Help - KSC75 just blew my mind
Mar 8, 2006 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
So I recently sold off my beloved HD600 and ordered a HD595 in its place...unfortunately, shipping will take 2-4 weeks. In the meantime, I picked up a cheap KSC75 to tide me over.

I had another KSC75 in the past, and I thought it was a great budget headphone, but not nearly as good as a HD497, for example. At the time, I was running unamped, and the 497 sounded better at the same volume. It should be noted that the 497 has lower impedance and is much more sensitive.

Today, I plugged the brand new KSC75 into my fairly beefy 24V PIMETA, and was stunned by the sound quality.
eek.gif

These sound good - nothing extraordinary - from integrated headphone jacks on my computer, DAP, and PCDP.

But with an amp, they're really, really good. Punchy, well-defined bass, no muddiness, and fairly smooth treble. I had heard some graininess in my previous KSC75, which I don't detect now - my guess is that different batches of drivers have slightly different sound characteristics.

I played a bunch of orchestral recordings - usually the hardest genre to get right - and found them completely satisfying. The timbre of brass instruments, the snarling impact of tympani, it was all there. The only criticism would be that the strings sound a little bit hollow. Human voices, however, sound very realistic.

And to be quite honest, I don't really feel this is a big downgrade from the 600. Obviously the 600 is better, but the improvements from here to the 600 are all incremental. There's more smoothness, more detail and soundstage (although the KSC75 has impressive soundstage), better resonance damping, less harmonic distortion, etc., on a higher end model. But the KSC75 gets most things almost right.

The equipment I plugged this into cost around $400 - yet in no way does it feel like the $14 transducer is letting down the rest of the gear. And I have never heard such a significant change going from unamped to amped on any headphone. They sound okay with the PCDP, but brilliant with the PCDP line out + PIMETA.
eek.gif

And now I'm having doubts whether, with my college income, I can really justify spending $200 on a 595, 880, or something similar, when this performs at a level so close to those headphones. I might have to turn in my head-fi membership card now.
biggrin.gif
Should I save my money and cancel the order for the 595?

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 71
Where can I find these cans? I did not know Koss made anything that good lately besides the 35s.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Amazon, J&R, www.headphone.com, etc. These are supposedly less bassy, somewhat brighter than the KSC35.

Thanks. Wondering if AT makes anything close to these? I guess for the price the 75s are good.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 71
The shocking thing isn't that they do sound good (as surprising as that is). Its the level of amazement and surprise they repeatedly unleash upon doubtful headfi noobs and veterans alike. They excel in HUGE leaps and bounds in many ways, IMHO this tends to sugar coat their shortcomings and makes their defficiencies seem more tolerable.

Enjoy!! IMHO theyre the best $16 value in the entire audio/sound reproduction consumer industry.

Garrett

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 71
Jagorev, maybe you could hold off on the "big" Senns until graduation, as a sort of incentive. But that wouldn't be the Head-Fi way ...

As I've said elsewhere, I wanted to see/hear what all the fuss was about, so I ordered some Portapros. They arrived at the office today -- and I haven't even opened the box yet. Talk about not being the Head-Fi way ...

Of course I'll listen to them a bit tonight, but will some sort of burn-in help appreciably, or should I just let them burn in, in the course of whatever use they get?

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Of course I'll listen to them a bit tonight, but will some sort of burn-in help appreciably, or should I just let them burn in, in the course of whatever use they get?

Well, they sounded pretty good to me right out of the blister pack. I'll just enjoy the burn-in ride as it happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Well, they sounded pretty good to me right out of the blister pack. I'll just enjoy the burn-in ride as it happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

My first pair I did burn them in... but I dont really think it makes much difference at all. Every 60 ohm koss Ive had since then, I didn't bother.

My fave koss is really a parts mutt... Sportapro headband, KTX Pro1 drivers, KSC75 cable and KSC12 foam earpads. Combines all the different strengths and my personal preferences into one headphone. So cool!!

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
My fave koss is really a parts mutt... Sportapro headband, KTX Pro1 drivers, KSC75 cable and KSC12 foam earpads. Combines all the different strengths and my personal preferences into one headphone. So cool!!

For me, the magic of the KSC75 is partly due to it being a clipon. They hang next to your ear without exerting pressure, which creates a nice sense of airiness and space. This leads to impressive soundstage, tames the bass, and lets all the layers of the music shine through.

I just tried pushing them in by the clip, and it was a very different presentation. Much more front-row and in-your-head, with boomier bass.

I'd guess the headband style works better with rock, but the clipon airiness just kicks ass with my classical listening.

PS: We need a Koss smiley.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 71
The Koss KSC75 is the ONLY headphone that I've bought, since coming to head-fi, that has met and exceeded my expections!
biggrin.gif
They really do sound amazing! I am going to buy some for friends, so they can see that this hobby can be cheap.
very_evil_smiley.gif

P.S. The KSC75 only get better with the Kramer mods! (Cut hole in foam and drill more holes in grill)

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 71
Radio Shack has the KSC75 on sale until 3/18 for 14.99. Picked up mine today. Thanks to Drag0n for letting ME know.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel
Radio Shack has the KSC75 on sale until 3/18 for 14.99. Picked up mine today. Thanks to Drag0n for letting ME know.

Also available at Circuit City for a regular price of $19.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back