help (grado rs1)
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

khazar

New Head-Fier
Hi, I bought a pair of grado RS1 (the button model) used, but unluckly, i received it broke (the volume in the left driver is halved compared to the right driver). The person that sold it don't want to repay me so i contacted the warranty service. The italian customer service (nb: i'm italian) hovewer request 400 euro (yes this is not an error) to repair my grado. That price, compared to the american warranty service that request 100$, is ruinous. Alas i don't have an american friend to which i can ask the favour to send the cans at the american warranty service, so i thought that the only solution that i have is to sell the grado, albeit reluctantly. How much i can request, considering that these cans are broken?

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't know anything about the Italian legal system, but can't you sue the seller for delivering a defective product?

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Alas is the Grado USA that addressed to the italian customer service (@aizura).
i can't sue the seller because i can't prove that the grado are already broke. The seller say that the italian postal service broke the cans, so i can do nothing. I can't sue also the postal service because tha packet wasn't insured (@TheGhostWhoWalks )

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Raise a complaint with ebay, if they don't do anything then bring the charge up with your credit card company. You should not get stuck with the defective product. Not all sellers are evil, sorry that you got stuck with a lemon.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Ebay should step up since it is an item purchased through its service.  At the very least, you can bring a complaint against this seller, which will immediately affect the seller's approval rating.

The safest choice is to send them to Grado in America and pay whatever Grado charges.  The stories of Grado's outstanding customer service are as common as those complaining of Grado's "workmanship," mostly discontent with surface scratches, splotchy gluing and gimbals becoming loose or disconnected.  Hand-made headphones often come with little imperfections but none have ever affected my enjoyment of new Grado cans.

Reading what little you wrote about the problem, I'm skeptical that there's anything fundamentally wrong with your headphones.  There are a number of reasons you would get an output difference in one of the drivers.  I'm equally skeptical of the "misshapen" diaphragm issue.  A misshapen diaphragm would be fairly easy to detect, especially on a hand-made $700 RS1.  You could have a dislocated voice coil or short-circuit in the wiring.  Your driver could have been affected by a change in humidity or simply a wrinkle in the diaphragm causing it to produce the infamous "Grado grattle."

Whatever the case, if no one else will help you, I will.  I'm finishing a project right now, but by the time your headphones got to Florida, I should be free for a new adventure.  I've owned most of the Grado models - including the RS1 - and have experience taking them apart and reassembling them.  If Grado doesn't help you out (a pretty big "if"), look me up and I'll do what I can for you - free of charge.  All I ask is that you pay for shipping (both ways) and that you sing my praises when I'm done.

Maybe you could name your next kid, "Bilavideo."

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow a lot of reply
bigsmile_face.gif
. I am trying to do something through ebay, but i don't entrust to much. In the meanwhile i contacted again the grado labs to report that the price request by the italian customer service is absurd and to ask to send my grado to them (grado labs usa). In any case thank you for your help bilavideo, if i need help i will contact you
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back