Help me decide? ER-4p but 10 yr old Technology
Apr 6, 2005 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

EXpidia

New Head-Fier
A help me decide? ER-4p, but 10 yrs old . . .

From all the reviews I could find I'm leaning towards the ER-4p but the thing that holds me back from spending $220 (ER-4p has a list of $330, but can be found on net with shipping for $$220).

From what I read the ER-4p is just the ER-4s with the P being for power or Portable giving the unit improved impedence to work with lower impedence iPods and the ER-4s is made to work with home stereo equipment.

It's not the cost issue to me as much as it's the thought of plunking down the $220 on headphone technology that was designed 10 years ago.

I know the ER-6 is out there too and are probably newer in design than the ER-4 units (at least they look like a new design).

Many still like the sound quality of the ER-4 over the ER-6
So I'd rather spring for the extra dollars and go with the ER-4 unit

But with technology changing as fast as it does why would I go with technology this old (10 years is really old in my mind).

I only paid $212 for my iPod Mini, and as soon as I bought it a month later they came out with a new version with an 18 hour battery. The 8 hour battery on mine was the biggest shortfall I had an issue with.

Have any other iPoders out there been pondering the same ? regarding making this big an investment in old technology ???

I appreciate input from anyone helping me to decide before I take the plunge on the ER-4p.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 56
Have you ever listened to a high end audio system with turntable and tubes? Puts new technology solid state audio/ MP3/CDs to shame. It does not matter how old the technology is just how it performs.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 56
This is just my opinion, but I don't think headphone technology changes nearly as quickly as computer technology. Unlike video and processor technology, advances in headphones seem relatively finite.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 56
IPod buds are newer and (therefore better) technology, I guess...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 56
i still use my sony d-5 pcdp at work with a musical fidelity x-can tube amp and my er4p. the pcdp is 20years old, er4p is a 10 year old design and i think the x-can is about 10 years old too. i guess i just like old equipment that sounds good.

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
in the last 10 years there hasn't been that much advancement in the field of propogating vibrations through the air.

This is true. Speakers do not really change oftern and when they do, it is for newer materials or electronics behind the transducers and cones that create sound. The pace of change is slow (except for subwoofers IMO, e.g. Velodyne's DD series--have a ton of electronics and software). I can see why headphones would be similarly long lived.

At the end of the day, it does not matter if the technology is 10 years or 10 minutes old. All that matters is if you like the sound.

I belive Ipods and the internet word of mouth have greatly expanded the exposure to Etymotics consumer phones. That exposure must be driving up sales and I have no doubt that Etymotics will release a newer version of the ER4s at some point, hopefully one that facilitates wraping the cords over the ear ala Shures. This is pure speculation and will not hold me back from getting the joy of the ER4Ps now.

I am currently a happy ER6i owner and that is their newest phone. Everyone I have had the pleasure of corresponding with regarding ER6is and ER4P/S all felt the price difference was justified for the ER4s.

etysmile.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonoh
This is true. Speakers do not really change oftern and when they do, it is for newer materials or electronics behind the transducers and cones that create sound. The pace of change is slow (except for subwoofers IMO, e.g. Velodyne's DD series--have a ton of electronics and software). I can see why headphones would be similarly long lived.

actually, loudspeaker technology has advanced quite rapidly in the past decade or so... primarily because of the multi-million dollar acoustics lab built by the canadian government and accessible to canadian audio companies.

that's why there has been such a proliferation of excellent, affordable canadian loudspeakers lately.

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 56
I have been using ER4Ps for a week. I use 595s and 650s at home. Last night I broke open a set of Shure E5cs. While I do love my 650s the most, the ER4P is a close second. I wouldn't worry about aging technology. They sound amazing and that's all that really matters. Maybe the shure E5cs need some burn-in time, but thus far, I much prefer the Etymotics. I'm trouble getting a proper seal with the Shures. The Shures are extremely clear and detailed, but a bit hollow sounding compared to the Etys.

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
that's why there has been such a proliferation of excellent, affordable canadian loudspeakers lately.

Yup. Go Axiom!
smily_headphones1.gif

Back on topic... I'd say don't worry so much about the age issue. Look at the Sony CD3000 and R10, Grado RS-1's, hell, look at the Grado HP series... they're all around 10 years old, and holding up pretty well.

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
The Shures are extremely clear and detailed, but a bit hollow sounding compared to the Etys.

Weird... I thought people generally found the opposite to be true.

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 56
The leap in technology is really in manufacturing. E.g. Parts like diaphragm can now be made to precise thickness and consistency much easier and faster. Stronger composite material on can housing which are better machined and mounted cheaply. More effecient magnets etc. But the concept remains the same. Beside one of the advancment is in electronic components which a set of typical analog dynamic/electrostatic cans has little of. So I won't bother so much with etys being a 10yr old technology.

There was a poll sometime ago regarding the oldest cans in the forum, do a search. Many of those "ancient" cans are still in daily use (e.g. MDR-E484)

What you may want to avoid instead is poorly maintain 10yrs old phones rather than 10yrs old technologies!!

And the top of line ety is still ER-4B/P/S.

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 56
Speakers and headphones don't seem to obey planned obsolescence the way other technologies do...this leads to some interesting results:

1) Ten year old heaphones outperforming new headphones.

And the corollary...

2) Retention or increase in price of older headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back