Help! K701 won't reach my ears!
Oct 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #31 of 48
@olblueyez: That's pretty interesting, but i would try to refrain from permanent modifications as of now; if i'm really left with no alternative i'll try that. Thanks much!
smily_headphones1.gif

@immtbiker: Yeah, i agree. The K701s simply aren't designed for people with big heads. Haha. Unfortunately, i love the sound.. A curse and a blessing at the same time
frown.gif

@rangkasa: I still haven't gotten a reply through PM/Email. Are there other avenues of communication where I could get a quicker response? I'm dying to modify(reversibly) these to get a proper fit. Thanks for your help!

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #32 of 48
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I just removed the white clips completely and it solved the problem. Of course I'll never be able to sell them but at least I can use them.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@immtbiker: Yeah, i agree. The K701s simply aren't designed for people with big heads. Haha. Unfortunately, i love the sound.. A curse and a blessing at the same time
frown.gif

I've always been surprised when reading about how people have fit issues with the K701. My head is about as big as they get. I had to special order helmets for football (when I was in high school) and racing more recently (for my Atom).

My head is an 8 1/4" monstrosity, yet I have no problem at all with the K701 fit. In fact, it's quite a comfortable fit. Thus, my theory is that the people who have wide heads (like me) won't have a problem with the K701 fit, but people with more narrow but taller heads will.

For the record, I didn't say pointy heads. I said narrow heads...
popcorn.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 48
I wonder if they addressed the problem with the 702's. It would make me an AKG customer once again.

image12118483ad1a2dff41.jpg

According to their site it says:

"The new K 702 headphones advance the legacy and sonic integrity of the successful K 701, are accompanied by personalized fitting ear pads, light weight and come in a sleek stage blue finish to withstand the wear and tear of professional studio life."

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My head is an 8 1/4" monstrosity, yet I have no problem at all with the K701 fit.

My motorcycle helmet is a 7 3/4.
This goes along with my theory (which also includes the fact that both you and Bozebuttons who both have heads equal to or bigger than mine, both had no problem with the Qualia 010 size "small" when I needed a "medium"), that it's not necessarily the size of your head, but where your ears are actually postioned on your head.
Maybe my ears, and others here who have expressed problems with the K701 fit, have ears that are actually positioned lower down on our craniums.

Might be something worth looking into.
confused.gif

Even my R-10's are maxxed out (adjustable headband touching the top hard headband part).

Also, AKG and I don't seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Their K1000's that don't usually bother most people, cut into my temples so badly that I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes even though I love their sound.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My motorcycle helmet is a 7 3/4.
This goes along with my theory (which also includes the fact that both you and Bozebuttons who both have heads equal to or bigger than mine, both had no problem with the Qualia 010 size "small" when I needed a "medium"), that it's not necessarily the size of your head, but where your ears are actually postioned on your head.
Maybe my ears, and others here who have expressed problems with the K701 fit, have ears that are actually positioned lower down on our craniums.

Might be something worth looking into.
confused.gif

Even my R-10's are maxxed out (adjustable headband touching the top hard headband part).

Also, AKG and I don't seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Their K1000's that don't usually bother most people, cut into my temples so badly that I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes even though I love their sound.

Your problem may have started with your first haircut after your hippie days... as in "I'm going to the barber shop to get my ears lowered." Where is that hippie pic when I need it?

The alternative theory is that you're one of those pointy head guys.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is that hippie pic when I need it?

22 years old and 128 lbs.

HippieDays.jpg

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

"The new K 702 headphones advance the legacy and sonic integrity of the successful K 701, are accompanied by personalized fitting ear pads, light weight and come in a sleek stage blue finish to withstand the wear and tear of professional studio life

."

I believe that was a fancy way of AKG saying that they have self-adjusting earpads, similar to the 701. Aside from color and cable, I can't detect any differences between the two models. I believe AKG would have incorporated specific changes into their copy.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I just removed the white clips completely and it solved the problem. Of course I'll never be able to sell them but at least I can use them.

So while removing them did you find a way of loosening the clamp so that i can move it upwards without damaging them? rangkasa still hasn't responding, so perhaps you could help
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a couple tie wraps and tie the white plastic slides to the top white stops. This is going to give you the most travel possible.

This was such a simple solution I an't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

TY

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly.

This the same conclusion I just came to while reading this thread and messing around with the various mods posed here.

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #43 of 48
Well I'll be dipped!

I've been complaining about the dayem nubs on the K701's headband for the entire three months I've owned them, and must've posted my complaints here at least 3 or 4 times in related subject threads. I kept wearing them, hoping to soften the leather, tried a myriad of different wearing positions, and even went as far as to try to soften the dayem nubs themselves (Don't ask)!

Then after reading Happy Camper's cable-tie fix, I grabbed some twist-ties from the nearby kitchen drawer, and secured the headstrap, via the plastic rail-riders, to it's highest position. By luck, the highest strap position just happens to be the perfect position to fit my head, just as if I was wearing a pair of step-adjustable strap cans (ala' Senn's) that I adjusted to suit myself.

And, Viola`! It turns out it wasn't the nubs that were the main irritation, but too much strap tension! I've worn them extensively for maybe 12 of the last 24 hrs and they're still not really bothering me much. No wonder so many peeps are giving polarized opinions as to whether the nubs are an irritation. It's strap tension dependant.

Well, anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it (while comfortably listening to my K701's).
k701smile.gif

*Addendum - FWIW, the nubs still are a minor irritation, but at least livable now

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So while removing them did you find a way of loosening the clamp so that i can move it upwards without damaging them? rangkasa still hasn't responding, so perhaps you could help
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

From what I saw, I think it would be nearly impossible to slide them up. They clamp so tight that the plastic on the curved frame "keys" into the white clamps. I don't see how you could pry the clamps far enough apart to get past these ridges without breaking them.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #45 of 48
Besides the fit, and I see that I am in the minority on this one, other than incredible amounts of detail, I don't really feel that these headphones sound as good as I wished they would. Modding them wouldn't be worth it for me.

The problem is, that in it's price range, we seem to be out of options to find another can worthy of the price, aside from the DT880's and the HD6XX which have their own issues.

BTW- I wrote a long detailed review for Tone Audio on these, right after they were released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back