HELP ME CONVINCE MY DAD
Jun 28, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Dear Dad,
I have discovered happiness! But it was a steep price to pay. Recently I've paid an under-aged hooker to clip my toe-nails for $50! What an experience it was, I may have to do that again. Next I spent $150 (oh what a deal it was!) for a tattoo with of my girlfriend's name, Yolanda. She is grand alright, though quite expensive. I decided to protect her and pay for the 'medicinal' drugs for her pain, and mine too. Did you know the moon speaks to me? Wonderful colors. Anyways, I've probably spent more than $200 on things that would make me happy forever!

Love,
<NAME>

PS. I didn't do any of the above, but I spent $200 on headphones... Theres worse things I could have wasted my money on too.... Like Starbucks or smokes.

HAHA i like it!

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Get a weekend job at McDonalds, and earn yourself some money and get the headphones using your salary. Your dad would be so proud of you, he wouldnt make any comments on the expensive cans.

I would do that aswell, not only will he not comment but you will also have extra cash.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #48 of 66
Well just thought I'd chime in seeing as how I'm 16 and have had to deal with similar situations with my dad. I think you should tell your dad you plan on buying them before you purchase them. If you don't tell him and just let him find out you bought them he's likely to be more pissed since not only did you spend $200 on headphones, you did it behind his back. As for how to convince him...well that really depends on the kind of person your dad is. My dad is an engineer and so analyzes everything (including purchases I make). So when I want to buy something I have to provide facts about the product...me just saying it's something I'd enjoy doesn't go anywhere with him. One thing I've learned to use is resale value. I have no idea what used E4s are going for on the For Sale forums but I'm sure you'd be losing very little money of your initial purpose, making it a very safe investment. Try explaining that to your dad and any other similar things you can think of and see if that gets you anywhere.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain

P.S. I will get these headphones with or without him knowing or approving, I just want to have a good defence when askes questions.

Thanks guys

This line implies to me that he already has the cash for it - he just wants to smooth the purchase over with his dad. So suggestions on how he can get the money for it are kinda moot, no?

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #52 of 66
Buying from a place where you can return them if you don't like them such as:

http://www.shurestore.com/index.html
http://earphonesolutions.com/

Tell him that you can return them if you don't like them, or if they don't work. Also tell him that they are better than many fullsize headphones at the same price range, and then show him proof online. In fact make a post comparing them to the BOSE phones. When people write how much better these are than the BOSE, then you can use that as proof too.

The other choice is to just buy some UE10 pros that way you won't need to ever upgrade again, therefore not going through this all over again.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Well a 29-year old is likely working a real job and supporting himself. As a sophomore in H.S. thebrain, naturally, is quite dependent on his parents. I say it's only normal (and indeed, good parenting) that his dad keeps an eye on where his money goes. Parents are responsible for teaching their kids the value of a dollar, priorities and so on. Does that mean thebrain shouldn't get his e4? No of course not. While he doesn't have a "real" job he is doing chores and stuff for his allowance and should be allowed to spend it however he wants, within reasonable, parent-defined limits.

If I were thebrain I'd say something like this: "Dad, most kids my age waste a lot of their cash on Starbucks coffee, beer, clothes, ringtones and other consumables. I want to spend mine on this pair of headphones that will last for years to come and make me really happy. How is that worse than what other kids spend their money on?"

This is the best post I've seen so far, and worth repeating.

"It's his money, so he should do whatever he wants with it" is a poor argument. Sure, it's his allowance, but does he pay for rent, utilities, food, etc? Didn't think so. While he's living under his parents' roof, he needs to abide by their (reasonable) wishes. They're only trying to look out for his best interests.

Interestingly enough, I actually never had an allowance as a kid. Chores were just something I was expected to do, and I simply asked my parents for money when I needed some (had to explain what it was for). By the time I got a part-time job in High School, my parents knew I was very responsible in terms of spending money, so they never bugged me about what I purchased.

Anyway, I would recommend that you speak to your father BEFORE you make any "major" purchases (like these phones). It doesn't sound like he will "forbid" you to buy them, so why not try to convince him first? This way, by making reasoned, intelligent arguments, you'll show your father that you are growing up into a responsible young adult. If he's sufficiently impressed with your maturity, getting his approval for your future purchases will be that much easier (you know there'll be more
icon10.gif
).

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #54 of 66
Tell him it is just the start of a life-long obsession with audio that will ultimately make you a better person. If he doesn't believe that tell him to check with your future wife.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 66
Tell him beforehand, but don't ask him -- if you ask him and he says no and you do it anyway, that's bad. But present it as, "Yes, I know they're expensive, I've been saving up for X time, but I've done my research and they really are good headphones at a decent price."

If he has hearing loss and therefore can't enjoy headphones, point out how good these new ones will be for isolation and that therefore, you can listen at a much lower volume and hopefully end up with less hearing loss in the future.

