Help me become a audiophile - Portable Amps
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Midnightcoffee

New Head-Fier
[size=11pt]Greetings,[/size]

[size=11pt]I don't want to give the impression i haven't searched for answers, i have and i'm, but everyones circumstances are unique and i'm trying to gather some specific advice.[/size]

[size=11pt]I'm attempting to become a audiophile, by which i'm playfully saying someone who loves music and actual invests time and money in respecting it. I'm going to be posting in several forum threads in order to isolate the different aspects of this process but some common theme's will remain to each section.[/size]

[size=11pt]My music preferences are largely: trance with vocals and post hard core. I also listen to a lot of audio books (but i doubt that will change anything)[/size]
[size=11pt]My music listening time is:sitting,computer games,TV watching (a wireless option would allow this)driving, walking, running and intense exercise (punching/kick bags, down-ups, weight lifting, etc...) i’m largely mobile when i’m listening to music.[/size]
[size=11pt]My current equipment is my Droid X - I had hoped to keep this as my source player as i take a lot of phone calls through out the day.[/size]
[size=11pt]My current music library is mp3’s i downloaded from itunes.[/size]

[size=11pt]I had three solutions before i started to throw out this plea for help[/size]

[size=11pt]Solution A: Sleek Audio CT7 and their wireless adaptor then use a mic adaptor from monster.[/size]
[size=11pt]Solution B: Etyomatic HF2 + Sennhesier PMX 680[/size]
[size=11pt]Solution C: Fx-Sport (not yet out)[/size]

[size=11pt]My Budget for my process of becoming an audiophile is max 1,000-1,500. Which needs to encompass (i assume) a DAP (unless the community thinks my droid x is sufficient), portable amp (i assume...), and a pair of headphones or IEMs (i’m leaning towards iems or custom iems)[/size]

[size=11pt]So a general question common to all is what percentage of money should be devoted to what (DPA. amp, headphones/iem) to maximize my goals?[/size]

[size=11pt]Keep in mind that mobility is important to me :)[/size]

[size=11pt]So honestly i don’t know much about amps... but my basic question would be [/size]

[size=11pt]1. how much money to spend on a amp vs headphones and DPA [/size]
[size=11pt]2. Could they work with a wireless system (i’m sure some people are going to gasp at the concept)[/size]
[size=11pt]3. What amps should i consider? honestly i’m not even sure where to start until i get advice on the other two parts (DPA and headphones).[/size]

[size=11pt]Thanks a ton![/size]

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 6
1) Get lossless music. Either FLAC or ALAC (If you get an iPod).

2) Get great headphones-on ear or IEMs-in ear.

3) Amp, not really needed for most entry level headphones etc, though addictive to buy and want.

*Some sources that are popular. iPod touch 4G, Cowon J3, Clip+. (Maybe make a post in the portable source section).

*Decide whether you really want headphones/ in ears. And what kind of sound you want. (Maybe make a post in Portable headphones section).

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
1) Get lossless music. Either FLAC or ALAC (If you get an iPod).

2) Get great headphones-on ear or IEMs-in ear.

3) Amp, not really needed for most entry level headphones etc, though addictive to buy and want.

*Some sources that are popular. iPod touch 4G, Cowon J3, Clip+. (Maybe make a post in the portable source section).

*Decide whether you really want headphones/ in ears. And what kind of sound you want. (Maybe make a post in Portable headphones section).

I did post in the headphone section, i tried to explain that in my post but maybe i wasn't very clear :). Thanks for the info on the amp

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 6
In my opinion the fun of this hobby is the evolution your listening expierience goes through, if you do it all at once you really don't appreciate how much better the sound has become. I would keep your current source as you have said it is handy to take your calls, so start by concentrating on the headphones as no other component will come close to impacting the sound as much as the headphones, then after a while get an amp or a new source. By doing it this way you always have something to look forward to and also it lets you know what kind of sound you like so you can match components accordingly.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 6
I think your right, oddly i had a similar experience with my car. I bought a sporty car and was loving it but then the excitement sorta dwindled. Then i had the pleasure (or mishap) of having to drive an older car and was ... Wow my car is so amazing compared to this. It's rekindled my love of my car over again.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 6
"Audiophile" is a lofty goal.....and somtimessubjective. Audio is always what is percieved by the listener. Do you want a rig that anybody can strap on and say "wow" or do you want something you can strap on and say "wow". In your quest to get to that level money is always the driving factor. I myself have a lowfi approch and am satisfied with my sound. That being said an amp should be the last thing you should consider.....DAP and cans will be your first major expense. Get whatr sounds best TO YOU and try to buy from a source that has a liberal return policy. If you get something ypou don't like out of the box...give it a little time and then if you are not happy...send it back. Don't be afraid to buy things in the for sale forums because 99% of the folks selling are legit. We are a community and trust each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back