Help me choose between Sennheiser and Audio Technica!
Jun 26, 2011 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Atriya

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be buying a pair of headphones, and have narrowed things down to two models:

1) Sennheiser HD 558, available in my country for the equivalent of USD 176
2) Audio Technica ATH-AD700, available in my country for the equivalent of USD 142

The Senn will be really stretching my budget (which is around USD 150) so I'd only want to get this if it's a big step-up from the AD700. On the other hand, the AD700 is overpriced in my country, since it's available in the USA for around USD 100 I think. Is it worth USD 142?

I understand that to recommend one of these for me, you need to know what I'll be using it for, so here goes:

What I listen to: Mainly classical music - usually solo piano and chamber music, sometimes piano concerti and symphonies. I also listen to soft rock and jazz occasionally. I will not be using the headphones for gaming or movies.

Audio source: I do not own a headphone amp, and will be plugging the headphone into my laptop. This laptop does not have a dedicated sound card - it uses onboard audio components (Intel HD Audio). I would like to listen on my mobile phone occasionally, but it is not a requirement that this should be possible. I use original audio CD's, or lossless rips of the same. I'm not above the occasional youtube-spree, but it's not a requirement that low-bitrate audio should sound good.

Recommendations for other headphones are welcome, but only the most common brands and models are available in my country.

I'd be grateful if someone here could help me out, since I'm having a lot of trouble choosing! Thanks!

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 23
ad700s are not for music as some people will tell you, and the 558, i don't know.... you may just want to get the 555s and make them 595s by simply removing a piece of foam

also, i talked with someone recently, apparently the ad700 is at the point where headphones get a diminished rate of return as you go up, so any headphones you get past the ad700 or the hd555 will not be BIG step up by any means, but i have not tried that many, so i can't say for sure

but i can say for sure that the ad700s work GREAT for classical music as i purchased them recently, pianos are great with these phones, sting instruments, drums, brass, all are just GREAT with these phones

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 23
AD700's are awesome for music. I have no idea what you're talking about. They were my first step into a very expensive future into hi-fi. They have a breath taking soundstage, are comfortable for hours, and are a great introduction into not only hi-fi headphones but also open dynamics which is something the layperson doesn't even know exsists. 

They're not for bassheads or anything, but they're very good all round headphones for anyone starting off. Like most of AT's large cans, they're great for classical and acoustic music… but they get the job done with most things. Also: VIDEO GAMES. 

It's like wearing 7.1 surround on your head, thanks to the sound stage.

AD700 or bust, my friend.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for the replies. However, could anyone post a short comparison between the two headphones I mentioned, particularly when used un-amped for classical music (more solo and chamber music than symphonies)? That would be very helpful. Thanks!

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 23
I haven't tried those Sennheiser headphones, but Audiotechnica is the classical music brand. The AD700's are a little bass anemic but the soundstage is simply wonderful and they're very comfortable and light. I highly reccomend them. They are an exteremly easy drive and don't need an amp to sound great.

If you're on a tight budget, I'm sure the quality isn't enough to justify any difference between the two headphones.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 23
If you are interested by audio technica brand, it seems that the ath-ad900 are better a choice, if you want something that fit all kind of music. The headphone seems to have lot of "praise" at the headphonic forum  , and they don't seem to lack as much bass as the ad700 (at least when I  look at the frequency response graphs). But Sennheiser seems to be a more popular brand, at least at head-fi.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like most of AT's large cans, they're great for classical and acoustic music… but they get the job done with most things.

that is all i was trying to say... they are GREAT for classical is another thing i said just GREAT

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 23
another thing i have been noticing is that although everyone says they lack in bass, which is true, but i don't get why everyone doesn't point out something else: if you want bass and have as many different mixers(i don't know if you would call them amps) as i do, it is quite easy to turn up the bass and get a thumping, satisfying bass, and if i turn it up too much the bass overpowers everything else, but i love to turn it up enough to get a thump against my ears

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 23
Yeah we were having this discussion in another thread. If you like bass, long story short, it's better to buy cans that foster a good bass response than the EQ it up. In general, open air dynamics have never seemed that great to me for bass. The closed back of say the M50's or Pro700'sjust helps more for that thump you're looking for.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 23
The ad700's simply lack impact. They cannot push air like other headphones can. You can adjust the equalizer but you won't give them much more impact. Now the ad700's can hit very low bass notes but you won't feel it.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 23
The Beyerdynamic DT660 highely phraised here for Classical genres and it's easy to drive.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT660 highely phraised here for Classical genres and it's easy to drive.

Easier than the 700's eh? I call for a 

SHOWDOWN OHMDOWN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back