HELP. Girlfriend rejects new iPod Nano!!!
Sep 18, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #31 of 71
ANOTHER vote, Meizu product, M3 or M6. Damn worth checking out IMO.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #32 of 71
Get her a 160 GB classic and all will be forgiven.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #38 of 71
If she really likes her nano as it is now, there's no point in trying to replace it with something IMO. Maybe some IEMs are in store? Obviously aesthetics are important to her and really there aren't any products that have the clean, contemporary look ipods have. Sure meizus and cowons are sleek, but can you really call their design just as simple and straightforward as the ipod nanos? Plus she already has her iTunes set up the way she likes.

I say either IEMs, or even better, something NOT related to electronics! Maybe some nice earrings or a necklace with her birthstone? There is a broad range of things you can get for the cost of a nano. Not all jewelery is expensive and it certainly lasts longer than the time it takes for the next ipod fad to occur.

For my girl, birthdays and anniversaries, I always buy something that will last at least a few years. Electronics and toys I give at christmas because their "coolness" longevity is very poor and Christmas doesn't have as much of a personal meaning to us as birthdays etc.

Now I may be wrong about your relationship with your gal - you're the only one who knows for sure - but while it's certainly cool and meaningful for us guys to get gear, it may not be the same for girls. I know my girlfriend feels electronics and such are "fun" things that you would want but not something with deep, long lasting meaning.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If she really likes her nano as it is now, there's no point in trying to replace it with something IMO. Maybe some IEMs are in store? Obviously aesthetics are important to her and really there aren't any products that have the clean, contemporary look ipods have. Sure meizus and cowons are sleek, but can you really call their design just as simple and straightforward as the ipod nanos? Plus she already has her iTunes set up the way she likes.

I say either IEMs, or even better, something NOT related to electronics! Maybe some nice earrings or a necklace with her birthstone? There is a broad range of things you can get for the cost of a nano. Not all jewelery is expensive and it certainly lasts longer than the time it takes for the next ipod fad to occur.

For my girl, birthdays and anniversaries, I always buy something that will last at least a few years. Electronics and toys I give at christmas because their "coolness" longevity is very poor and Christmas doesn't have as much of a personal meaning to us as birthdays etc.

Now I may be wrong about your relationship with your gal - you're the only one who knows for sure - but while it's certainly cool and meaningful for us guys to get gear, it may not be the same for girls. I know my girlfriend feels electronics and such are "fun" things that you would want but not something with deep, long lasting meaning.

Excellent advice!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awesome advice, follow it!

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #42 of 71
Okay, the results are in!
I took her to the local Apple Centre to look at the new Nano, and she still couldn't stand the sight of it. (I myself, being the gadgetfreak I am, was almost drooling at the crisp screen and slick interface, but alas, I am not buying for myself).

I took the advice many of you guys gave, and bought her a nice pair of pretty Audio-Technica earbuds in white. I found a new 1st Gen Nano on the local Yahoo Auctions, but the dude refuses to reply to enquiries. She has 8000 songs in her iTunes, all organized and tagged, so I might actually end up getting her a 5.5G video, which is still widely available. (Thought the Clix 2 is very tempting.)

When I get the player, I'm going to the local craft store, and making her a swanky box (velvet lined etc), to the best of my mediocre craft skills, and I'll pack the player + buds in with feathers and/or rose petals... I'll see what works.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will post pics after the labour of love is complete!
Thanks very very much to all of you guys + girls for the advice. I am indebted to you!
gs1000.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #43 of 71
Sounds like a good plan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back