HELP ME CONVINCE MY DAD
Jun 27, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #31 of 66
i would sell your old pair and tell your dad about your sell/buy deal and how much $$ is coming out of pocket - he might be impressed about how you're budgeting for your hobby. of course, that's if you really want to get rid of your old pair lol! but let me tell you, it works. i used that argument for every can i had, and somehow i ended up with a HP2 after a year, when it was putting teeth to get a $99 MS-1 to start off. it just ended up being like this-

"Honey, PLEASE can I get the MS-1? Pleasepleasepleaseplease"

"I got rid of my iPaq for the cash for the DT770, it's like Found Money!"

"But Babe, the MS-1 will be leaving the house for the MS-2, I'm selling the MS-2 to (magic phrase when cash actually has to leave the wallet) *Help Offset the Cost!*"

"Oh the SR200? No money out of the bank, I swear! I sold the MS-2 and the little bit left over was to help for paypal fees and shipping!"

And when the wife gets home and sees the shiny HP-2 this week...

"Did you see any money leave the bank account? I didn't! I gave away half my hobby for this thing! I practiced self-sacrifice for the sake of our marriage!"

I hope that gives you a little idea of how to stay out of the doghouse! Enjoy yourself, wheedling your way out is half the fun!

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #32 of 66
I just buy and when my parents see it, I just say - well I had to get the best headphones I could buy, right? I mean, do you want me to listen to subpar headphones? Arent my ears and I worth atleast just a little more cash?

*Then my mom slaps me*

Lol.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #33 of 66
Don't take this the wrong way...

But when I read that, it made *me* wanna smack you too!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 66
my dad has had suprisingly little reaction to the fact that ive probably spent hmmm, good question, how much have i spent? (breaks out the calculator) 1300 dollars in the past 6 months on headphones/amps/soundcards/DACs/speakers, you get the idea. i know he likes music but i dont think his early dead days give him much ears left to hear with. i think hes a little annoyed hes paying for my college and im paying for the hi-fi, but i know he understands because he likes music and i imagine he will enjoy my setup(s) someday soon.

rj

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #35 of 66
say: "you spend $200 on ____, and you use them X hours a day. I will spend $190 on earphones, and I will use them X hours a day. (showing that him spending the same on something he barely uses, or you spending a little less on something u use like 5 hours a day...

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain
Sorry for the extra reply..

In regard to the guy(s) who said that a 16 yr old shouldnt have $200 earphones. THAT IS CRAP. I could see if you meant some dip****kid who couldnt keep track of anything, then, well, yes. Just not me. I dont want to start rambling on about how flawless my ipod is compared to my friends' ones, etc, so Ill just say, like one poster mentioned, I will baby the crap out of these things.

14, i have spent probobly 500 on headphones, all my money. I take care of my stuff, I dont remember anything that has broken on me, or lost.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #37 of 66
Well I'm 13 and in the last 10 months my dad has bought me a 20Gb iPod, Shure E2c's, Shure E3c's, Shure E5c's, a nice iPod Vaja case, new soundcard and a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers for my computer. I've saved up for some of this and I've also sold off the E2c's and E3c's. My dad's pretty cool about all this.

I wonder what I will be buying when I'm older.
orphsmile.gif
Time will tell.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Dad's will never be convinced, just tell him that you're a faggot and that your boyfriend told you to get them. He'll realize that he's out of his league and will leave you alone to do whateve you want to do and to plough your manhood into whatever you want to.

Eventually just tell him that you've re-found jesus and need him in your life again. Just don't tell him that you found Jesus at the end of a all male circle jerk.

Now you have your headphones and your family is back on your side again.

roflmfao!!!

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i would sell your old pair and tell your dad about your sell/buy deal and how much $$ is coming out of pocket - he might be impressed about how you're budgeting for your hobby. of course, that's if you really want to get rid of your old pair lol! but let me tell you, it works. i used that argument for every can i had, and somehow i ended up with a HP2 after a year, when it was putting teeth to get a $99 MS-1 to start off. it just ended up being like this-

"Honey, PLEASE can I get the MS-1? Pleasepleasepleaseplease"

"I got rid of my iPaq for the cash for the DT770, it's like Found Money!"

"But Babe, the MS-1 will be leaving the house for the MS-2, I'm selling the MS-2 to (magic phrase when cash actually has to leave the wallet) *Help Offset the Cost!*"

"Oh the SR200? No money out of the bank, I swear! I sold the MS-2 and the little bit left over was to help for paypal fees and shipping!"

And when the wife gets home and sees the shiny HP-2 this week...

"Did you see any money leave the bank account? I didn't! I gave away half my hobby for this thing! I practiced self-sacrifice for the sake of our marriage!"

I hope that gives you a little idea of how to stay out of the doghouse! Enjoy yourself, wheedling your way out is half the fun!

LOL Jahn! Do you actually have to explain everything to your wife?
280smile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé
Well I'm 13 and in the last 10 months my dad has bought me a 20Gb iPod, Shure E2c's, Shure E3c's, Shure E5c's, a nice iPod Vaja case, new soundcard and a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers for my computer. I've saved up for some of this and I've also sold off the E2c's and E3c's. My dad's pretty cool about all this.

I wonder what I will be buying when I'm older.
orphsmile.gif
Time will tell.

.................................................. .................................................. .......
.................................................. .................................................. .......

Wow... I wish my dad would buy my audio stuff for me. I have spent over 1300 in the last 5 months in audio equipment.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #43 of 66
Write him a note after you buy them

Quote:

Dear Dad,
I have discovered happiness! But it was a steep price to pay. Recently I've paid an under-aged hooker to clip my toe-nails for $50! What an experience it was, I may have to do that again. Next I spent $150 (oh what a deal it was!) for a tattoo with of my girlfriend's name, Yolanda. She is grand alright, though quite expensive. I decided to protect her and pay for the 'medicinal' drugs for her pain, and mine too. Did you know the moon speaks to me? Wonderful colors. Anyways, I've probably spent more than $200 on things that would make me happy forever!

Love,
<NAME>

PS. I didn't do any of the above, but I spent $200 on headphones... Theres worse things I could have wasted my money on too.... Like Starbucks or smokes.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #44 of 66
Get a weekend job at McDonalds, and earn yourself some money and get the headphones using your salary. Your dad would be so proud of you, he wouldnt make any comments on the expensive cans.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Get a weekend job at McDonalds, and earn yourself some money and get the headphones using your salary. Your dad would be so proud of you, he wouldnt make any comments on the expensive cans.

That's the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back