Help!!! Looking for first set of quality headphones
Aug 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bish1979

New Head-Fier
Ok,  so where to start. Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area (please be nice lol). I am looking to buy my first set of good quality headphones.  And I think I am at the point now where I have done way too much research in to which headphones to get.  My history with headphones is not extensive the last set I had were Sennheiser HD477 (which were crap hot compared to anything I had used prior to that - so not coming from great gear).  I also have a set of Sennheiser earphones for my iPod when out and about which are fine (but may get upgraded next time I fly). 

What I am looking to get are headphones that I can use at home mainly for music (Springsteen etc mainly in terms of style) but also for movies on my MBPro.  I have looked at things like the ATH-AD700 as from what I have read are very good all round headphones. 

My concern is that I may need closed phones as one of the places at home I like to listen to music is out on my balcony which is exposed to the road that runs around the bay here in Melbourne (1st floor apt so fairly close to the action).  In light of the need for more isolation from the cars, trucks & bikes) I have looked into the ATH-M50s and the AKG k271-MKII as it sounds like open phones will let in the car & truck noises (the road can get quite busy in bursts). 

My pref would be for velour earpads as it gets quite warm here in summer and feel i would sweat up a bit in pleather (i believe the term is) pads, this had been turning me off the M50s despite there reviews however I have found a mod thread here that looks to do the trick. 

Can anyone please help me in sorting out once and for all what I am best to look at?  Are the headphones I have been looking at the most suited to my needs or should I be looking elsewhere (in that price bracket)? I will most likely get a portable amp (maybe one from headroom) to go help my iPod and MBPro (so if i can escape with all this for around $300 i will be happy).

Thanks in advance,

Mark 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 6
M50 and put up with the pleather.  Use IEMs on hot days, there is no escape from the Aussie heat in summer outdoors with any can.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
M50 and put up with the pleather.  Use IEMs on hot days, there is no escape from the Aussie heat in summer outdoors with any can.

[size=medium]You mean the audio-technica cans? Well I'm sort of worried that they're more directed towards the bass department, and I've heard nothing but absolute praise about the Grados, are the AT ones better for my needs?[/size]

Thanks a load for the reply mate.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Springsteen sounds pretty mellow, you might want to try find some warm fun sounding headphones.
As you know Melbourne weather is just screwed and it'll be summer soon.. nothing will save us from the 40 degree days.
I've always found the SRH840 pads to be the comfiest but again they are bland sounding.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys for the extra info  :)  I am changing my thinking a little bit and going for something a more suited for rock.  From what I have seen the Alessandro MS1 seem to be some of the best kit for rock (which is what 90% of my music is).  So these are looking like the kit for me and I might save up for some serious IEMs down the track (maybe custom ones or something). 

Thanks again for the advice guys I will update once i get the MS1s and let everyone know what I think. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back