Help me choose a CD player, my first one!
Jan 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #16 of 37
The DAC Magic is available for around 475$ locally, I'm buying it.

Now the CD player remains.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 37
Thinking of picking up used ones ? I guess getting it shipped from outside to India might be a problem right , customs ? Because a used Marantz SA8001 seems to going for affordable rates.

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm wanting everything in one, but it is possible to get SA-CD, CD changer and MP3 playback in one player for my mentioned budget?

I've never heard of such an animal.

What's left of your budget for the CD player?

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 37
play your MP 3 on your Ipod, skip the cd changer and sacd and buy this one....Price pages it'll probably stay with you until you hit the roof of DAC performance.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #23 of 37
If you listen to classical or jazz, then I would ignore the advice to skip SACDs. SACDs sound great, probably due to mastering and not bit rate, but who cares -- better sound than regualr CDs, no doubt.

With SACDs you have to use analog output to enjoy the full DSD resolution, so you need a good DAC in the unit. Sony, Denon, Marantz are known for this, Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha too, as you say, although for SACD I think the first three are generally more highly regarded.

A high-end used SACD player (as P. Peete and others say) would be my choice. An outboard DAC for regular CDs ... sure, since you already bought it!

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With SACDs you have to use analog output to enjoy the full DSD resolution, so you need a good DAC in the unit...

Just to reiterate wavomans point, SACDs are copy protected - so the digital transmission of the encoded signal is probably not possible. I think!!??!!

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to classical or jazz, then I would ignore the advice to skip SACDs. SACDs sound great, probably due to mastering and not bit rate, but who cares -- better sound than regualr CDs, no doubt.

With SACDs you have to use analog output to enjoy the full DSD resolution, so you need a good DAC in the unit. Sony, Denon, Marantz are known for this, Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha too, as you say, although for SACD I think the first three are generally more highly regarded.

A high-end used SACD player (as P. Peete and others say) would be my choice. An outboard DAC for regular CDs ... sure, since you already bought it!

Sorry. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a query based on this quote.

So, are you saying the full effect of the SACD can be enjoyed only with a player with inbuilt DAC which do not output digital data for SACD's (for ex. Marantz SA8001/8003) ? Or if I have a good external DAC unit and use a transport (Oppo BDP83 is what I was thinking of since its a universal player) which seems to be able to output the SACD into its digital out ..?

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a query based on this quote.

So, are you saying the full effect of the SACD can be enjoyed only with a player with inbuilt DAC which do not output digital data for SACD's (for ex. Marantz SA8001/8003) ? Or if I have a good external DAC unit and use a transport (Oppo BDP83 is what I was thinking of since its a universal player) which seems to be able to output the SACD into its digital out ..?

For the Oppo DSD can only output via HDMI to a sound receiver that can decode DSD.

Other players can output DSD via HDMI as well if I remember correctly.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #27 of 37
Yea, you need a DSD decoder somewhere. It's all about the Sony copy protection.

Oppo will downtranslate the SACD's DSD bitstream on the non-HDMI digital outputs (coax SPIDF, for example) to standard low-res LPCM. Older PS3's with SACD playback will give you 176.4, at least if you set them correctly (I use an external HDMI-to-SPDIF converter). Other units will give you 88.2 (like my Wadia SACD player).

176.4 ain't bad, it's an exact 8-to-1 decimation (should be "octamation") of true DSD, and it's the best bitstream I've been able to get from an SACD. But it's not true DSD!

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: Sony DVP-NC875V/B 5-Disc DVD/CD/SACD Changer, Black: Electronics

That's a nice player. But selling second hand. New ones seem tough to come by, did some searching, even froogle shows nothing.

thanks fatcat28037 - I would say I have around 250~300$ for the CD player. Giving less preference to SA-CD, since I am not a big fan of jazz
wink.gif
but would still like the disc changer and of course both co-ax and optical outs. BTW I am also considering that Yamaha
wink.gif
It is on my list with one from Sony, Denon and Onkyo. Just have to decide exactly how much I intend spending and fix on one option.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 37
I met up with an old friend this weekend and casually mentioned I was looking to upgrade my source. He said that when using an external DAC, the choice of CD player doesn't matter at all. An argument ensued and he ended up explaining (quite simply and logically really) that a CD being all 0s and 1s, it doesn't matter how you read it and with which laser and equipment, just that it gets read. I am not an electronics guy, so I couldn't reply, nor could I fault the logic. Is he right?

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #30 of 37
I have both DVPNC875 and CE595.
I would say CE595 is much better as transport.
The disc changer of DVPNC875 is much slower.

I personally hope your friend is correct.
But the transport as well as the digital connection do cause some audible difference. It may due to the lower jitter or some other magic.
However, as a budget player I care about the build quality first. I want a solid player without mechanic noises. The DAC and amp will make most of the sound signature, the marginal benefit of digital connection and transport quality will be less while you have a good DAC in house.

Quote:

That's a nice player. But selling second hand. New ones seem tough to come by, did some searching, even froogle shows nothing.

thanks fatcat28037 - I would say I have around 250~300$ for the CD player. Giving less preference to SA-CD, since I am not a big fan of jazz
wink.gif
but would still like the disc changer and of course both co-ax and optical outs. BTW I am also considering that Yamaha
wink.gif
It is on my list with one from Sony, Denon and Onkyo. Just have to decide exactly how much I intend spending and fix on one option.

Quote:

I met up with an old friend this weekend and casually mentioned I was looking to upgrade my source. He said that when using an external DAC, the choice of CD player doesn't matter at all. An argument ensued and he ended up explaining (quite simply and logically really) that a CD being all 0s and 1s, it doesn't matter how you read it and with which laser and equipment, just that it gets read. I am not an electronics guy, so I couldn't reply, nor could I fault the logic. Is he right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back