Help for a fellow basshead?
Sep 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ThunderBass

New Head-Fier
I have done a lot of looking around on these forums and finally decided to make an account. I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones
that will allow me to pump out as much bass as possible since my entire ipod is filled with almost entirely dubstep but I do have some some trance and a few other electronic genres. I bought a pair of ath-m50s and like them a lot of un-amped usage on the go but I am now looking into getting a portable amp and another pair of headphones to go with it. (I don't really care how portable the headphones are, in my mind the bigger the better...) What is the best setup I can get for under 500$ that will suit my music needs. I like good sq but if my skull is shaking I don't really mind if the rest of the music is a little off due to the bass. Thanks in advance - Nick

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you ever thought about getting a speaker setup w/ a subwoofer?

But anyways, the Beyer DT770 is a good choice, or, for a big savings, the Sony XB500 or XB700.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't know if you'll find anything better than the m50 for that... its got a great
mix of bass with SQ thrown in.

That being said, the sony XB series does push out a ton of bass. Don't expect
great sq, however.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Sony XB500 will pump your head with bass literally even unamped from MP3 player I was quite satisfied (I'm a very spoiled basshead that abuses EQ) and they sound really great for the price as long as you have access to an EQ. I know it only costs $50 but I liked it more than ATH-M50 (highs a bit too shrilly sounding for my liking and slightly too weak bass) and Beyer DT770 Pro/80 (mid-bass punch lack and mids slightly recessed) and not only cuz of the bass but great sounding mids and smooth highs (you'll need EQ to "unsmoothalize" the overall sound for better clarity for best result though). They have the aggressive in-your-face type of presentation that fits good with your type of music.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks everyone for helping me out, I'm probably going to get a pair of xb500 or 700s in the short term for commuting to college and when I'm ready for a nicer pair I'll definitely upgrade to the dt770 pro 80s, and when I get a job I'll get the Denon ah-d5000s. >_< as for a portable amp that helps with bass output or overall sound quality for the pro 80s, any recommendations? and how do the dt990s compare with bass output? Thanks again for all of the fast and helpful posts.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 13
The 990s specialize in mid to upper bass.  The bass is very tight and goes reasonably deep.  They respond very well to EQ as well.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 13
I highly recommend a sony mp3 player, A or X series with the " clear bass" option in equilizer paired with a SR80i. I fall into the bass heaven every time cracked my A818 clear bass to 3 (the highest) from the sr80i. I feel the music is more enjoyable than my major HD650 rig.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
The Cowon players have a similar feature called Mach3 Bass.  I like it a lot, but I don't know how it compares with the sony though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back