HELP ME CONVINCE MY DAD
Jun 27, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
Well, I don't necessarily agree with this. There might be a lot more at stake than just money here. Doing what this poster suggests might piss your dad off, because you are basically saying "Dad, I don't care what you say / think, I'm going to do what I want to do anyway and you can't stop me."

I was under the impression that the OP was going to purchase the E4c with his own hard-earned money. Yes, his dad is concerned that his son might not know the value of the dollar. It's not a matter of rebellion -- saying that you're going to spend your money on whatever you want and dad can't stop you -- but a matter of showing the dad that you worked as hard as you can to save up the money with the goal (E4c) in mind, and that you still haven't changed your mind despite all the hard work it took to save up $200.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 66
Does your Dad have something that he spends money on? (smoking, cars, music, computers, or any other hobbies he may have) If he does then tell him that headphones to you are like his hobbie to him. If he smokes, you could say something like, "At least what i spend my money on doen't kill me"

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
Does your Dad have something that he spends money on? (smoking, cars, music, computers, or any other hobbies he may have) If he does then tell him that headphones to you are like his hobbie to him. If he smokes, you could say something like, "At least what i spend my money on doen't kill me"

I didn't realise the title of this thread was "HELP ME PISS OFF MY DAD"
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 66
Instead of getting the shure E4cs, SAVE and GET the UE10-PROS. This way you will never have to convince him again (as far as canalphones at least). If you get the E4cs it is likely that you'll find yourself doing this again to upgrade.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 66
Here its exactly the same. My dad is always sceptic about my potential purchase. I just let him whine for a little time, let the subject die. I buy the stupid product. He uses it sometimes, is convinced and wants one for himself.
Always the same story. My tft screen, keyboards. And for the likes of this forum. He 'borrowed' my shures and went off to china for 4 weeks, he used my dt880 and amp when i still had it.

So my advice. Just let it go, and after a few weeks buy it.

Oh and a nice argument would be that its better to spend your money on this hobby than to spend it on drugs/cigarettes/alcohol or some stupid car
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 66
To reply to some of the posters here:
-I returned (they wre actually a present from my dad. he knew about the return) the BOse's. NOw Looking at whether or not reminding him of that, I think I wont because we have a WAVE stereo (BOSE) and he loves it, and I indeed see nothing wrong with it. (I am a headphone guy not a speaker guy, so get off my back, I know its a Bose)

-I dont think there is anything else there is that I coudl do(in terms of achievements) I already am a 2 sport athlete with 3 varsity letters after my sophmore year, and a 4.0.

-I get an allowance for doing chores and such, and this is where the majority of the e4c money is going to come from.

-My dad probably wont physically try and stop me from getting these, but I would rather that he not think I was a ******* buying yet another set of headphones.

Okay, new question, do I tell him after I get the headphones (i.e. he sees $190 dissappear from my checking account when he looks at my statement every month), or should I tell him when they arrive, ot while they are in shipment, or before I actually buy them?

Again, I WILL get these earphones
etysmile.gif
, I just to have as little possible resisitnance from my dad as possible.

P.S. My mom totally understands, she think I use headphones a lot (which I do), and she will probably even throw in a couple bucks towards the new ones, so...one parent down.

thanks guys

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 66
Ask your mom to talk to your dad about you getting them. If she does not want to I would say to tell him before you get them. That way you won't run the risk of him getting really ticked.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #24 of 66
Having 1 parent down is already an accomplishment. I would have to say - get her on your side.. buy the item, use the thing around the house and have your dad see you use it.

He'll probably ask you what it is, just casually tell him they're the e4c. He will probably put up a little fight, but just ease him by telling him that these were the best purchase you have made to date. He'll probably back off after seeing that you are happy with the purchase.

I think your dad's main concern is that you spend the money and you arent satisfied.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 66
Well, his youth shouldn't come into play at all in this. Are you saying that a 29-year old with stock ipod earbuds who just throws them in a backpack/ purse will take better care of headphones than a 16-year old headphone enthusiast, just because s/he is 29?

If anything, he'll take BETTER care of the headphones, because he's spending a larger percentage of his disposable income on these.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 66
I dont really want to bring my mom into this thing, if she wants to ge to bat for me, fine, but I not going to ask her to.

Joey V's plan was the one I was thinking about myself. And I think I can work it out that he can see me enjoying the hell out of these 'phones, before he sees the fact that they cost $190.

A little history, a year or two ago (in my dark ages before head-fi and semiaudiphileness) I bought a pair of Sony h.ear (?, they were the little ear hanger things), anyway I showed em to my dad and I think the reaction was "Theyre so tiny, theyre nothing to them...", But then again he just shrugged the E2c off as another set of headphones and grumbled something like"oh, ya, thats what you need, ANother set of headphones" I am just worried about the e4c becasue they are so small and light, like my dad thought that the Bose were expensive but they were worth it because A:they had size, B: they had some kinda spiffy internal circuitry. The SHures have none of this, al they do I sound un-screwing-believable.

I am still welcoming an tips and/or suggestions
thanks guys

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #28 of 66
Sorry for the extra reply..

In regard to the guy(s) who said that a 16 yr old shouldnt have $200 earphones. THAT IS CRAP. I could see if you meant some dip****kid who couldnt keep track of anything, then, well, yes. Just not me. I dont want to start rambling on about how flawless my ipod is compared to my friends' ones, etc, so Ill just say, like one poster mentioned, I will baby the crap out of these things.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
Well, his youth shouldn't come into play at all in this. Are you saying that a 29-year old with stock ipod earbuds who just throws them in a backpack/ purse will take better care of headphones than a 16-year old headphone enthusiast, just because s/he is 29?

Well a 29-year old is likely working a real job and supporting himself. As a sophomore in H.S. thebrain, naturally, is quite dependent on his parents. I say it's only normal (and indeed, good parenting) that his dad keeps an eye on where his money goes. Parents are responsible for teaching their kids the value of a dollar, priorities and so on. Does that mean thebrain shouldn't get his e4? No of course not. While he doesn't have a "real" job he is doing chores and stuff for his allowance and should be allowed to spend it however he wants, within reasonable, parent-defined limits.

If I were thebrain I'd say something like this: "Dad, most kids my age waste a lot of their cash on Starbucks coffee, beer, clothes, ringtones and other consumables. I want to spend mine on this pair of headphones that will last for years to come and make me really happy. How is that worse than what other kids spend their money on?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back