Help Determining Cause of Subtle Static / Blown-out Sound in Trusted FA-003s
Jun 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hexalamb

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what might have caused my FA-003s to develop a slight staticy distortion in the left driver. I've been using the cans for over a year with no issue.

I recently purchased a new turntable setup, including turntable (Rega RP-1), phono pre-amp (Rolls VP29) and a new headphone amp (Little Dot MKII). A few days into using them I began to notice this issue with my headphones. When I use different sources now I still have the same issue as when I use it with the turntable setup. (I've been using a uDac and a PC as a source throughout the lifetime of the cans.)

Some things to note:

-I did have a hum/buzz from the Little Dot at first (In the same channel that the static now appears in.) It seems like it was just a ground loop though, because using a different outlet or a cheater plug gets rid of the hum/buzz.

-I still have a slight hum/buzz, which appears to be the fault of the phono pre-amp, but this is in both channels.

-The first night I got the Little Dot, I left it to burn in overnight, not having experienced the ground loop buzz the night before, and the buzz was fairly loud when I put them on the next morning.

I've tried switching the cord inputs to the drivers on the FA-003 and using different sources, and the problem still persists in the left channel, so I assume it must be a problem with the driver.

My main concern is whether it was one of the pieces of equipment that caused this or if it was just a coincidence that my cans decided to crap out now. I'm looking at new cans, but want to make sure I'm not just going to ruin them too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Just one last test to verify that there is indeed a problem -- try reversing the headphones on your head and then using a DSP channel reverser. See if the problem side still static.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the response. Do you know of a free program that will do channel reversing? I'm looking at the moment, but so far I'm not sure what will do the trick.

Also, I have tried different files and sources many times. I'm pretty sure there is an issue somewhere in the equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back