HELP ME CONVINCE MY DAD
Jun 27, 2005 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

thebrain

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, every day I become more into headphones. Probably 4 or 5 months ago I picked up a pair of used Shure e2c. I love them. They sound good, have excellent isolation, etc. I have been closely following the e3c's and now the e4c'. I have begun to notice the lacking highs (cymbals) of my e2c. All of the positive reviews of the e4c's has convinced me to try them out. I want to do a close comparison to my e2c's to see if my ears are sophisticated to tell the difference, if they are I will keep the e4c's, if not I will keep the e2c's.

Okay I told you all that to tell you this. My dad thinks I have too many headphones (I know, I know, it rediculous, you can never have too many headphones). But before I got the shure's I was stuck in the land of cheapo headphones. I want to break free. I need help convincing my father that the e4c are worth $190.
Here's what I've got so far for defence:
-(I had the Bose QC2's for a while),"they sound better and give better isolation than the Bose for a hundred bucks less.
-"I am getting a good deal on them"
-"I will only keep them them if they are a huge improvement (probably a lie, I will keep them if there is only mediocre improvement over my e2's)"
-"They are extremely good quality"
-"You said I should buy something from Shure after they were so nice in giving me all of those sleeves, well, this is what I am getting"

When offering up suggestions, please refrain from suggesting that I should just have him listen to them, because A: I dont think my dad can tell the difference from good and bad 'phones and B: I think my dad ears are almost shot anyway (could be a reason for A, whenever he listens to headphones-which isnt often, he doesnt like them-he listens to them extremely loudly.)
That being said I welcome any comments or suggestions you guys might have.

Thebrain

P.S. I will get these headphones with or without him knowing or approving, I just want to have a good defence when askes questions.

Thanks guys

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 66
Hah, luckily my dad has no clue how much I've spent on headphones and related equipment...and I have no intentions of ever telling him either, since I value my life. My mom on the other hand can at least appreciate the new setup I put together (every now and then I catch her dancing around while listening to my HD650s). I had one heck of a time convincing her to lend me the extra cash I needed for a pair of RS-1s today, however...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm curious to hear what kind of responses you'll get here. I could use something to strengthen my defense as to why I've peed all my money away lately on this stuff, since I've had difficulty explaining my actions to others who just don't get this hobby. I'm not about to let those shmucks into my home, let alone have my precious babies grace their ugly domes, so that's out. I guess my dad will find out one of these days too, so I should seriously think about what I'm going to say.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 66
I think a lot of it depends upon why he is opposed to you getting new headphones. Neither of my parents try to stop me, but I pay for my tuition, food, car, the occasional utility bill, phone, and on occasion have lent them moderate amounts of money. I also help a lot with my brother's activities.
If you're taking care of everything your parents expect you to, and aren't over extending yourself, your dad should stop nagging. Be direct about it, or else you'll continue to have an issue with him.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 66
It depends if you want him to pay for them or not.

In my case, my parents don't see why I spend so much, but its not their money, so they really have no say in it.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 66
your dad is probably right

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 66
Dad's will never be convinced, just tell him that you're a faggot and that your boyfriend told you to get them. He'll realize that he's out of his league and will leave you alone to do whateve you want to do and to plough your manhood into whatever you want to.

Eventually just tell him that you've re-found jesus and need him in your life again. Just don't tell him that you found Jesus at the end of a all male circle jerk.

Now you have your headphones and your family is back on your side again.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain
P.S. I will get these headphones with or without him knowing or approving, I just want to have a good defence when askes questions.

Personally, I think the best investment would be buying him a refurbished HD600. It'll only be a matter of time before he's got more posts than you and goes through upgraditus. You'll be the primary beneficiary of the hand-me-downs.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Dad's will never be convinced, just tell him that you're a faggot and that your boyfriend told you to get them. He'll realize that he's out of his league and will leave you alone to do whateve you want to do and to plough your manhood into whatever you want to.

Eventually just tell him that you've re-found jesus and need him in your life again. Just don't tell him that you found Jesus at the end of a all male circle jerk.

How many times will this work before they catch on?

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam

Wow, that was great!

Seriously, if it's your money, then your dad shouldn't be able to stop you from purchasing the E4c. And you could always say that you sold your E2c to recoup some of the money (that's if you decide to keep the E4c, which I think you would do if you heard them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Seriously, if it's your money, then your dad shouldn't be able to stop you from purchasing the E4c.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with this. There might be a lot more at stake than just money here. Doing what this poster suggests might piss your dad off, because you are basically saying "Dad, I don't care what you say / think, I'm going to do what I want to do anyway and you can't stop me."

There are many means to the same end. I would first try and find out why your dad is opposed to you buying new headphones.

- Does he think they are too expensive? That you spent too much money on headphones already?
- Does he think you are neglecting your other responsibilities (school, chores, etc)?
- Does he just not understand your headphone hobby? It is the natural inclination of people to say "no" to things they don't understand.

If it is pure money, then offer to work for the money and pay for it yourself.

If he thinks you are neglecting your other responsibilities, then ask him to come up with a list of achievable short-term goals he would like to see (ie, mow the lawn for 4 weeks, get an "A" on your next math exam, etc), and agree to complete these goals if he would let you buy new headphones.

If he doesn't understand your headphone hobby, ask to sit down with him for 30 minutes so you can share your headphone hobby with him.

It is also safe to remind him that:
1. Your headphone hobby is safe and healthy (much better than drugs and sex (in his eyes, anyway), right?)
2. You are willing to pay for your headphones yourself.
3. Even though he does not understand your hobby, or find the same enthusiasm in headphones as you do, ask him to respect your choice of hobby as your personal preference.

I think that by offering to discussing this topic with him in a reasonable matter and showing that you are willing to meet him halfway to address both of your needs, your dad will let you get the headphones and respect you all the more for the way you chose to approach him.

And BTW, if detail is what you are looking for, I would recommend Ety 4P's. I used to own Shure E5Cs, but got rid of them because they couldn't touch the detail that Etys provide.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 66
I don't think I would remind him how much you spent on the Bose, if I were you. Every time you say "these are cheaper than the Bose" he suddenly thinks to himself "oh yeah, what was wrong with those $250 ones?" and "oh my god, he already HAS $250 ones!" If I were you, I think I'd have a little "accident" with the Bose cans...

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I don't think I would remind him how much you spent on the Bose, if I were you. Every time you say "these are cheaper than the Bose" he suddenly thinks to himself "oh yeah, what was wrong with those $250 ones?" and "oh my god, he already HAS $250 ones!" If I were you, I think I'd have a little "accident" with the Bose cans...

Or sell them, to make him see that you're not just hoarding but are in a cycle of buying/selling. You can make good money on the Bose, as they sell for a lot more than they're actually worth (not hard, cos they're crap) - and that way you'll have the money for the E4cs anyway!
biggrin.gif
Win-win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back