Help! Looking for help finding an AMP to fully power 250 ohm cans.
Jun 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hearthledger

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around at a lot of reviews and people say that the FioO E10 USB / DAC is probably one of the best buys and will power my headphones... That being said , will they in fact give enough power to the headphones to allow them to run at full potential?

I'm currently on a MacBook Pro with no modifications. Any other recommendations? Do I need a DAC or are the macbook pros capable enough to run them fine? If so what kind of amp will be able to fully power a 250 ohm headphone set?

I'm completely new to the amp world so explain things to me like I'm 5 or I might get lost!

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Which headphone are you using?

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearthledger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking around at a lot of reviews and people say that the FioO E10 USB / DAC is probably one of the best buys and will power my headphones... That being said , will they in fact give enough power to the headphones to allow them to run at full potential?
I'm currently on a MacBook Pro with no modifications. Any other recommendations? Do I need a DAC or are the macbook pros capable enough to run them fine? If so what kind of amp will be able to fully power a 250 ohm headphone set?
I'm completely new to the amp world so explain things to me like I'm 5 or I might get lost!

Would be nice to know the brand and model of these 250-Ohm headphones.

Apple products usually ship with at least half-way decent DACs.
(I'm guessing the E10's DAC is still better)
So if you wanted more "juice" for headphones, the Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier has slighty better amplification then the E10.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Jun 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Would be nice to know the brand and model of these 250-Ohm headphones.

Apple products usually ship with at least half-way decent DACs.
(I'm guessing the E10's DAC is still better)
So if you wanted more "juice" for headphones, the Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier has slighty better amplification then the E10.

Will the 10's still power it to its full potential?

And can both of these be powered while in use?

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Will the 10's still power it to its full potential?

And can both of these be powered while in use?

I would assume the E10 will do a fairly good job powering 250-Ohm headphone

I think your asking if can they (E10 & E11) be recharging while powering headphone, I know the E11 can not be used while recharging.
But it's only $13 for two extra batteries and a battery charger for the E11.
Not sure on the E10.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 11
My E11 can drive my 300 ohm 650s well enough, but will it drive to full potential, no of course not, but it will do a really nice job. I have heard that the E17 is a good amp/DAC combination. What are you trying to achieve, I mean are you trying to just get an okay enough sound within the confines of a tight budget or would you like to climb the food chain a little bit?

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 11
The Schiit Asgard ($249) is a very strong solid state performer, and if you feel like trying a not so tubey, tube amp the Schiit Valhalla ($349). There are many excellent choices for an amplifier, perhaps too many choices, however, those two pieces of Schiit are quite well respected components, made in the US and damn good looking to boot. Looking back I see you are also looking for a DAC/amp combination and that is outside of my experience becuase I don't do the computer audio thing (yet) as my CD player has a very nice DAC and is my source. If you have some budget available, either of those two amps paired with even an entry level DAC will be a huge step up from your Mac and you would have a solid amp to pair with a better DAC if you wanted to later. While I am not a DAC expert at all, I have read a great deal about them and you can quickly pass the point of diminishing returns so you don't need the baddest DAC to start with, a good amp and headphone would be more important at first in my opinion, certainly if your listening to compressed files on a computer. I hope a few others join in and give you their thoughts.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
 While I am not a DAC expert at all, I have read a great deal about them and you can quickly pass the point of diminishing returns so you don't need the baddest DAC to start with, a good amp and headphone would be more important at first in my opinion, certainly if your listening to compressed files on a computer. I hope a few others join in and give you their thoughts.

I'm new to headphones but as a lifelong very serious high end audiophile in home audio, the DAC is everything to the sound signature. The speaker itself is of course the most critical but the DAC design is a close second. It is what creates the analog tone you will hear through your speakers. Amps do effect sound but much much less than a the DAC. Be very concerned about your DAC choice. It can make or break the sound you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back