Help me choose a High-End Headphone: HP1000, K1000, or Omega II?
Aug 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tamahome77

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to save up $$$ (will take a while) and looking towards making a high-end headphone purchase. I really like the grado sound signature. It's fast, airy, tight and has wonderful bass impact but I've been wondering lately how much better the HP1000/K1000/O2, with the right amp, are over the RS1/RS2. When I listen to the RS1, it's like magic to my ears and I can't possibly imagine how another pair of headphones can sound better than the RS1/MAD setup. I listen to all kinds of music except for heavy metal.
icon10.gif

I don't want to spend this much money on a pair of expensive high-end headphone and regret buying them later on. So, if you could just choose one of the 3 available, which one would you choose and if possible tell me why you would choose it over the other two. Thanks for looking.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 32
If your current system sounds like magic to your ears, I wouldn't be so fast to change it. At least don't sell your current system until you hear something you like better! The RS-1 is a unique sounding headphone so you won't find it in any of the headphones listed. The HP-1000 is most similar of course but with a much more nuetral response. The other cans you list will require a different amplifier from what you have now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to save up $$$ (will take a while) and looking towards making a high-end headphone purchase. I really like the grado sound signature. It's fast, airy, tight and has wonderful bass impact but I've been wondering lately how much better the HP1000/K1000/O2, with the right amp, are over the RS1/RS2. When I listen to the RS1, it's like magic to my ears and I can't possibly imagine how another pair of headphones can sound better than the RS1/MAD setup. I listen to all kinds of music except for heavy metal.
icon10.gif

I don't want to spend this much money on a pair of expensive high-end headphone and regret buying them later on. So, if you could just choose one of the 3 available, which one would you choose and if possible tell me why you would choose it over the other two. Thanks for looking.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 32
Canman's advice is good. Don't try and fix something that's not broken. The RS-1 has a different sonic signature than the HP-1000, but that does not necessarily make the HP-1000 better. I still have two RS-1's, but three HP-1000's have come and gone. The K-1000 would be the way to go for a wide, spacious soundstage, while the OII would be the way to go for detail and nuance. However, you can't simply just buy the latter two headphones. You're going to need amps that can get the performance that these headphones are capable of. Once you start down that road, hang onto your wallet. It's going to start bleeding. I kid you not.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

I don't want to spend this much money on a pair of expensive high-end headphone and regret buying them later on.

The only way that's going to be guaranteed NOT to happen is to attend a Head-Fi meet somewhere, and Demo the phones for yourself. Otherwise, it is always going to be a crap shoot.

But WOW, talk about comparing Apples to Oranges To Bananas!

Of those phones, the only amp you currently own that will work with your current gear are the HP-1000s. If you go the O2 or K-1000 route, be prepared to spend a significant amount of money on amplification in order to take advantage of what those phones are capable of doing. There are a couple of decent 'budget ' level amps that will work fine with the K-1000s, otherwise, be prepared to spend a significant amount of money building a rig around the O2s and the K-1000s.

With that said, I would vote for

Other: Grado PS-1.

smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 32
Not to mention that all three of those headphones need some high-level source component as well. Once you start down the road of ultra-high end headphones, there is no coming back.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 32
If you like the RS-1, I would consider the PS-1. It is like a better RS-1 with more detail, refinement and without the flaws IMHO

That being said, I prefer the HP-1000 to all but it sounds a bit different than the aggressive RS-1.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

When I listen to the RS1, it's like magic to my ears and I can't possibly imagine how another pair of headphones can sound better than the RS1/MAD setup.

As others have said, isn't this what we all want from our set-ups? If you've got what works for you don't go opening Pandora's Box in the quest for something that you don't need.

I'd pick O2 - I delight in the speed and detail of electrostatics - but I agree with Spritzer that there probably isn't an amp on earth that can truly drive them for all they're worth. So, as Hirsch warns, be prepared to have a constantly bleeding wallet.
lambda.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 32
"I'm planning to save up $$$ (will take a while) and looking towards making a high-end headphone purchase....I don't want to spend this much money on a pair of expensive high-end headphone and regret buying them later on."

Ha ! If you need to save to get one of these then forget it - leave Head-Fi and spend your money on something worthwhile. Otherwise, welcome and sorry for your wallet !

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a better amp for the RS-1. If you like something, build on it.

Both the K-1000 and the SR-007 need serious amplification and a good source/cables to match. It won't be cheap...

It doesn't get much better than the Mapletree/RS-1 without huge investments.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 32
I don't think the O2 and K1k presentations would make you any more happy without spending a serious amount to make them so.

Changing to another Grado is an option, be it HP-2, PS-1, or GS-1, but I'd try before you buy. A better amp would make more sense first up.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 32
I voted K1000, but like everyone else who has posted here, I've got to first acknowledge that I don't know your ears.

From what little you've said, I've got to agree with everyone who is saying that you seem happy with your system, so why change it at this point? If anything (as others have said also), you could improve what you're hearing now with a better amp (nothing against the MAD but there are better ones out there that won't cost you nearly as much as it would cost to properly ramp up with a K1000 or O2 system).

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 32
Before even considering any of those phones I would for sure get a new source. Using a soundcard (even a decent one such as what you have) as a source for phones such as Omega 2 and HP1000 would imo be completely ridiculous.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 32
Wow! Really informative input from everyone here.

Yes, I'm actually really happy with my current system. It's this "wondering if there's anything better out there" that's gotten me to my current system. I used to own the Sony E888LP earbuds and was content for 6 years. Never had any other earphones or headphones except the E888LP back then. Then, one night while enjoying my e888 on my sofa, I started to wonder if there's actually anything out there that would sound better than my sony earbuds. Started researching on google and one thing lead to another....lead me to head-fi.com. This was where it all began...
icon10.gif

The suggestion on improving my current system rather than getting a new one seems like a wise choice to choose unless I can get a really good deal on a pair of used HP1000 or PS1
tongue.gif
. So for the time being, I'll halt on buying a head-end headphone until I can get a chance to hear them at a meet. Really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back