Help - KSC75 just blew my mind
Mar 9, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Crespo
Please tell me of a $16 phone that is better? If I'm not mistaken, the SR60, which I owned, is more than 4X the price of these and out of an Ipod, I don't think it stomps all over the 75's. For $16, they are THAT good IMO.

I already said that they are the best 16 dollar headphones.

While I know the sr-60's are 4 times the cost, the sr-60's are also only 50 dollars more: IMO they are noticibly better as a home headphone.

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #47 of 71
I don't think the KSC-75s improve much out of my Gilmore Lite. I'm listening to them right now straight out of my Zen Vision: M and I still think they sound great (even though I have to turn my ZVM up to 18-19/25 to get reasonable volume).

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #49 of 71
Time for a pair of Grados now, buddy! Get some 225's and flat pads and you'll be even more impressed than with the Koss's, I promise.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Time for a pair of Grados now, buddy! Get some 225's and flat pads and you'll be even more impressed than with the Koss's, I promise.

See, I'm not sure I'll like Grados because they're said to be so bright, I don't like bright headphones even though I listen to some fast paced rock/metal/etc. I still need to get to this store in Columbus, which is said to sell Grados and demo them.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032

Actually, I've tried the SR60, and it's pretty much the opposite of everything I like about the KSC75.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Actually, I've tried the SR60, and it's pretty much the opposite of everything I like about the KSC75.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
imo, the sr60 isn't so much better than the koss.

i expected a lot more out of the sr60, but it was not the case.

surprisingly how two ppl can have such a different opinion eh?
biggrin.gif

personally, i dun think the sr60 is that much better than the ksc75 either. with that said, I'd be happy with either but I'd be happier with the ksc75 since they are much cheaper.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #53 of 71
Thanks for the Radio Shack tip.

I've been looking for a pair to use at the gym with the NH-900 MiniDisc. Getting the clips to position where I like them can be a pain but hopefully we'll find ourselves agreeing soon.

The volume knob bouncing while on the treadmill takes some getting used to but it's really a plus with the MiniDisc. I can run "line out" and use the attenuator to adjust for my ears. The line out with the Digital Amp acutally sounds darn good and the 75's... Well goodness... $16!! I'm going to get a second pair while they're still on sale as I know I'll eventually destroy these.

They can handle the bass of live shows that I've recorded quite well without sounding muddy or overdriven decent balance and quite comfortable. They really shouldn't sound that good for that kind of money. Thanks for the tip!

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #54 of 71
Another 'thanks for the tip' post.

I've been undecided for a couple weeks about what new set of headphones to get. I was toying with Senn HD555/595 or maybe IEM with the Shure e3c, but couldn't make up my mind. I decided to run over to Radio Shack tonight and pick up a set of the KSC75's based on the recommendations on headfi as a hold-over until I decided what set of "real" cans to get.

I've been listening to Steely Dan's Gaucho on my laptop (CD not MP3...) through a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS and I can't believe how nice these sound for $15 + tax. To be clear, I don't have any experience with nice headphones having only owned a set of circumaural Aiwas and the infamous Bose Triport before... but I do have a nice surround speaker setup against which to benchmark.

So yeah I plan to pick up a few more pairs tomorrow to give to a couple friends and keep as a backup. I'll eventually get a set of the Senns as a home can but for laptop/iPod I think these Koss are a keeper.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
"Money spent since joining head-fi: $16"

LOL -- you're off to a great start! Flee now, and the record will be yours!

Welcome to Head-Fi ...

... we're sorry about your wallet.

If you don't want to see that spending rise, leave now, erase all the traces of this site and never come back ...
biggrin.gif

If not, don't say you weren't warned
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
If you don't want to see that spending rise, leave now, erase all the traces of this site and never come back ...
biggrin.gif

I'm not too worried about it... I've been a member of AVS forum for a year and that has been causing most of my wallet draining.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #58 of 71
Just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, I went to a local store and picked up a pair of headphones in the same price range. I wanted to see if the KSC75 really does sound better than a comparable cheap phone.

So I got these streetstyle headphones made by Maxell....I see them around campus a lot. They cost $12, about two dollars less then I paid for the KSC75.

Plugged them into my rig, and started laughing. I've heard of one note bass, but this was one note headphone.
tongue.gif
It sounded like a hamster farting heard through a shortwave radio. The KSC75 in comparison sounds like decent stereo speakers.

So I threw those Maxells in the trash, and went back to the KSC75. Hard to believe how the Koss sounds soo much better than this similarly-priced product.
eek.gif

And it's much better looking, too
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I've heard of one note bass, but this was one note headphone.
tongue.gif
It sounded like a hamster farting heard through a shortwave radio.

LOL - What a traumatizing experience!
orphsmile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #60 of 71
since comeing here I have pretty well determined what i like in a headphone...basicly if it says grado on it i like the sound

but i have decided that for the most part the KSC-75's are gonna be my portable can from now untill the grado streetstyle's hit stores

that should be an interesting match up

i think even more then the SR-60's the KSC-75's are a gateway drug...the only problem i see is they have to segway into the $200 range to retain the wow factor from newbies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back