Help!!! I need headphones that are great for Dubstep and DnB!!! (Under $150 please)
Nov 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HyenaPrime

Head-Fier
I am looking for a great pair of headphones that can sound good with rap, dubstep, and DnB. Some parameters include:
  1. They need to be strictly under $150.
  2. I would like them to have clear sound quality.
  3. They need to have bass that keeps up with the fast pace of DnB.
  4. If they could also be comfortable, that would be great.
Here's are some examples of some of my music preferences:
  1. Dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxoh-oqqs1I (skip to 1:00)
  2. Drum and Bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnidjCCg54 (skip to 1:40)
  3. Hip Hop/Rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeH7woJ9rE (skip to any part)
Thank you for your time!

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
EDM is one area where Ultrasone headphones simply excel. Given your specified budget, look into the Ultrasone HFI-580 or Ultrasone DJ1 (DJ variant of the HFI-580), a set with emphasized bass along with a good degree of clarity and fast enough to handle all sorts of EDM you throw at them.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
EDM is one area where Ultrasone headphones simply excel. Given your specified budget, look into the Ultrasone HFI-580 or Ultrasone DJ1 (DJ variant of the HFI-580), a set with emphasized bass along with a good degree of clarity and fast enough to handle all sorts of EDM you throw at them.

So which is better, the HFI-580 or the DJ1?

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
So which is better, the HFI-580 or the DJ1?

They're basically the same set, with the same drivers, only slightly differently tuned, namely the DJ1 having higher SPL (104dB) than the HFI-580 (101dB). Also, the HFI-580 comes with a straight cable while the DJ1 comes with a coiled cable.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 13
I think the dj1 headphones are my choice.
It met all my criteria.
By the way, what's SPL?

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I haven't heard of M-Audio yet. How is their reputation?

They are a highly respected audio company that makes awesome speakers for mixing studios.  Big players in the audio game and this was one of their first headphones.  Look for reviews on this site.  Bass oriented, but still fantastic in other areas of the spectrum as well.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I think the dj1 headphones are my choice.
I can't stand super lengthy cables.
By the way, what's SPL?

Well, it sound pressure level, and basically means how loud it can go.

Also, are you plugging headphones to a computer, media player, what? And do you have or plan on getting a headphone amp? Do note that the DJ1 don't need a headphone amp to sound good, but can get slightly more refined with additional amping.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 13
I am plugging the dj1s into a portable media player and I am not planning on buying an amp. Is that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back