordinately loud!  That's how "open" they are.  With the M50, you will never have this problem.  You can switch a fan on, and you won't hear it.  And your roommate won't hear what your listening to.  But, the fit is tight.  I love it, some people don't.

Hope that helps.  

If I was going to go open, instead of closed, I would buy the AD700.  The Sennheiser Jespiir mentioned might also be good, I know the Senns at that price level are known to be excellent.  

If you give up totally, a great, GREAT headphone for a smattering price is the Koss PortaPro.  If you want to go open, that's simply "over ear" open, and it's $30 lousy bucks - down from it's old price of $100 +.  I've owned several, and gave many to friends as gifts, and I've never had the slightest complaint.  It is a well respected headphone, with a loyal following here.  The M50 is a major improvement, but for a low price that is an awesome headphone.

I think it boils down to you getting really serious about whether you NEED a closed headphone or not.  If so, get it.  If not, then you have some good choices if you want open.  But either way, you'll be sacrificing practicality AND BASS if you get open - just be aware of that.  (I currently use open cans, but that's another story... my ears were damaged in an accident, and I can no longer handle the heavy bass of closed cans).

Good luck!

(PortaPro photo used without asking - tell me if you want me to take it down!  
wink_face.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 27
Well I'm coming from a pair of JVC headphones that were rectuangular around the ears. I tend to listen to music for hours at a stretch and they were quite uncomfortable after the first hour or so. When the cord became loose and using them was no longer an option, I switched over to a pair of cheap plastic headphones that I use for voice chat in video games. These are more open but I can wear them for a long time without ever feeling it.

Overall, I'm just not too sure on the "snug" fit of the headphones. On the other hand, I have to say I'm swayed by what you say about their sound (also, they are a great looking pair of headphones--the AD700s look very goofy, to me). As far as the portapros, I'm starting to seriously consider buying them, but I think I'm bent on spending a little bit more.

So yeah, thanks for the very helpful advice. Unless there are other headphones I should be looking at, I guess the only thing left to do is convince the indecisive-shopper part of me that one of these headphones is superior and that I should buy them.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 27
Byte,

I think again the idea that one is "superior" is the wrong idea.  You're comparing open and closed headphones.  That's like comparing a bicycle to a car.  Both take you from Point A to Point B.  But they do so in vastly different ways, with huge pros and cons of each.

A car is obviously awesome.  But it's expensive, stressful to drive in the city, and makes it easy for you to do a lot more than you really want to do - after all, you can just drive there, right?

I ride a bike, and I haven't had a car in 8 years (almost 9).  Why?  I don't have to go more than 15 miles to work, and a bike is less stressful than driving in constant traffic around my area.  It saves me $800 a month in insurance, gas, payments and maintenance.  Plus, it keeps me in relatively decent shape, and prevents me from (most) late-night runs to the pizza place.  And I never have friends asking me for a ride.  
wink_face.gif

Open cans and closed cans are vastly different.  Think about what you NEED in a headphone, and what you CAN'T DEAL WITH in a headphone.  Then your decision will be easy.  The following are "typical" traits of each:

Open

Pro:  spacious, airy sound; lighter weight

Con:  sound leakage in and out; lackluster bass

Closed

Pro:  strong, fat bass; minimal sound leakage; generally more comfortable (my opinion here)

Con:  less spacious, airy sound (little more "closed in" or "boxy" sound); little heavier on head (usually)

Keep this in mind:

Remember, for $100, you're quite limited, and both the M50, AD700, and lower-end Sennheisers (and PortaPro) are all proven values with loyal followings on Head-Fi.  So are lower-end Grados.  But as far as everyone, everywhere liking a headphone regardless of tastes, the M50 and AD700 are constant "top of list" cans.

Another great thing about the M50 is that it's a great "entry ticket" into the world of better headphones.  You will like it, even if you don't like everything about it.  But once you own it for a while, you'll better know what it is that you like, and don't like, about headphones.  Everyone on Head-Fi has had an M50, so everyone knows what an M50 sounds like.  That way, when you compare your likes and dislikes to your M50, others here on Head-Fi will know what you mean, and be able to help you get a different headphone in the future, more suited to your likes and dislikes.  Make sense?  Plus, the M50 is a very, very easy headphone to resell when you decide you want something better.  (I've not heard anything "better," only other headphones that further refine certain aspects of the M50 sound.  In itself, it really is an awesome headphone, as everything about it is so well done and well balanced).

I had a Head-Fier here at my house a few months back, just to share various headphones and have fun testing them out.  He had no intention of buying anything, and I wasn't selling anything.  When he heard my M50 for the first time - and keep in mind we had 8 pair of high-end headphones here, he begged me to sell it to him.  (I did, I'd just gotten my MD2000).  All my friends also, without exception, have always loved the M50 from first listen.

Point is, you won't pick it up and hate it.  But you may definitely not like the sound of the Grado or Senns, because they have a special sound signature to them that is "loved or hated" (I don't like them), and the sound and feel of the AD700 may be a little disappointing / overwhelming to you as a new person.  Whereas the M50 is a generic, awesome can that simply everyone likes, even if they have something better.  

OK, enough sales pitch there.  Good luck with your purchase!  If it were me, I'd do the M50 or AD700, depending upon if I needed open or closed.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 27
If possible I would really recommend to listen before you buy. Both sound and comfort depends on your taste.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 27
Okay. I bought the M50S. I'll get to enjoy it tomorrow, probably (on a side note: Amazon Prime for college students is bloody amazing). Thanks for all the help.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 27
hey byte, you may find m50 a little dissapointing at first. let it break-in for a few hours and things will start to change. that's my experience today. will you tell us the build quality and where it is made when you get it in hand tomorow?

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 27
I agree. The highs were disappointingly metallic sounding when I got it.  Otherwise they were awesome.  However, after about 100 hours of use and leaving them connected by accident when I was playing some music pretty loudly, the highs really mellowed out and became sweet.  I recommend playing them on a loop through your stereo for a weekend or so as soon as you might have the chance, such as if you go away for the weekend or something.

I think the request for build quality vs. place of origin (China, Japan, etc) is just for your objective thoughts on the matter, as the quality may be varying depending on where Audio Technica is having them built.  They're stuff is usually top notch when it comes from Japan.  Other places may have become an issue. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
Well I've heard that some headphones have replaceable cords, so maybe that's something I should look into. I'm really paranoid about my headphone cord going bad again, which was something I wanted to avoid if purchasing at such a price.

If it's just a bad connection you can always lop off the end and solder the connection again, add a dash of heat shrink and bam.. good as new!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back