Help fixing HD 238 plug
Nov 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jasgre2000

New Head-Fier
I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 238s over a year ago.  I really liked them a lot.  Unfortunately, while using them on a plane I accidently bent the plug and it broke.  I figured I could replace it with a plug from Radioshack and a soldering iron.  I have tried a couple times now and have had no success.  The wires on the HD 238s are very thin and coated with lacquer.  I tried to melt it off with solder, but it didn't work.  I would really like to fix them.  Has anyone here replaced a plug on the HD 238s?  Any suggestions on how to get the lacquer off?  I tried to solder them to the plug without removing the lacquer and they wouldn't work.  Any other suggestions on how to fix these?

Also, is it a good idea to get a better plug than just the generic one from Radioshack?  If so, any suggestions for a reasonably priced one? 

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Did you try using the soldering iron itself to melt off the lacquer?  If that doesn't work, use a lighter.

Either way, after getting it off do your best to remove any more gunk with a cloth or preferably sandpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back