Help - KSC75 just blew my mind
Mar 9, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger
Moon Audio sells several DIY Cardas replacement kits, starting @ $35 (and going up over $100 if you want the upper-level Dragons).

I am interested in this as well but can't find the kits on their website. What section are they in?

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #33 of 71
Okay, I just rediscovered the Koss graininess - it's only apparent when using the built-in amp on my PCDP or DAP. I don't know why, but the treble seems quite distorted and uneven from these weak sources, and the sound as a whole is cold. With the PIMETA, that treble goes from grainy to smooth, and everything seems to have a fuller body (which probably indicates that more treble and bass is coming through).

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #34 of 71
And I've come to a decision. I'm too much in love with the way these sound to spend 20 times as much for an upgrade. I'm not fixing something that isn't broken.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure upgraditis will strike in due course. Until it does, I'll be rocking out to the KSC75 and spending the money I had set aside on a CD buying spree.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #35 of 71
I bought the 75's for my girlfriend to use with her Nano and she promptly broke the ear clip, so now she's back to the Ibuds. I thought they sounded amazing when I heard them. How may I salvage these?

Michael

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Crespo
I bought the 75's for my girlfriend to use with her Nano and she promptly broke the ear clip, so now she's back to the Ibuds. I thought they sounded amazing when I heard them. How may I salvage these?

Michael

Are you sure she broke the earclip?

The earclip is made from wire coated with rubbery plastic. Not really possible to break, imho.

If the whole earclip just popped off the driver unit, that's not a problem. They're supposed to be detachable. Just push them back into the slot. You'll know that they've fit when you hear a click. You don't want to damage the driver, so be careful to hold it firmly by the edges in one hand while you push the earclip in.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #37 of 71
I just got my ksc75's in the mail today. After about 20 seconds with them I can tell you I'm not an earclip guy. Which is good, since I got these for my brother anyway.
wink.gif

Even without my glasses on they're uncomfortable for me, with them it's just incredibly awkward. They're too open for my tastes, I have to crank the volume to really listen to them. I guess they sound good, but meh, the 75's are just not for me. Oh well.

One other thing, they're much smaller than I expected them to be.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Are you sure she broke the earclip?

The earclip is made from wire coated with rubbery plastic. Not really possible to break, imho.

If the whole earclip just popped off the driver unit, that's not a problem. They're supposed to be detachable. Just push them back into the slot. You'll know that they've fit when you hear a click. You don't want to damage the driver, so be careful to hold it firmly by the edges in one hand while you push the earclip in.

Actually, she lost the earclip, it kept popping off and then she just lost it. The drivers are fine, though.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #39 of 71
Hate to break up the koss lovefest, but while they are GOOD for 16 dollars, IMO the sr-60's and up stomp all over them if you're looking for a fun sound.

That said, for that price, they are hard to beat =D It's just that these get hyped up way too much usually; they're good, but not THAT good.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Hate to break up the koss lovefest, but while they are GOOD for 16 dollars, IMO the sr-60's and up stomp all over them if you're looking for a fun sound.

That said, for that price, they are hard to beat =D It's just that these get hyped up way too much usually; they're good, but not THAT good.

Please tell me of a $16 phone that is better? If I'm not mistaken, the SR60, which I owned, is more than 4X the price of these and out of an Ipod, I don't think it stomps all over the 75's. For $16, they are THAT good IMO.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

You will need to contact Koss and see if they'll need to be sent in or if they could just send you a new clip. Their customer service is very good.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Actually, she lost the earclip, it kept popping off and then she just lost it. The drivers are fine, though.

Koss comes with a life-time warranty, and they'll replace the clip if you call their customer service. At worst, you'll have to send it in with a $6 money order. But maybe they'll just send you a replacement part.

As for the other point by markot86: I don't think anyone would deny that there are plenty of better headphones, including the SR60, HD555, HD580, MS1, DT770, DT880, etc., etc., ad infinitum. The point is how good these are, and how close they are to the more expensive phones, for the ridiculously low price.

If the value curve was linear from the KSC75 onwards, the MS1 or HD555 would cost around $40-50, and the HD600 or SR225 would be in the $100 range. Obviously, since these somewhat better headphones cost many magnitudes more, the rate of diminishing returns is pretty steep.

EDIT: And come to think of it, there are plenty of people for whom the MS1 or SR60 isn't much of an improvement at all. At least, my memory of head-fi threads confirms that plenty of others have experienced this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back