Help Finding New “Fun” Sounding Headphone
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FutureSelf

New Head-Fier
Hello, my name is Scott and I’m new to this whole world of audio equipment which seems a bit overwhelming to be honest. I’m just someone who’s looking for better audio quality from portable equipment.

I recently bought a Chord Mojo to enhance my listening experience from my iPhone 8. I currently own the AT-50’s & HD6XX’s. The Sennheiser’s are to laid back for my taste I prefer more of a non neutral ”fun” sounding headphone I believe. I think I’m looking for more of a U shape or V shape headphone?

I’m looking for a headphone that has good bass, good treble along with good detail and a good soundstage if possible but not necessary. The headphone will need to have a 3.5mm connection to plug into the Mojo. I’ll be listening in private so open back headphones will be ok for me but I’m also open to a closed back if it better suits what I’m looking for.

My budget is $1000 and prefer to buy something new vs used. I’ve seen a lot of recommendations from people who claim certain headphones are worth a lot more than they cost. If something that cost $500 is close to as good as something that’s $1,000 I’m all for that to save money if there isn’t a big difference in the quality of sound.

One of those headphones that’s been hyped recently is the SendyAudio Aiva Black Beauty Series. People are claiming it’s worth well over its cost. Would this headphone be something that would fit what I’m looking for? I’m open to any brand I have no preference but I’ve heard the Sendy’s are extremely well made. I’ve heard good things about planar headphones and sounds like they might be something I’m looking for.

Any help in my selection would be very welcome.

Thank you

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 21
I’ve heard about them I just thought there was something better in my price range. Again I’m not opposed to a cheaper headphone as long as it’s close to the cost of something that’s on the upper end of my price range.

They are a fair bit below your price range, I would recommend looking into their more expensive siblings Sundara or Ananda.
I just received mine the other day and I did find them to be a little bit more lively than the HD6XXs. I love the HD6XXs for jazz, classical, acoustic, etc. - when I'm in a chill mood. But, the HE4XXs are great for rock and pop and stuff. Can't get over the detail in the mid to high ranges with fantastic imaging. Also, the bass has a nice presence while still being tight and without bleeding into the mids.
The Sundara and Ananda will have slightly different sound signatures than the HE4XX, but the planar magnetics are actually quite fun to listen to and might provide what you're looking for.
If you look at those and aren't impressed, then I'd check the Focal Elex headphones @ Drop.com. They're on sale right now for $600. From what I've seen in the graphs, they have a bit more presence in the bass and highs than the HD6XXs which might give you what you're looking for.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks genck. I don’t think I can post anything in the full sized headphone section because I’m new to the forum. If I’m not mistaken the site doesn’t allow new members to post over there?
I didn't mean make a thread, you can post in those threads over there. Browse them and you'll get a feel for what you should get and ask those guys questions (in those threads). I just notice a lot of people giving responses in this "help" forum that are way out of line, just a heads up.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 21
I didn't mean make a thread, you can post in those threads over there. Browse them and you'll get a feel for what you should get and ask those guys questions (in those threads). I just notice a lot of people giving responses in this "help" forum that are way out of line, just a heads up.

Howdy, genck.

If you think some folks are giving bad advice here, then you should correct them! Just my 2c fwiw. :) Cheers, bro.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 21
Also look into the Fostex tr-x00. Comes in different flavors. The Ebony seems most balanced, yet still fun and engaging. The purple heart is going to offer some additional treble. There is also the E-mu Teak, which a lot of folks favor most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back