Help! I'm frozen between the Red Wine Isabellina HPA, and the Cavalli Liquid Fire
Oct 5, 2011 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Soned

100+ Head-Fier
With the upgrade to the Isabellina Pro  high-resolution playback (24/192k) the prices are very similar, and I seem to be buying mostly audiophile cd's these days,so that's an upgrade I would want.Frankly I would prefer a SS amp,so if you can suggest a solid state amp that is comparable (or better) than these two I'm all ears.My max spending amount is around 3 grand, give or take 5 hundred.My existing headphone inventory can be found in my profile.

Thanks in advance folks!

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Been in this same position before (but admittedly at a wayyyy smaller price tag)

You probably won't get many if any good responses that'll answer all your questions.  I eventually just went with what I felt met my needs better.

But you seemed to have already answered your own question, if you prefer a SS amp, then go with the Isabelina since the Cavalli is tube-a-licious

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 11
 The Isabelina has a tube stage also
confused_face(1).gif
 plus,I'm not sure I'm into the "organic battery" thang

I'm so confused
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
 The Isabelina has a tube stage also
confused_face(1).gif
 plus,I'm not sure I'm into the "organic battery" thang

I'm so confused
confused_face_2.gif

I thought the tube stage was for the DAC part?  Is this switchable like the LCD2 version?

I guess it makes little difference if it's for the DAC or AMP, but I think having a powerful battery to drive you headphones is a great idea, though I could imagine it's cumbersome when it's running low or if you want to listen while it's recharging.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Do you have a DAC?  The Isabellina HPA has one while the cavalli does not.  Also, if you want SS go with neither.  
Which headphones are you using? T1s like tubes (from what I have heard) but Denons work great on SS from my short time with them.  As far as SS goes, in that price range there is the 4 channel dual sigma B22 (anywhere between 2-3.5K depending on who you buy from.  Even cheaper DIY.) and the Headamp GS-X.  Some also enjoy Ray Samuels' Apache or newer Dark Star.  Apache goes for 1500-1750 on the for sale forums as of the last four months.

If I was between your two choices I'd go with Cavalli (currently changing my mind almost every day as to whether I go liquid fire or BA.  I've heard the BA and its astounding.)

Just a tip on Red Wine gear:  it consistently sells at 50-60% off on Audiogon in good to excellent condition (those Audiogon guys take way better care of their gear then a lot of head-fi users.) If you try and don't like, you take a significant hit in reselling it as well.  I have seen the LFP Isabellina HPA (don't know if had 24/192 but 24/96 is superior anyway) sell for 12-1300 on multiple occasions in 9/10 condition.  Some food for thought.  The liquid fire is in its upswing (new, more demand than there is a used supply, pretty good reviews) so a sale within the next few months would take a minimal hit.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
With the upgrade to the Isabellina Pro  high-resolution playback (24/192k) the prices are very similar, and I seem to be buying mostly audiophile cd's these days,so that's an upgrade I would want.Frankly I would prefer a SS amp,so if you can suggest a solid state amp that is comparable (or better) than these two I'm all ears.My max spending amount is around 3 grand, give or take 5 hundred.My existing headphone inventory can be found in my profile.

Thanks in advance folks!

Please Lord, let me swap my problems with the OP. I promise I'll stop visiting those other websites immediately.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 11
I've been sourcing directly from my OPPO BDP95 to my Graham solo 2 amp
I'm pretty ignorant to my DAC needs
confused_face.gif
, though I would like to have the new amp connect directly to my NAD T747 receiver
At this point of my headphone experience, I have more money than brains, hopefully the brain is catching up

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 11
I took the leap!

I just pre ordered the Liquid Fire, one of the last two for the October production run apparently

I just hope I don't get killed by duty fees when it enters Canada, but in my heart it's the one I really wanted
gs1000.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 11
You have a lot more options with that budget.

If you want tubes, get a Zana Deux. There's a good reason why even DIY'ers buy it. Add something like a used Benchmark DAC and you'll have a great setup.

If you want solid state, commission a three channel Beta22. You can afford it, and look through the Beta22 reviews. It is among the best out there. Add a good DAC and you won't be making any excuses.

If you want a T-amp, the Sonic Impact is about $30. You could put together an inexpensive battery pack for it if you want. Same with a tube buffer if you have to have a tube to color the sound.

I recommend separate components. It makes it easier to upgrade. Tube or solid state, get the best amp you can find. Buy the DAC separately. DACs seem to change chips, etc. every 18-24 months. Amps are a more stable product. A good amp will last for years. You're better off buying a great amp and upgrading the DAC every couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back