Help! K701 won't reach my ears!
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
I tested out these cans today. I TOTALLY LOVE THE SOUND. The problem is, the headphones wont reach my ears! I'd have to pull them down for my ears to be centralised in the earpads, but that puts a lot of pressure in the headband. I noticed the two white clips that stop the headband from moving farther up (owners would know this) and I'm wondering if these can be adjusted upwards. If they can, I'd buy them immediately!

PS: I'd like to know if these cans pair well with a Darkvoice 337, which is the amp i use
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 48
This may help, please correct if there are better solutions!

1/ Flex the leather headband to soften it so it fit the head better;

2/ The transparent plastics inner sidepieces on mine broke which make the headphone very comfortable now lol.........

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 48
Hmm...

1) I dont think that would work; After pulling the headphones down all the way, the band is already exerting much pressure on my head, so simply softening it wouldn't work, I'd need to stretch it! (This wouldn't be possible on leather though, Haha)

2) Nah I doubt I'd want to break a brand new set of headphones, just in case I'd want to resell it
smily_headphones1.gif
Though this might be viable after the warranty runs out.. Haha.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help!

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 48
Take a couple tie wraps and tie the white plastic slides to the top white stops. This is going to give you the most travel possible. After that, wear the band slightly forward instead of on the crown of your head. That might get you what you need.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 48
Thanks for the tips! Shall try them out and update you when i get them soon! I dont think wearing them slightly forward will do, my forehead (or rather, the front of the top of the head) isn't any smaller than the crown of my head
frown.gif
Wish they made these headphones slightly bigger, they do look gorgeous.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tips! Shall try them out and update you when i get them soon! I dont think wearing them slightly forward will do, my forehead (or rather, the front of the top of the head) isn't any smaller than the crown of my head
frown.gif
Wish they made these headphones slightly bigger, they do look gorgeous.

As for the amp, I've not heard the DV337 but from the read in the thread, it pairs well with the 701s. Tubes are magic when powered properly and the 337 has power.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 48
Pardon me for my uninformed-ness, but what's a "current ax"? I managed to reserve some tung-sol 5998 power tubes which i heard are great for the dv337. Thanks for your help btw
smily_headphones1.gif
Now i'm looking for some Tungsol 6SJ7GTs which I heard from some people pair well with the 5998s. (I heard this combination is the best for the dv337)

Still, the headband is a more pressing issue; Love the headphones but can't make it fit properly without it being uncomfortable. Not entirely sure that the tie-wrap method would work (Haven't got access to the headphones to test them out), so would like more tips and potential solutions before i go ahead and purchase this. Thanks!

PS: Is the white clip that prevents the headband from going farther up not adjustable? Because it sure does look adjustable. Haha. Pity if its not.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 48
Sorry, misread the 337 thread. I thought a 12ax7 was used as a gain tube for the 337. It was for another amp the reviewer had. Disregard.

No, it does not adjust. I don't think the black elastic would go much past the stops.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 48
If you must have the K701 you could carefully pry apart and reserve the silver plastic rivets holding the leather headband and replace it with a short supple leather belt with lots of holes to make it very adjustable and use wingnuts to connect the belt to the phone. I had this problem so I came up with this solution but the K701 eventually loosened up enough so I didn't need to do this. Another irritant is those infernal lumps on the underside of the band pressing down on the top of your head. I put Bostic BluTac between those lumps and it solved this problem.

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Argh! I need a new head.. Or does anyone else have tips on how to make these excellent headphones fit a big head?

Can't help you with the new head - though it's a bummer about the K701 fit. I have two suggestions to be used in tandem.

First, use the Happy Camper fix to make sure the self-adjusting headband is at its widest setting, and disabling the band with twist ties at the top. Next, swivel the K701 back approximately ten or fifteen degrees so that the headband is not riding directly on the top of your head. You should have nearly unlimited clearance.

This solution has gotta work.
wink_face.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you must have the K701 you could carefully pry apart and reserve the silver plastic rivets holding the leather headband and replace it with a short supple leather belt with lots of holes to make it very adjustable and use wingnuts to connect the belt to the phone. I had this problem so I came up with this solution but the K701 eventually loosened up enough so I didn't need to do this. Another irritant is those infernal lumps on the underside of the band pressing down on the top of your head. I put Bostic BluTac between those lumps and it solved this problem.

Wow, that solution seems pretty extreme
smily_headphones1.gif
I might try it out if I have no other solution. Doesn't the blu-tac stick to your hair though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back