help me choose comfortable closed headphones for long listening sessions <200$
Oct 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Buro11

New Head-Fier
Hello I am creating this thread after trying to find out which headphones to buy on my own but after few days I just gave up. There is too many options and I dont have enough knowledge on this matter to be able to decide on my own so I kindly ask you for a helping hand. Since I have some basic criteria that I want my new headphones to meet, I believe someone could be able to help me.

So what I want from my new headphones:

- closed (girlfriend sleeping every night in the same room and I really love listening to music at night)
- over ear (no on ear suggestions please)
- 100$ - 200$ budget - looking for best value for the money
- COMFORTABLE - I had to caps lock this since I currently own a pair of SteelSeries Siberia v2 which are very uncomfortable during longer listening sessions

The headphones I am considering so far:

Shure SRH 440
Shure SRH 840
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I was already decided for ath-m50 but then I read about them that they are uncomfortable during longer listening sessions and as I already tryed to explain, thats exactly what I want my new headphones to be able to do so comfort is something I really put a big marker on since I want to be able to wear them for hours without hurting my ears.

Please provide me with your feedback and help me decide which headphones would fit my needs. As far as the genres goes I listen to rap, dnb, dubstep. Thank you very much for your help, every feedback is appreciated.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 25
Lot of people like the Beyerdynamic DT770s for comfort because of the velour pads. I find them more comfortable than my M50s. But they do benefit from an amp.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 25
  So what I want from my new headphones:
- closed (girlfriend sleeping every night in the same room and I really love my music sessions at night)
- over ear (I really cant stand on ear headphones)
- 200$ budget but that doesnt mean I really want to spend 200$, I am looking for best value for the money so more like 50$-150$ budget but if another 50$ makes a big difference I can do it
- COMFORTABLE, sry I had to caps lock this since I currently own a pair of SteelSeries Siberia v2 which are very uncomfortable during longer listening sessions. They are making my ears hurt very much and thats the biggest reason I am looking for new headphones.
The headphones I am considering so far:
Koss PRO DJ 100
Shure SRH 440
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
I was already decided for ath-m50 but then I read about them that they are uncomfortable during longer sessions and as I already tryed to explain, comfort is something I really put a big marker on since I want to get rid of headphones hurting my ears.

Samson SR-950 closed headphones,$70, come with Velour ear pads.
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, $50, come with Velour (or Velvet) ear pads.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 25
Ok so lets see what you suggested:

ATH-WS99
Logitech UE 6000
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Samson SR950
Gemini HSR1000

All of you pointed out diferent headphones but there was one thing common in your recommandations - velour ear pads. I never heard about velour ear pads before so I guess when I am looking for comfort I should look for these pads. Any other suggestions that meets my criteria? Or can you anyone back up some of the suggestions these guys already made? Hard to choose when everyone suggested different headphones.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 25
Lot of people like the Beyerdynamic DT770s for comfort because of the velour pads. I find them more comfortable than my M50s. But they do benefit from an amp.

From all suggestions so far these looks best to me, but I forgot to mention that I dont have amp. Are DT770s more amp demanding or can I go with them without having an amp?

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 25
  From all suggestions so far these looks best to me, but I forgot to mention that I dont have amp. Are DT770s more amp demanding or can I go with them without having an amp?

DT770, If you have no plans on buying a headphone amplifier and do not plan on plugging them into a receiver, then getting the DT770 can be somewhat a wait of money, as their sound quality suffers without an amp.
What sources are you going to be plugging headphones into?

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 25
DT770 needs an amp.

what about 32 ohm version? not worth it without an amp? These looked like perfect headphones for my needs :frowning2:

DT770, If you have no plans on buying a headphone amplifier and do not plan on plugging them into a receiver, then getting the DT770 can be somewhat a wait of money, as their sound quality suffers without an amp.
What sources are you going to be plugging headphones into?

Supreme FX X-Fi - I know nothing about this thing, all I know it came up with my MAXIMUS III FORMULA board which I bought years ago

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 25
You could buy a fiio e11.

I don't here the 32 ohm one being recommended much. It could be good but I wouldn't take the chance.

I think the ws99 is better than the dt770, since the bass on the ws99 is more solid, and the midrange isnt recessed all

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 25

what about 32 ohm version? not worth it without an amp? These looked like perfect headphones for my needs :frowning2:

Supreme FX X-Fi - I know nothing about this thing, all I know it came up with my MAXIMUS III FORMULA board which I bought years ago

The 32-Ohm version of the DT770s still needs a little amping to sound it's best.

Your on-board "Supreme" audio is a Realtek audio processor using a few Creative Labs add-on programs.
So your using "Glorified" on-board audio. 

Still think the best value is the Samson or Gemini headphones and the Xonar DG sound card, and your total is under $100.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 25
So are you guys saying that with $100 - $200 budget together with good headphones I also need to get an amp/sound card? Isnt there any other option how to go without amp or sound card? I am just worried this will cause me more troubles because obviously plugging in headphones is easier then installing new sound card or amp and searching for them.

Your on-board "Supreme" audio is a Realtek audio processor using a few Creative Labs add-on programs.
So your using "Glorified" on-board audio. 

so this is nothing else then fancy called on-board soundcard? I hoped it will be at least little bit usefull so I wont have to look for new soundcard

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 25

Sound card or external DAC/amp would be recommended, as it usually makes the headphones sound better, but sound card or external amp not required.
Any sound card in the 32-Ohm to 80-Ohm range should work plugged straight into the motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back