Help for budget headphone+soundcard combination.
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

abcabcabc339

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying the Philips Uptown headphones. 'Heard they were pretty good (sonically), and comfort is a big deal to me. I'm also planning on buying a PCIe sound card, but I have no clue in that area.

So, can you recommend a sound card for that headphone? I'm not sure what my price range should be, so recommend a sound card that the headphones will not bottle-neck and vice versa.

If you think there is another pair of headphones that is a better value, you are probably right b/c I'm not an audiophile. I'm not a sheep though, listening to 300$ bleats with itunes music.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I'm planning on buying the Philips Uptown headphones. 'Heard they were pretty good (sonically), and comfort is a big deal to me. I'm also planning on buying a PCIe sound card, but I have no clue in that area.

So, can you recommend a sound card for that headphone? I'm not sure what my price range should be, so recommend a sound card that the headphones will not bottle-neck and vice versa.

If you think there is another pair of headphones that is a better value, you are probably right b/c I'm not an audiophile. I'm not a sheep though, listening to 300$ bleats with itunes music.

Heya,

The cord on the Uptowns is very, very short. Hope you have extensions. Or something. Honestly I would not get the Uptowns. Having two pairs myself, the cord is just a deal breaker. But that's another story. I would instead look at other headphones (Beyer DT770, AKG K167, Audiotechnica A900X).

Why a sound card? Why not get an external USB DAC/AMP? It's the same thing, but without having to put it in your computer, and it can travel around with you and doesn't need a bunch of gimmicky software and stuff. Look at a simple Fiio E10.

Very best,

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Heya,

The cord on the Uptowns is very, very short. Hope you have extensions. Or something. Honestly I would not get the Uptowns. Having two pairs myself, the cord is just a deal breaker. But that's another story. I would instead look at other headphones (Beyer DT770, AKG K167, Audiotechnica A900X).

Auditioning the Uptowns now, and curious about your remark about the cable. It's length is fine for me (same length as the cable on all of my other phones/iem's). I don't like that it is similar to the Sony mh1c's diabolical cable, but it doesn't seem to bother me with these phones. Why is it a deal breaker for you? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back