Help in choosing between Fiio e07k/09k or Fiio x3
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dennisksc90

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am looking to buy a dac to pair with my Philips Fidelio x1 but I am having trouble deciding between e07k/09k combo or just go for the x3 since they cost around the same. The device will be mainly for pc/laptop usage. Are they going to sound or work the same if paired with my headphone? How does x3 do if compare to e07k/09k coz I have heard a lot of good things on e07k/09k. I would like to hear your advice or suggestion. :)

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

You should also consider Schiit Modi/Magni.

Fiio E09K output impedance is aprox. 10 Ohm, not great for low impedance headphones like Fidelios X1 (30 Ohms)

On the other hand Schiit Magni's output impedance is rated less than 0,1 Ohm (great for low impedance headphones)

Best Luck!

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 13
  Thanks for your suggestion! I will definitely check them out. But if I were to choose between e07k/e09k and x3, which one would u recommend?

Between Fiio E07K/E09K and Fiio X3 (for desktop/laptop use with Philips Fidelio X1) I would pick Fiio E17.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 13
Fiio X3 is designed to be used on the go.

Fiio E09K is a powerful desktop amp for high impedance headphones (lets say over 100 Ohms)

Fiio E07K is a (USB) digital to analog converter and amp that's a very good match for low impedance headphones (although it can drive some high impedance headphones just fine)

Fiio E17 is a more refined version of Fiio E07K, same digital to analog converter but a more refined amp. Great match for low impedance headphones.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 13
Okay. Heard a lot of good things about e17 as well. I think my main question is, if use purely as dac, is x3 going to be as good as e07k. If it is, then i would just go for x3 coz i could use it as a DAP as well. But from your response if I interpreted it correctly, e17 is better than both of them as a dac? 

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 13
If you plan on doing any listening portably, the X3 has a beautiful sound to it and a decent amp section. If not, read up on the differences between the e07k and e17, and see if you feel the e17 justifies costing an extra 50 or so. Any of the 3 of those should be more than competent for listening to the X1.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 13
  Okay. Heard a lot of good things about e17 as well. I think my main question is, if use purely as dac, is x3 going to be as good as e07k. If it is, then i would just go for x3 coz i could use it as a DAP as well. But from your response if I interpreted it correctly, e17 is better than both of them as a dac? 

As far as I know Fiio X3, Fiio E07K, and Fiio E17 have the same DAC chip (Wolfson WM8740) so they will probably perform the same as digital to analog converters.

Using X3 purely as a DAC means using it paired with an external Amp. What amp are you planning to use in this case?

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 13
  haha I just made an assumption to compare them. But x3 has a build in amp right?

Yes!

Fiio X3 would be the best choice to be used on the go, while E17 to be used at home. As far as Fidelio X1 are open back headphones that don't provide any isolation I guess their use on the go could be limited. Anyway if you plan using them on the go, or if you like the idea of having a DAP, I have nothing against Fiio X3, I think both X3 and E17 are very good products that match your headphones very good.  You can also buy E17 to get the best sound quality at home, and use it as an amp with an ipod or smartphone on the go. 

Fiio offer too much products I guess! 
You can't go wrong with any of this products! Pull the trigger and enjoy!
k701smile.gif

Best Luck!

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 13
  I think I will go for the x3. I like the idea of having dac/dap in a single device. Thanks a lot for your advice and suggestion.

You're welcome! Nice pick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back