HELP! M50 vs Q40 vs HFI 780
Feb 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JonasLaksen

New Head-Fier
Good day Head-Fiers!

M-Audio Q40, ATH M50, Ultrasone HFI-780
I've read lots of reviews and threads about these three cans.

Which one do you think will be most appropiate for me?

I REALLY want:

Comfy cans
Clear sound
Good sounding cans un-amped from a ipod video (5th gen)

I want:

Good bass
Fun cans

I dont care about:

Size (they only have to be comfy)
How good they will sound with an amp, cos I'm not going to use one!
Other cans that are more expencive

Thank you for replying!

And please tell me if there are other cans in this price class that is superior in your oppinion :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 9
I dont have much experience with the q40's. 

The M50's have nice details and deep realistic bass...making it a fun headphone. 
On the other hand, i wouldn't consider as "Fun" the 780's.. as they are fatiguing due to the pronounced bass and highs.

People seem to like more the M50's for their comfort, 

Hope this helps. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 9
I like my bass too and the M50 bass just didn't have enough. There are several others like me in the same boat. If you want even stronger bass, look into the Phiaton MS400 or possibly HFI-580(more bass than 780).

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Yea, and be careful about how you analyze your poll results. The M50 is recommended to beginners sooo much. Lots of people have them and they might vote on your poll even though they haven't even heard the other two headphones. Not saying they're bad headphones, but just be weary of that.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 9
The M50's are good for the money. If you don't mind a little bit of recessed mids (vocals and other sounds similar in that frequency), i would suggest you get them. If that does matter to you, then i suggest you get the Ultrasone HFI 580 (i know it's not on your list, but it's similar/ better than the M50's in certain aspects). The mids/ vocals of the HFI 580 are forward. The HFI 580 had more bass impact than the M50's, but the M50's bass extended lower. It might due to the recessed mids, that the lower bass is heard more. I'm not saying that the M50's bass is superior to the HFI 580, or vice versa, i'm just saying the characteristics of it. I hope that helps you decide which to choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back