RE0
Pros
  1. Extremely clear highs
  2. No adapter 

Cons
  1. Would sound noticeably better amped
  2. Lapse of bass

The Situation:

I will be using these every day walking to and from class. I will NOT have an amplifier. I don't need a basshead phone (or I wouldn't even be looking at the RE's), but i can foresee not enjoying something with a total lapse of bass impact. However, I can also foresee myself also being extremely annoyed with the adapter.

From what I have researched, the RE-ZERO is thought to be the better sounding of the two, but not by a large margin. The $20 price difference is not a factor in this decision. 

Is the bass on the RE0 so impact-less that I will feel unsatisfied? Does the RE-ZERO have enough added impact to make it acceptable? If it does, is that enough to justify the annoying adapter. 

*also note I am the type of person who manually changes the song on my Iphone every time, so take that into account with the adapter.*

Any input that can help me make this decision would be much appreciated. This is also strictly between these two headphones, I am not considering others (i know, sorry).

This is my last post about this, i promise 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 27
RE-ZERO for that application. You've pretty much got it down. If the adapter is seriously going to bug you, go with the Sunrise X-Scapes maybe?

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 27
I have my heart set on one of the two REs

Ive been thinking, I have an Iphone 4 which has a large battery. 

Would this totally take away the need to amp the RE0s, or will they still not be at maximum potential?

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 27
The RE0's don't NEED an amp. Also amps aren't strictly about volume. My iPod Touch can drive my RE0 to deafening levels, and still sounds truly wonderful, but it sounds better with an amp. The RE-ZERO is kind of a middle ground. It can't sound quite as good with an amp, but without one it sounds, according to most, better. You have no plans on getting an amp, so I would say go with the RE-ZERO.

EDIT: The differences are slight, btw. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 27
Hm... so I know you said you were settled on the REX's, but for those genres (mostly electronic), there's probably some better out there. I love mine for electronic, but I think that I am a rare breed.

Neither will bring out more than the other, IMO. Amped, the RE0's would have better bass though. RE-Zero's have more unamped. Preference.

Honestly though, I've never heard the Zero's. Just so you know.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 27
Im almost thinking RE0s now because ill have M50s to satisfy my bass needs. 

But on the other hand that might make me miss the bass even more with the RE0s 

This is such a hard decision, its driving me crazy

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 27
RE-Zeros presentation was simply more musical overall to me. I'll admit to being disappointed at first (found it too similar to RE0s) but the sound at least grew on me with time whereas the RE0s always sounded too clinical to me. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 27
MC5s seem overrated based on the opinions of some friends here while the VB wouldn't be the sound the op is looking for. I personally cast my vote for the RE-Zeros, I can vouch for those. The RE0s aren't simply as musical. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 27
If you ever plan on getting an amp, go RE0. If not, RE-Zero. Unless the adapter bugs you too much. There you go. It's just a personal choice.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 27
pulled the trigger on the RE-ZERO's

The cable will annoy me I can say with 100% confidence, but I know I just wouldn't be satisfied with the RE0s sound as much as I would with the RE-ZERO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back