Help getting first turntable
Jan 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Leiker535

Head-Fier

So, I always wanted to have a turntable and vinyl's, not just for their superiority in audio quality(for analog mastered songs), it's for the pleasure of getting a vinyl album and listening to it seeing that huge album art as well. My budget is around U$400~600, I know I won't get a VIP classic for that price but I don't think I'll need it, I'm not a DJ, I just wanna listen to vinyls with a little quality ;p.

I've been looking forward to the Rega RP1 and Technics stuff, but if I get technics stuff it will have to be used so I guess I'll stick to the rega's, what do you guys recommend?

Also, I wanna ask if there is a big difference between those Audio Technica and Ion $100 turntable's and the Rega, Megarantz and Technics stuff, because here in Brazil we just have these options for national shopping.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't think you'd even need 400$ if you're willing to go with a used TT.

The setup I'm currently using consists of a well-kept Technics SL-D2 (50$ used), that might not be very good looking but functional and of quite high quality.

I found the Sumiko Pearl cartridge (100$) to work exceptionally well with my system. Good vinyl sounds as great as my Vincent CD-S2!

And it's certainly no shame to get a used TT. Those often deliver lots more than cheap new ones. Old belt drives can get finicky though sometimes (but with the SL-D2 you won't have that problem since it's a direct drive)

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 22
Take a look here:

Rega RP-1 Review:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-rp-1-record-player-page-2

Pro-Ject Debut III Review
http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player/index.html

Both are affordable and great sounding.

Just be to research which needs a pre-amp.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for the recommendations. I would like to ask you about the pre-amplifier fact, I can use any headphone amplifiers that I may have in home? Or I would have to buy another one, in this case, what do you guys recommend?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 22
I would definatly go for a vintage setup if you have the space for it. For $500 you could what was a top of the line turntable in the 70s and a good receiver. For $200 I got a Dual 1209 table and Sherwood receiver.
From various forums that I've read through it sounds like the modern tables really aren't worth it until you get to the higher end models. The problem with going vintage is that it can be difficult to find not only a table in good working order but someone who knows how to ship it. I was lucky enough to catch a deal on the table at a local shop that was closing its doors.

The Duals are pretty noob friendly, as they run full automatic, have speed selector switches, and pitch adjustment and all that kind of stuff. If you can't find something good on ebay or don't want to take the gamble check out the site fixmydual.com
Bill who owns the site quoted me $400 for a fully restored Dual 1219 with a brand new dustcover and plinth.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I would definatly go for a vintage setup if you have the space for it. For $500 you could what was a top of the line turntable in the 70s and a good receiver. For $200 I got a Dual 1209 table and Sherwood receiver.
From various forums that I've read through it sounds like the modern tables really aren't worth it until you get to the higher end models. The problem with going vintage is that it can be difficult to find not only a table in good working order but someone who knows how to ship it. I was lucky enough to catch a deal on the table at a local shop that was closing its doors.
The Duals are pretty noob friendly, as they run full automatic, have speed selector switches, and pitch adjustment and all that kind of stuff. If you can't find something good on ebay or don't want to take the gamble check out the site fixmydual.com
Bill who owns the site quoted me $400 for a fully restored Dual 1219 with a brand new dustcover and plinth.

I would LOVE to get my hands in a vintage setup, actually my uncle have one, it's broken thought and have sentimental value(my grandpa gave it to him :frowning2: ) so I wouldn't have the guts to buy it from him. But the problem that you already have said its the shipping, import a receiver is almost impossible without paying taxes that reaches U$1000, here the federal police doesnt care the real value of the product, they just put the value that they think the product cost.

