Help me choose! Triple or Quad 1964 Ears?
May 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

musicman88

New Head-Fier
Finally, the time has come where I can purchase a new set of Customs! My UE5c's have served me well over the last 6 year, but they are beginning to die on me. I have decided to purchase a pair of 1964 ears largely due to budget constraints, but also because I hear great things about their products.

So the question is should I get the Triples or Quads? I don't have an amp and will be listening to these monitors mostly through my Macbook Pro (2008) and my iPhone 4.  Vocals are a very important part of the mix to me (as I used to me a singer) and want monitors that don't hide the vocals in the mix. My UE5c's, in my opinion, hide the vocals a bit. I like a decent amount of tight bass but I wouldn't consider myself a "bass head".  I tend to like a "fun" sounding earphone, rather than a really flat analytical earphone, if that makes sense. I listen to a wide variety of music from Lady Gaga, to Simon & Garfunkel, from Blue Grass to Big Band, as well as some classical. 

I have the budget to get the Quads at $500, but want to get the monitor that is best for my situation rather than just the most expensive. Anybody out there happen to have both the Triples and Quads that could give me a comparison?
Thanks!

May 24, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 6
frankly, besides the 1964 ears ppl, i dont bliv theres more than a handful (if that) that has both these customs trips & quads so its gonna be basically a rhetorical question to begin with. that said for $150 more, mites well go for the TOTL as im thinking its the more 'musical & fun' of the duo much like the JH16 v JH13.

whichever the decision, goodluck & hope u provide a review to help others too.

May 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 6
From my understanding of the 1964 EARS thread:

flat analytical earphone = 1964T

"fun" sounding earphone = 1964Q

May 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Thank you.

Does anyone know how either the Triple or Quad sound right out of an iPhone without an amp? Is one more easily driven?

if we're talking all about a theoretical sense, i would say that the triples are more easily driven. I heard that if you want more bass impact you get the quads. Most people that like that analytical sound go for the triples. Triples seem like it would fit you perfectly. 

Amps in general mold sound and make it matter regardless of the IEMs. So although they won't need the extra boost, they'll definitely benefit from it no matter what. Just my two cents. Good luck on your decision

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I figured it would be useful for other people who have come looking as I have.   I just got shipped a set of the Quads and V3s to demo to see if I would like to purchase a set.   For reference, I have a pair of the Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers powered by an O2 DAC/amp.  I mostly listen to metal so I appreciate fast bass response and a darker sound signature, but still like a bit of warmth to the highs.

One of the main tracks that I tested with was "Time" by Pink Floyd (FLAC, of course) and I found the V3s to have a bit of a colder and almost lifeless sound quality to Gilmore's vocals, in particular around 2:24 to 3:10 or so.  The quads definitely sound a bit brighter in this area and they also offer a bit more instrumental separation.   The V3s sound a bit muddy/dry for what they are, but as Rip 'n Burn says, the V3s are the more analytical ones.   

That being said, this is my first foray into CIEMs and since these are universals they might not sound as good as what you would get with the molded ones.  I plan on giving the JH10x3s and JH11s a try in a few days when I visit an audiologist that sells/demos them and will report more.   Right now, I would take the quads over the V3s.  Compared to the Mad Dogs, the bass is a bit more present but not over bearing and the mids are certainly more forward than the Mad Dogs.  The highs are more present and almost to the point of sibilance, but cuts out before it.  (Probably also a product of the mix as well.)  Overall, I'm not sure I'm sold on CIEMs for the sound aspect, but I'm interested to see how the JHs pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back