Help me choose my first Audiophile Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Salamndar

New Head-Fier
Good day all,

Lately I was blessed by using my friends Hifiman HE400 on my sound blaster ZXR and I loved most of the experience.
The sound is crisp, pronounced and rich ( sorry I am no Audiophile and do not know the terminology) except for the bass as it is a little flat for my taste.
Also the HE400 seemed uncomfortable for long hours of PC use.

Could you please recommend me a headphone with the following characteristics :

Price between 199-450$ (Might go a little higher if it is worth it)
Sound quality as good as or better than HE400
Bass deeper than He400
Good for movies and Games (70% of the time will be gaming, 25% Movies, 5% Music) 
Comfortable for long hours of usage
Detachable cable
Open or semi open preferred.

Thank you.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 38
I've often seen the Philips X1 recommended for similar sets of needs. Here is a review (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1). They are currently listed on Amazon for $232.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 38
Hello,

Never tried the HE-400, therefore, I can't compare what I am to recommend below to HE-400. 

The Philips X1 indeed, will satisfy your needs and use the extra money for a better cable. 

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 38
Sennheiser Hd650 have some nice bass and is a really good phone, with many followers.

Haven't heard the he400 tho so can't compare them.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 38
It's closed, but sounds very open and wonderful---Shure SRH1540. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 38
If you want more bass, then you are truly a bass head. The he400 has some of the best bass out there. So perhaps you don't want and audiophile quality hp but rather a fart canon. Try one of the Sony mdr xb-500. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 38
  If you want more bass, then you are truly a bass head. The he400 has some of the best bass out there. So perhaps you don't want and audiophile quality hp but rather a fart canon. Try one of the Sony mdr xb-500. 

Did I hurt your feelings or something ! I know what I have heard, to me the HE400 bass is not deep enough.
If you have nothing to say to help or enrich this thread please keep your opinion to yourself, I do not need it and I doubt others who read this thread will do.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 38
MattCG is right.

If you want MORE bass, get the Sony mentioned above.

DO NOT GET BEATS unless you want mud instead of bass.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 38
  Did I hurt your feelings or something ! I know what I have heard, to me the HE400 bass is not deep enough.
If you have nothing to say to help or enrich this thread please keep your opinion to yourself, I do not need it and I doubt others who read this thread will do.

No hurt feelings at all. Just giving you my best advice. I've spend the past two years with the he400 and have helped many with this hp. The bass is the crown jewel of the he400. If the bass on the 400 doesn't do it for you, then you should look at a hp geared towards bass. The older denon's d2k and d5k would qualify as they have slightly more visceral impact than the he400. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 38

No hurt feelings at all. Just giving you my best advice. I've spend the past two years with the he400 and have helped many with this hp. The bass is the crown jewel of the he400. If the bass on the 400 doesn't do it for you, then you should look at a hp geared towards bass. The older denon's d2k and d5k would qualify as they have slightly more visceral impact than the he400. 

Great, thank you!

I'll need to do my research on the Denon HPs.

So far the Philips Fidelio X1 seems the closer for purchase, need to check if I can find it locally to try it out first.
The Sennheiser Hd650 alas is unavailable locally so i have to rely on what I can find to read about it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 38
You will not get deeper bass than the HE-400, the HE-400 extends very well.  What you do want is more bass than the HE-400, and there are plenty of basshead headphones out there that provide that.  I think if you can get a pair of used Denon D5000 it will satisfy you a lot.  Do note that you will lose bass quality for the sake of bass quantity though.  You will not get the amount of bass you're after from a stock open headphone.

The simplest way would be just to EQ the HE-400 bass levels up.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #13 of 38
  MattCG is right.

If you want MORE bass, get the Sony mentioned above.

DO NOT GET BEATS unless you want mud instead of bass.

BEATS are overrated, I have tried them at the local store and was not impressed at all, bass is loud but there is a deference between a loud bass and a deep bass, also mids are too harsh with them !

The HE400 is far superior to them....Hell they are a benchmark to most headphones !

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 38
The price point that has recently been reduced makes the he400 a very compelling offering. A little EQ with some velour or modded pads and you've got a whole lotta fun for $300 NIB.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 38
  You will not get deeper bass than the HE-400, the HE-400 extends very well.  What you do want is more bass than the HE-400, and there are plenty of basshead headphones out there that provide that.  I think if you can get a pair of used Denon D5000 it will satisfy you a lot.  Do note that you will lose bass quality for the sake of bass quantity though.  You will not get the amount of bass you're after from a stock open headphone.

The simplest way would be just to EQ the HE-400 bass levels up.

Interesting and an advise that I'll hold close, alas the Achilles heel for the HE400 at least for me is that they are uncomfortable...
How is the X1 compared to the HE400 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back