I've been searching here in Brazil and I found this with a good price:
http://www.amazon.com/New-USB-Turntable-Direct---CD-Recording/dp/B0051E007I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326909195&sr=8-2

Does anyone know this brand or it's quality?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 22
Try calling a local place that still sells records, most likely a DJ store, and ask if they can recommend a place where you could find a used deck. Most of the people who still deal in used records are unusually good at sourcing hard to find things and rarities.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 22
Don't bother with USB turntables or turntables with built in phono pre amps, almost all of them are implemented poorly and the extra technology added in doesn't justify the price. If you're looking at modern turntables, the Rega and Pro-Ject tables mentioned above are good deals. You can even look into older Rega models like the Planar 3, a fantastic table for the price they usually go for (400-500 USD), make sure to get one with the RB300 tonearm if you go this route, it's amazing.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 22
Get a Twelve-hundred. Technics SL-1200. Any one from MK2 up, though from the MK4 up is better for higher quality interconnect and removable RCA's. A good turntable to start with, and low maintenance. + if you do need to change or upgrade parts, it won't be too hard or too costly since it's such a popular model.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Try calling a local place that still sells records, most likely a DJ store, and ask if they can recommend a place where you could find a used deck. Most of the people who still deal in used records are unusually good at sourcing hard to find things and rarities.

Thanks for the tip, I know many local stores, I will give them a try :wink:

Quote:
Don't bother with USB turntables or turntables with built in phono pre amps, almost all of them are implemented poorly and the extra technology added in doesn't justify the price. If you're looking at modern turntables, the Rega and Pro-Ject tables mentioned above are good deals. You can even look into older Rega models like the Planar 3, a fantastic table for the price they usually go for (400-500 USD), make sure to get one with the RB300 tonearm if you go this route, it's amazing.

Yeah, I suspected this. In most famous eletronics stores here in Brazil like Fnac, you just find retro turntables or all-in-one U$100 turntables. But the difference is that big? Also I'm interested in the Shure M97xE phono cartidge, have you ever tried it?

Looking forward to the Rega's again, think the RP1 would be the best for me, and for the fono preamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-640P-B-Phono-Preamp/dp/B00106E67G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326910384&sr=1-1

But I'll still search for more options here in Brazil(I'm eager to buy a vintage setup :p), thanks for the help guys.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 22
The Music Hall MMF2.2 is a pretty good value as well. And right up there with the Rega. 

Whatever Turntable you go with, A basic phono stage pre-amp would let you plug into any headphone amp (or regular amp that doesn't have a built in phono in).  

Possibilities:
Phono pre-amp from Pro-Ject for another $160 
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/2889/87409.html <-- looks promising, and offers you a USB output as well (so you can make digital copies of rare vinyl to listen to on your mp3 player later). 

Or the Music Fidelity V-LPS II (no USB tho)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_778VLPSII/Musical-Fidelity-V-LPS-II.html?tp=204

On more of a budget, Technolink also makes a good one for @$75 (no USB)
http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html

Vintage - keep an eye out for Dual turntables. They are built like tanks. I have a 1019 from the late 60s that still runs like a champ. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Well guys, turns out that I've been talking to my uncle about this and what he would recommend, and he said "One of the best turntables that I've ever seen is the TT 1200mk2" so I explained It would be expansive and I would have to get a used one an then he gives me this "Ok no problem, I see that you don't want a turntable just to impress the others, you want to listen to music. Ok I'll give you mine".

Well, I could not ask for a better present for my bday 
beyersmile.png
, but I'll still need an phono pre-amp, so I'll get an USB one, cause I have a lot of money to spend on it now :p, and maybe, a HD650 or a hi-fi DAC. But speaking about pre-amps, does anyone recommend this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-640P-B-Phono-Preamp/dp/B00106E67G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326910384&sr=1-1

Saw it in a vinyl forum and I'm think I'm love with him, but the pro-ject is real nice too.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 22
I've never used (or heard) the Cambridge phono stages, but I like much of their gear in general. I'd probably trust it to be fine. NAD used to make a pretty good budget one (PP2 - might be PP3 by now). 

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 22
A Twelve-hundred, I told you! You now own what has become a classic and that was still in production until very recently. Perfect, congrats; you will enjoy this turntable a lot, I'm sure.

On the Cambridge Audio phono pre-amp, I concur to say that I think you'd be safe to acquire it; I was considering buying it myself, as a gift for my parents' set-up (I swapped their old turntable system with built-in preamp with a Technics DD TT).

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 22
Congratulations on the 1200 mk2 Leiker535, you lucked out there!

Regarding the Cambridge Audio Azure 640p, I use one of these in my setup (Rega RP3) and I've been very pleased with it. There are ton of positive reviews on the 640, all saying what a great phono stage it is for the money - I think it would be a good pairing with the 1200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back