Help me decide? ER-4p but 10 yr old Technology
Apr 9, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 56
Agreed!
(I also agree about King Crimson too!)
Late,
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #32 of 56
There are a few other options also, shure and other brands have released multidrivers versions of canalphones that for some users sounded better than the Etys, so the short answer is yes, we have made a lot of progress in the way we move the air in ten years...specially consider that now we even have a three ways canalphone, in the same space we had one way in the past....and now we have very good headphones that 20 years ago were just a dream....

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
actually, loudspeaker technology has advanced quite rapidly in the past decade or so... primarily because of the multi-million dollar acoustics lab built by the canadian government and accessible to canadian audio companies.

that's why there has been such a proliferation of excellent, affordable canadian loudspeakers lately.

God bless the Canadians! Paradigm rocks!

Your point is well taken, I did not mean there is no advancement but that the pace of change is slow relative to electronics. My Paradigm Studios are better than the set I had 10 years ago but the difference, and maybe this is just my perception, is not as great as my laptop. 10 years ago I was driving a 486, MS Windows 3.1 crash every hour, 100lb system. Gosh I miss that @#$@#$ thing
smily_headphones1.gif
, I used to be able to get a gym workout in while it booted up. In comparison, my laptop is like 100 times better.

Okay, not back to our regularly scheduled program.

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
...any new models that come out, from any company, aren't going to make the current Etys sound any worse.

So true...this should really end the argument.

P.S. I thank the stars that the ER4P is only $200-230. I can still afford a full sized phone to go along with the Etys.
etysmile.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #35 of 56
And the ety's didnt just drop in price. I bought mine over two yrs. ago for $220 shipped overnight. So they have been reduced for a while. I did hear ety is looking into putting out a new model. I think I read it in the new iPod buyers guide that was floating around here and at ipodlounge.com. But that dosnt mean it will be an improvement over the 4p. (it probably will be but,) I think you will be happy with the 4p's. If a new model comes out Im sure it will be like $3-500 anyway so the $200 4p isnt such a bad value.

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #36 of 56
New model? I wonder what it woud be called/look like/sound like? I also kind ponder what the ER1's were like...
rolleyes.gif
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #37 of 56
Yea, Im almost positive it was in that 2005 ipod buyers guide. But I cant seem to get the link to open it. It keeps coming up an error. If anyone can get it to work, scroll to the area that has the headphones and read the part by the pics of the er6i's and UE's etc.

Apr 9, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #38 of 56
I'll see if I can find it...
etysmile.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #40 of 56
Were there also ER3's and ER5's (not to be confused with Shure e3 and e5)?
...Oh, wait--there are! Thanks for the link.
Late,
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #41 of 56
I appreciated all or your comments. It moved me to order a set ot ER-4P'S which will be delivered on 4/12 . . . can't wait
icon10.gif

Found a pair "new" at www.pagecomputer.com for $214 + $7.50 shipping, I went with the $13.50 two day UPS air. Tracking says delivery due

Also picked up the ER-4p to ER4-s converter cable from: www.toddtheVinyljunkie.com for $45 + $5.00 shipping.

I'll report back on my first ER-4p impressions from my layman's point of hearing for other newbies to read.

Once again,this forum's members were great in helping push me over the edge with my decision to buy these canal headphones and I'll donate a few bucks to the forum next week as soon as my next paycheck hits since my wallet at present is somewhat deflated (ouch)
etysmile.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #42 of 56
Old tech I would take my belt drive turntable and some old phones and records any day. they just dont build them to last anymore it seems they build them to dir after a few years or day after using them.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #43 of 56
I wouldn't read too much into the price fluctuations. I know that there is a lot going on right now in terms of developing tighter pricing controls on the web by Etymotic...and among a number of vendors.

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #44 of 56
I've always found Todd's price on the ER4-P + adaptor at TTVJ to be a great value due to his discount, and is easily one of my dream packages. I can settle for ER6i's as my dream phones in the meantime though. That, and he's faster than sh** when it comes to shipping. I can't appreciate that enough.

Oh, and Tyll, how's it goin' over at HeadRoom? I hope you'll update your site with reviews of the new Sennheisers coming out(HD485, etc.?) and the Grado SR325i,-I wonder what they're like. Also, more headphones added to the excellent 'Build-A-Graph' would be awesome if you ever get the time. In any case, the site is great, and it gets better all the time.

etysmile.gif
ing probably isn't compatible with baby corn or lufa sponge pieces in your ears,
Abe

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #45 of 56
seeberg said:
I've always found Todd's price on the ER4-P + adaptor at TTVJ to be a great value due to his discount . .

EXpidia: I actually found Todd's site by doing a search for the cable and most wanted $55-65 + high shipping. Todd was $45 and a flat $5.00 for shipping.
His flat fee shipping is really a fair deal to me, he even comments on his site that he does not try to make up a discounted price by jacking up the shipping to make up for it. This is the kind of vendor I really enjoy giving the business to. . . I'm new to this site so I didn't even know he advertised here until just after the day I ordered it when I saw Todd's ad at the top of one of the pages.

For future orders (or maybe I could somehow let him know I saw his ad here too so he knows his advertising here is working for him) How would one do this?

Does Todd offer a discount to members here when you click on his link to buy a product?

On the ER-4p converter cable . . . I rent a two family house so I can rarely turn up my speakers with out fear of shaking loose the dentures of the women that lives upstairs. So I'm looking forward to the ER-4p's arrival next week so I can convert it to 4s and see what the amped phones are really capable of with out disturbing my neighbors and family
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back