Help me decide on my grado upgrade!?!?!
Mar 23, 2008 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ghoul

Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to move up on the grado ladder. I currently have a sr225 and am possibly looking to take the plunge into a RS1.

To give some background, I've had the sr225 for a year and really love em. They're actually my first full sized hp as I've come from only IEM's in the past. Started out with ety er6i to shure e5c's. One day I decided on some full sized canz, and after some research here on head-fi I went with the sr225. Figured I'd go higher on the food chain instead of starting with the sr60.

As far as a source and amp: I either go through my computer(itunes 320kbps & apple lossless) or my ipod classic LOD to a Little Dot MK III. I've also tried portables ranging from xin mini IV, go-vibe 6, and meier corda move. By far I prefer the LD MK III.

My musical preferences are varied, but mainly stick to classic rock and metal when listening to canz. So after that all that my question is...

Is the upgrade from sr225 to rs1 worth it. I know the cost
eek.gif
, and am not concerned on that end. But if the upgrade is trully worth it sonically then I'm game. A mere 25 min drive to my hi-fi shop, and poof there will be a rs1 pizza box in my back seat
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 11
Go get the RS-1. It's worth it and you won't care about the cost afterward.

If you need further convincing, take your Little Dot over to your audio shop and A/B them with the SR-225. That should leave a smoking hole in your wallet. But you'll be happy.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 11
When I tried the RS-1 at spearit sound the difference was huge! The RS-1's was so much clearer, especially vocals. The only thing keeping me from getting one is money.
frown.gif

If you have the money... go for it. It's worth it in terms of an upgrade.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 11
I wish someone had talked me into going right to the RS-1 . It would have saved some money climbing the ladder and added time with the RS-1's

Yeah, do it.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 11
well it looks so far as my decision is pretty clear
rs1smile.gif
. Now i'm assuming the rs1 will be an improvement in all areas over the sr225. I mean in highs, mids, and lows? Also, at my local hi-fi shop they still carry I believe its the oldder rs1 models with the button still on the mesh grill. Is there any difference with the newer models w/o the button?

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it looks so far as my decision is pretty clear
rs1smile.gif
. Now i'm assuming the rs1 will be an improvement in all areas over the sr225. I mean in highs, mids, and lows? Also, at my local hi-fi shop they still carry I believe its the oldder rs1 models with the button still on the mesh grill. Is there any difference with the newer models w/o the button?

I have both SR225's and RS1's here at the house.

I've done extensive A/B's with them and the RS1's are so much better that it's kind of silly.
wink.gif
There's a few threads around hating on the price difference between the 225's and RS1's, citing that the difference is only subtle at best but this, in my well considered opinion, couldn't be further from the truth.

The biggest difference is in overall 'thickness' of the entire frequency range. Much better bass, mids and highs are fantastically up front, detailed and textured and the soundstage occasionally has me looking around my room to make sure my speakers aren't turned on.

Switch back to the SR225's and the aforementioned qualities of the RS1's, though present, are all dropped back in impact and resolution by 50%. It's obvious that they spring from the same design/philosophy of headphone construction but the RS1's are much much better sounding all around.

Have fun with them.

wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I agree with all above. Moving to RS1s will be a very significant move up I think, with increased resolution, frequency extensions at both ends and, for me, far greater musical involvement. I've not heard the buttonless RS1 but I wouldn't think there would be much difference between them and the recent button'd versions. They're magical phones.

best,

o

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Thx everyone for your input
biggrin.gif
. Looks like I'll be heading down the upgraditis road within the next few weeks. Wish I could just plop down the cash now, but I don't think my bills and wallet would thank me for it. For those with rs1's, how long would you say it took for burn in?

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx everyone for your input
biggrin.gif
. Looks like I'll be heading down the upgraditis road within the next few weeks. Wish I could just plop down the cash now, but I don't think my bills and wallet would thank me for it. For those with rs1's, how long would you say it took for burn in?

I feel mine were fine (markedly better than brand new) after about 200 hours of burn-in frequency sweeps, I mean continuous, ten hours a day type stuff while I work and what not.

I've heard all sorts of things though ... so don't just take my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back