Another thing, don't count out his ability to hear quality -- my own father is extremely hard of hearing although he likes music. He didn't get himself a cd player until after he'd heard mine, since he didn't figure he could hear well enough for it to be a difference. After he heard how much better they are than tapes, he had one within a month or so.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #56 of 66
UPDATE
Here is the next part of the story for all of those who posted:
I bought them this morning (7/7/05) from headroom for $189. I hope to receive them Tuesday, (actually I hoped for Saturday, but not with fedex
frown.gif
. This evening after dinner, my Dad was in a good mood so I decided to drop the beams. Here is the story

My dad was sitting at the computer and he was done playing cards and about to leave and go to bed and read and I told him to click on the minimized headroom page. He said "Oh, yeah I meant to look at that this morning to see what it was.” He opens it and notices that it is a headphones site after he clicks on the '10 best headphones link ‘(the e4c's are one of headroom's ten best, booyah). He remarks, "that’s just what you need, a new pair of headphones." My reply was, "That’s exactly what I am getting,” and we proceeded to the page with the e4c info on it. I told him something like I was getting the best headphones and he came back with the remark, "for the next 3 months, maybe". I said; "I meant the best pair of headphones I’ve ever had, There are better phones than these right now, there's dual driver ones and triple drivers ones...and I don’t care"
Then he saw the price, I think his emotion can best be described by this :
eek.gif
or this
blink.gif
. I told him that the ones I got were $10 less with free shipping and as he added them to the cart to look at shipping and such, I told him that I had already bought them. This is were the resistance really started. “Where’d you get the money?” I replied that I had been selling old headphones and earphone sleeves and such for a week or two. My mom started chiming in about how long it took me to buy these, etc, but didn’t really help because then my dad kinda felt that we had been planning this behind his back. He looked at the picture, “but they’re just ear bubble (I cant quite remember what he said, but it wasn’t earbuds), there’s tiny, how can they be $200.) I started trying to explain how they sound better and such, but it didn’t really get through to him.
After this he believed that I had been seduced by marketing, that ads and headphone seller had convinced me to buy these with, as he put it, mine/his money. I was angry at this point (convinced by adds my ass), but I remained calm. I replied that I had been researching these for a couple of weeks, reading
reviews, opinions, etc.
He said, “Who’s reviews, some 80 year old grandmothers reviews?” I said, “No, they were not 80 yr olds” “How do you know” “Because I have seen pictures of them (refering to CNET reviewers, which actually didn’t help me much on this one, but I said it anyway)” Dad says, “What, pictures of 80 yr olds” I said, “Dad, they were headphone reviewers and professional reviewers.” Dad says, “pffffttttt, professional reviewers.” Sensing that I was loosing here, I went back to my last point. “Dad, the reason I bought these from the company I did is because of their return policy, if these aren’t totally worth $189, and I keep all of the little bits and pieced I can return them for free.” That helped, but BY NO MEANS did it convince him. I had one last argument in my holster. “Dad, I feel that you aren’t convinced yet and I feel you need an analogie: remember those Bose Quiet Comfort’s.” “Ya.” “Do you remember the spiffy little electronic noise isolation in them.” “Ya, it hurt your ears.” “No, that was from the type of headphone (my inner ear can’t take circumaural ‘phones), anyway these headphones block out noise better, sound better, and vastly smaller, and are $100 cheaper (I should have also mentioned that he bought those for me, while I bought these with my allowance).” My dad says, “will you let me try them when you get them?” I said, “No,” My Dad very quickly said, “Why”. “Because I believe you ears are semi-shot (he started mumbling a response, but I kept on going), I remember when you were here at home, listening to your mp3 player, with the volume cranked up to the max, cranked up so hight that you could hear it in a different room (maybe a stretch, I should have said ‘in the hallway’).” My dad, beginning to calm down a bit, said “ give them a fair trial (I will, I will, I said), and only keep them if they are MUCH better” I tried to communicate that this had been my plan all along, but he had to tell me again. My mom said something, and my dad, tired of being convinced, I am better now. I said, half jokingly, “he just had to let it sink in.” I think I said something like, I knew there was going to be resistance, and my dad said there wasn’t any resistance. I said, “Bulls**t there wasn’t any god da*ned resistance” and he started to laugh because he knew it was true I think. That was just about it, he told be to give them a fair evaluation one more time and he went to bed.
This is how it occurred to the best of my reccolection, I have tried not to embellish anything and I tried not to make anyone sound better or worse than they were. When my e4c’s have arrived I will test and compare them with my e2c’s and post a full review and comparison on head-fi.

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 66
Choose any one of these:

1. They will help me get laid.
2. I am helping the economy.
3. Be glad I don't want the money for:
a) drugs
b) gambling
c) booze
d)prostitutes/call girls
e) body piercing
4. They will help me study acoustical theory.
5. This will be the last pair I want (like hell, but worth a try).
6. I will sell an old pair or two on ebay, but the price on these is so good
I have to jump on them now.
7. If you don't give me the money for them I will seek to become legally
emancipated, then enlist in the Army for a tour of Iraq.

There are many other excuses, limited only by your imagination.
lambda.gif

Sorry if some of these are duplicate suggestions: I was so anxious to help, I did not take the time to read all the previous posts.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #60 of 66
man you had it all covered until the "i already bought them" part lol! it's far better to wait to buy until you convince your dad that he's buying them for you and it's his idea. that way, you wouldn't have even had to spend your own cash! anyhoo glad you explained it away well enough
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back