Help me decide for a headphone between US$ 200 - US$ 300 price range.
Jul 5, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 28
I have both types. At home, I like to use open-backs unless I want to "rock out" and get more punch and liveliness from the music. For portable use, I only use closed-backs. They are more efficient to use with smartphones and daps, provide noise isolation, give microphone/remote ability, and are generally less fatiguing with increased volume to overcome ambient noises.

The Beyer's and the Senn's listed would not be a good match with the LG V20 due to their high impedance and needing more power than the V20 can provide.

Keep in mind, anything over 100 ohms should need an amp to sound their best. For example, buying the 600 ohm Beyers or HD650 would literally be a waste of money with no amp. For your Amazon post, I don't know why they included an SD card. It's a headphone and amp, the card is pointless and you won't need it. Maybe just buy the amp and headphone separately.

Closed vs open: Closed cans will usually offer more "thump" but may not sound as natural. For electronic and similar music, closed back works well because none of the instruments are natural anyway.

Good luck with your search!

So much non-truth being spoken in this thread.Have any of yall owned the V20? I do. I also own one(actually three) of the harder to drive 600 ohm HPs ever,The AKG K240 sextett . The V20 does in fact,drive the sextetts,and pretty good too! It doesnt get to ear bleeding levels,but it does the job much better than my dearly departed Magni Uber 2 ever did.

The issue with V20 is the extra juice that kicks in when you connect a 600ohm HP doesnt come on with less than 600 HPs,and there is no manual option to boost the power.Because of this the V20 struggles with headphones,like my Grado Magnum V4 Woodies,but does well with my sextetts...go figure.

TL,DR a 600 ohm HP will sound better on the V20 than a 300 ohm HP.

All that being said,nothing beats a nice amplifier for any HP,even the easiest to drive IEMs out there.

For HP suggestions I like Grados for rock,but theyre not great for bassy music. I also like HE-400s.The DT990 is quite bright and peaky,not to mention the mids are thin and give guitars no body or crunch.

I would also suggest the Meze99 and the V-Moda m100 if you opt for closed backs

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 28
Sorry if I mentioned Fun and Lively.I posted them because every post I checked mentioned that Beyers are Fun and Lively and Senns are dark,neutral and plain.I will have a chance to check the Senns in this week and will check if they are fun enough to me.

If you listen loud to a headphone that doesn't have driver distortion from doing so and it's driven by an amp that isn't clipping and keeps the THD+N low then it can still sound "lively." Even a Grado capped at 70dB will not sound lively.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 28
So much non-truth being spoken in this thread.Have any of yall owned the V20? I do. I also own one(actually three) of the harder to drive 600 ohm HPs ever,The AKG K240 sextett . The V20 does in fact,drive the sextetts,and pretty good too! It doesnt get to ear bleeding levels,but it does the job much better than my dearly departed Magni Uber 2 ever did.

The issue with V20 is the extra juice that kicks in when you connect a 600ohm HP doesnt come on with less than 600 HPs,and there is no manual option to boost the power.Because of this the V20 struggles with headphones,like my Grado Magnum V4 Woodies,but does well with my sextetts...go figure.

All that being said,nothing beats a nice amplifier for any HP,even the easiest to drive IEMs out there.

For HP suggestions I like Grados for rock,but theyre not great for bassy music. I also like HE-400s.The DT990 is quite bright and peaky,not to mention the mids are thin and give guitars no body or crunch.

Fair point. I was thinking of the V10 and assumed the V20 was just a carry over. I researched it more now and see they added more amplification. I still cannot find the specs anywhere for the output though, just 2Vrms.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 28

What was the non-truth in my post :p

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 28
Fair point. I was thinking of the V10 and assumed the V20 was just a carry over. I researched it more now and see they added more amplification. I still cannot find the specs anywhere for the output though, just 2Vrms.

My Galaxy S4 died about 2 months ago,and I had read a lot of good stuff on this forum about the V20,so i decided to give it a try,and I was very impressed by its sound quality and power. Granted I havent heard every single mobile phone in existence but the power and SQ exceeds any i have heard,not to mention its also better sounding than my iBasso DX50 and Fiio X3.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #21 of 28

I like HE 400S but Massdrop has announced that they are going to get 10,000 units more of HD 6XX and the drop begins from July 10.

Which is better HE 400 S or HD 6xx for my needs?

Also,How good are V-Moda M100?I was not comfortable with HD 598 CS but I am willing to try Closed backs once again after reading all the suggestions here.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 28
Do you have any headphones that you listen to now?

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 28
Well I went for the HD 6xx. I'm a complete beginner, but after considerable research it's safe to say that at $199 it will be hard to beat that. The HD650 has quite a following and is well respected in the community. If you are on the fence I'd say give the HD6xx a try, especially considering the HD650 sells for over$200 used...

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 28
Between your options, 650 and HE400s sound like a good spot to be. The AKG K712/K7xx might not be an awful idea either, but it's a bit different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back